Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaslam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Hey Guys, im in the Uk and want to buy the adaptor so I can use Airtunes to play music in my living room. However, I already have a non apple router set up so dont need to use it as a router. Is that possible? Also, how easy is it to set up?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Hey Guys, im in the Uk and want to buy the adaptor so I can use Airtunes to play music in my living room. However, I already have a non apple router set up so dont need to use it as a router. Is that possible? Also, how easy is it to set up?

If you mean the Airport Express, then yes, it should work with your existing setup. You can either set it up with a Cable connection or a Wireless connection. There's a setup program in the box, which takes you through various configurations - perhaps download the User-Guide from the Apple website and have a read.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think you have three basic options...

1) If your existing router supports standards for relay/remote on 802.11g networks, the Express will probably be able to "extend" the network. What this means is that you continue to have one wireless network, and the Airport Express has access to both the internet and the intranet without having to be physically connected to the other router. In some cases you might not be able to extend, but you can still "join," meaning that the Express has access to the intranet, but devices cannot join the network via the Express, and it does not function to extend the range of the network.

2) Otherwise, the next option is to plug the AE into a wired port of the router, which places it on the subnet. From there, it will create a separate network, and you can use the separate network for airtunes.

3) The final option is to have the AE not plugged into or joined to the router. It will not have access to the intranet, but you can still access the separate network that it creates solely for the purpose of Airtunes broadcasting.

net26

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
3) The final option is to have the AE not plugged into or joined to the router. It will not have access to the intranet, but you can still access the separate network that it creates solely for the purpose of Airtunes broadcasting.

can you access two wireless networks at once from say a mac mini? not as far as i know, so you EITHER have internet access via a wireless non-apple router, OR play airtunes, but not both at the same time, right?

another option, of course, is to connect your computer to your router via cable and use wireless just for airtunes...

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
This seemed to be getting overly complicated, so I took a quick look at my Airport Express Admin Utility, just to double-check.

Assuming you want to keep your existing Router, you can simply add the Airport Express via either Cable or WiFi to your existing network and play AirTunes through it, using iTunes.

Same network, the Airport Express will simply appear as a device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.