Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
- New Apple TV 4k 32gb (sole reason to play aerials)
- Set to "download new aerials = daily"
- Set to "city aerials" only (no aminals etc.)
- Set to 4K HDR (TV set)

...only see Dubai 4k since 3 days no other ones, swiping, restarting does not help!?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
When you say “sole reason”, does that mean you don’t have other apps installed?

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I have netflix installed (only additional app) and the apple tv is signed into an apple id

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It probably downloads all the other Themes too. You just select which you want to display and you can change anytime. So 3 days to download 1 each of Landscape, Earth and Underwater would be correct for where you are.

So you bought an ATV just to watch a screensaver?:oops:

Reactions: MacManiac76

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
I'd give it a bit of time. I noticed on my previous gen 4K when the fish screensavers came out, I didn't see one for months which was annoying. Then one day I noticed it had downloaded one. I have mine set to daily as well. Haven't checked my 2021 model though

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
This is a well documented issue. One of the FW updates a few months ago toasted the loading of new Aerial screensavers. Mine used to load new ones fairly often when set to download “Daily”, but it stopped a while back and just keeps rerunning the same few it has. I’ve read a lot of complaints on various forums, so we are not alone. Let us hope the 14.7 update coming in a few days will fix this issue.

BTW, the Earthview screensavers are stunning too. They were shot from the International Space Station. They don’t seem to be downloading new ones either.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I love the Aerials and sometimes I just let them play because they're so beautiful and calming. My favorites are the whales and dolphins. I can totally understand why you're anxious to get the ones you like downloaded, and I agree that you need to give it more time.

I love them so much I even use the Aerial app on my Mac mini's 4K display screensavers:

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I’m on my third tvOS device and have had this issue with all three. I’ve never found a solution beyond waiting an unreasonable amount of days/weeks.

We should be given complete control of which ones appear and how often. Really not a big ask.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I’m on my third tvOS device and have had this issue with all three. I’ve never found a solution beyond waiting an unreasonable amount of days/weeks.

We should be given complete control of which ones appear and how often. Really not a big ask.

My solution that works

- Download 4k Arials on MacOs that I like (with aerial github app)
- Make movie in iMovie (export as 4k)
- Download VLC app on Apple TV
- Send mp4 file to VLC app (press play and "repeat single")

Works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.