Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
okay, so MS decided to revert their policies. Anyone still buying their PS4, or are you guys going for the Xbox due to changes?

I'm going to stay with Sony on this one, Microsoft is being really childish with their ****. MS said they care about their gamers, yeah right. MS knew they were going down, so they had to do something about it.

Maybe next they'll offer a basic bundle (without Kinect) for $399? :eek:

I won't wait as long now - my limit for a new console is $299...

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Neither. I've found over the years that it's relatively pointless to pick up a new system at launch, other than to play around and be on the bleeding edge of console gaming. Most consoles take at least a year to build up a library of games worth playing.

One thing I saw at E3 that I WILL be buying: That $300 PS3 GTAV bundle. That's a great value, and since my PS3 crapped out on me a little over a year ago, I still have plenty of titles to catch up with (namely Last of Us). Plus the new game coming from Quantic Dream this year.

I figure I'll get my $300 worth out of the PS3 for a couple years, by which point the PS4 will have had a price drop and a respectable library of games.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I sold my 360 and games a few months back (got more of a premium) and pre-ordered a PS4 on Amazon as soon as I could.

So far I have been:

• PS2
  • Xbox 360
  • PS4

Seems like the next iteration after the newly announced will lead me to another Microsoft product :p

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Neither. I've found over the years that it's relatively pointless to pick up a new system at launch, other than to play around and be on the bleeding edge of console gaming. Most consoles take at least a year to build up a library of games worth playing.

One thing I saw at E3 that I WILL be buying: That $300 PS3 GTAV bundle. That's a great value, and since my PS3 crapped out on me a little over a year ago, I still have plenty of titles to catch up with (namely Last of Us). Plus the new game coming from Quantic Dream this year.

I figure I'll get my $300 worth out of the PS3 for a couple years, by which point the PS4 will have had a price drop and a respectable library of games.

So Sony doesn't repair broken hardware - sounds like a manufacturing defect ...

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
So Sony doesn't repair broken hardware - sounds like a manufacturing defect ...

They do if it's within warranty, just like any other OEM. I actually bought an extended Best Buy warranty...and it ran out a week before I started having issues.

I could have just sent it in for repair, but I was in a bit of a lull as far as my gaming habits go, and it actually worked well enough for Gamestop to take it (which I don't feel bad about, since they refurb it before reselling anyhow), so I went for it.

Anyhow, I feel like I got my money's worth out of the machine. I don't blame Sony. The 3 PS2s I had that ALL got the dreaded "Disc Read Error", however... that's another story.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I love the first year with consoles. It's great seeing them grow up with software libraries and firmwares, and usually there isn't a price cut for a couple of years.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I love the first year with consoles. It's great seeing them grow up with software libraries and firmwares, and usually there isn't a price cut for a couple of years.

And in the case of the Wii U - it has been so cool having those 30 cent releases and seeing those software updates and progressions - you really have a cooler view of its evolution having it from the beginning and seeing how it is 5 years from now.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

Regarding the price cut, that's the exact timeline I outlined in my post...which is one of the reasons I'm going to hold off for a couple years. I can watch them grow from the headlines, and jump in when it's affordable and there's enough games that I care about for each system.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
FYI:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57590170-75/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-revisit-xbox-ones-$499-price/

Microsoft has 'no plans' to revisit Xbox One's $499 price
Even as the company backtracks on its unpopular game-sharing policy, a company executive tells CNET that it won't budge on the price for the console, some $100 more than the rival PlayStation 4.

by Jay Greene June 19, 2013 5:41 PM PDT
204 CommentsFacebook124Twitter206Linked In1More

Microsoft may have just backtracked on its derided policy that had restricted game sharing in its Xbox One console that goes on sale later this year -- but don't count on the company to revisit other unpopular features of the upcoming console.

In an interview with CNET, Marc Whitten, the chief product officer for Xbox, said the company has "no plans" to lower the $499 price tag for the console, even though Sony's rival PlayStation 4 will debut at $399. He echoed previous statements from the company that the Xbox One will offer features not found elsewhere, such as its Kinect motion-sensing, voice-detecting controller.

"We are really, really excited about the value we're going to deliver on day one," Whitten said.

What's more, Microsoft has no plans to change its decision for the Kinect to be on by default, something some users worry might be creepy. Microsoft tried to diffuse some of those privacy concerns earlier this month, telling gamers that the system is "only listening for the single voice command -- 'Xbox On.'" But gamers can turn that feature off if they choose.

Microsoft says it thinks the Kinect is too central to the Xbox One experience, and the way that developers are creating games, to change the way it works.
"It's part of the Xbox One architecture," Whitten said.

The new policy announced earlier today does away with the much-loathed plans that would have required Xbox One gamers to connect their consoles to the Internet once a day to prevent game piracy. Gamers no longer will be required to do so.

But that policy also means gamers who purchase physical discs won't get some of the benefits of that Web strategy. Gamers were going to be able to access games from any console once they loaded the disc onto their Xbox One.

"You won't see that content now," Whitten said, though gamers will be able to see all the content they purchase digitally.

What's more, Microsoft is doing away with the policy of allowing up to 10 family members to share disc-based games even if they didn't have the disc in their console.

"We won't be delivering that," Whitten said.

Microsoft decided to alter the policy after the company recognized that it would be a "blocker" for some customers to buy the console, Whitten said. Gamers had voiced antipathy toward the idea of requiring a Web connection when rumors flew earlier this year, even before Microsoft announced the plan. But Whitten said the rancor didn't become clear to the company until after it discussed the policy at the E3 video game conference earlier this month

"E3 was the first time our complete program was out there to get complete feedback," Whitten said. "We heard that people valued the flexibility of physical discs."

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

I have to agree with this. I find the games that come out at launch usually aren't that great (they rely on the fact that people just got their consoles and want something to play on it) and that I enjoy a new console better when it's been out a while and there is a good library of games. Plus right now there are more games coming out for PS3 (and even xbox 360) that I'm interested in than anything at least announced for this year on the PS4 (there's a few for next year).

But eventually I'll get a PS4 unless some how Sony fails so bad it's got problems getting games like the Wii U (I don't foresee that happening). And maybe in the far future if I'm wanting a toy I'll get an xBox One. I'm not bitter enough at MS to count them out entirely now that they did a 180 (but then again, it was never my console of choice so it's not like they ruined my favorite console, I can understand where people who it was would be still pissed at MS though) and by the time I'd consider one it would be easy to see if they tried to re integrate the DRM they tried. But yes, if it has online requirement and tries to have some way to force people to digital (more importantly to me though the online requirement), it will be off the table period (I won't give MS the message I find that ok).

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I'll be getting an Xbox One as soon as I can find one after release (not bothering with a pre-order). I love the 360, love Xbox Live, and from the sound of it; am one of the few who love the Kinect. Works great for me.

After that I'll pick up a WiiU at some point. By then there should be a lot more games on it and hopefully the online shop will have a lot more of the games that I have already purchased on my Wii so I can redownload those (with a little $$).

I doubt I'll pick up a PS4. I rarely played my PS3 and every time I turned it on there was an update that took forever it seemed (never an issue updating the 360, Wii, or with my internet in general). I mainly used it for Blu-Ray and rarely at all for that as I do mostly digital now. And the Xbox One will have that covered. But the major reason is the controller. I can't stand the controller. It's basically the same design from the 90's with added features. It does not fit my hands well (long fingers/can palm a men's basketball). So I'll stick with the other 2.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
As I already have a Wii U, I'm going to do the sensible thing and spend the money on a Japanese copy of Pulstar for the Neo Geo AES.... which will sting me for about as much as an Xbox One, and be immensely more enjoyable.

:apple:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'll be getting an Xbox One as soon as I can find one after release (not bothering with a pre-order). I love the 360, love Xbox Live, and from the sound of it; am one of the few who love the Kinect. Works great for me.

After that I'll pick up a WiiU at some point. By then there should be a lot more games on it and hopefully the online shop will have a lot more of the games that I have already purchased on my Wii so I can redownload those (with a little $$).

I doubt I'll pick up a PS4. I rarely played my PS3 and every time I turned it on there was an update that took forever it seemed (never an issue updating the 360, Wii, or with my internet in general). I mainly used it for Blu-Ray and rarely at all for that as I do mostly digital now. And the Xbox One will have that covered. But the major reason is the controller. I can't stand the controller. It's basically the same design from the 90's with added features. It does not fit my hands well (long fingers/can palm a men's basketball). So I'll stick with the other 2.

Might be worth at least trying a PS4 before you discard it. The new DualShock apparently has longer handles, which might be better suited for your hands, and the issues with the OS/updates is also apparently resolved (ie: done in background, don't prevent you playing etc).

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Xbox one remotes have built in vibration feedback on the triggers. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

What I thought was cool was the Kinect - controller integration

I posted on here a couple years back I thought motion control would stop being a gimmick when they figured out how to integrate a conventional controller with Kinect style control. Because right now you're either swinging a wand at the screen (Wii/Move), or you're stuck on rails because you can't move in 3D space (360 Kinect). The rails made it useless for anything except dance and workout games.

It looks like they did finally that here.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Xbox One for me, Xbox Live and the superior controller for larger hands far outweighs the cheaper price of the PS4.

The PS4 controller is bigger than the PS3 controller, the analogue bits are much more tight too. And from the looks of it PSN has the same matchmaking, connectivity stuff XBLA and Steam has but with sharing content and free games.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
PS4, mostly because they're finally going to do more interactivity with the Vita. Also, I have close to 30 games that I've gotten fre via PSN+ and from what I've been reading, those will be carrying over to the PS4.

I have a 360 but I barely play it anymore since all the 360 exclusives I played are on PC (Alan Wake, Fable, etc), so unless Halo 5 is amazing (I really did enjoy H4, so there's a real possibility), I probably won't be getting an XBOne.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
To Be honest another feature I was choosing the xbox one was xbox live.

Most of my friends and family members have an xbox. I barely have any buddies with PSN not only that but a bunch of people go for xbox live. Which makes it much better for me since it's a way larger community. I feel like Xbox live people participate more in chats and overall team work. I've played war hawk, mw2,3. Uncharted 2,3 And star hawk online and I just prefer xbox live over it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The PS4 controller is bigger than the PS3 controller, the analogue bits are much more tight too. And from the looks of it PSN has the same matchmaking, connectivity stuff XBLA and Steam has but with sharing content and free games.

Its slightly beefier but the overall dimensions are very similar, i also hate the layout of the analogue sticks, the Xbox controller is vastly superior for FPS games. Im sorry but i own a 360 and PS3 and have since launch, from my experience Xbox live is lightyears ahead of PSN, Sony has alot of catching up to do and im sure its the reason they are charging to play online now.

I will be getting the PS4 as well btw but i may wait a month or two to save up for it, i enjoy playing the exclusives from both platforms. For example all the people not getting the Xbone are going to miss out on Titanfall :)

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Its slightly beefier but the overall dimensions are very similar, i also hate the layout of the analogue sticks, the Xbox controller is vastly superior for FPS games. Im sorry but i own a 360 and PS3 and have since launch, from my experience Xbox live is lightyears ahead of PSN, Sony has alot of catching up to do and im sure its the reason they are charging to play online now.

I will be getting the PS4 as well btw but i may wait a month or two to save up for it, i enjoy playing the exclusives from both platforms. For example all the people not getting the Xbone are going to miss out on Titanfall :)

Well it will be coming for xbox 360 as well, but it can't wait!!!

I'll be getting the xbox one edition to use up all the new hardware and graphics :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.