Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raven101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
so i was a snow leopard user before purchasing mountain lion
after upgrading i wanted to format but i didnt do a partion i erased my 120gb ssd using disk utility after i restarted and had an internet recovery i cant install ml they are wanting me to install lion

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
So install Lion via Internet Recovery. Then once installed, go back to the Mac App Store, sign in with the Apple ID you used to purchase Mountain Lion, download it again (free - you only buy it once) and install it over top of Lion.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Isn't great how we don't even get a usb stick of a product we purchase...ah the joys of getting to download two versions of osx just to do something that would take way less time if apple simply sent out or provided osx on usb at time of sale (new computer purchase,or online purchase of osx with option to pay more for usb)

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Isn't great how we don't even get a usb stick of a product we purchase...ah the joys of getting to download two versions of osx just to do something that would take way less time if apple simply sent out or provided osx on usb at time of sale (new computer purchase,or online purchase of osx with option to pay more for usb)

I agree - Everyone should pay more so that people with these unique requirements don't have to do extra work.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can make your own if you like, using Apple-supported procedures. Granted you can still argue that Apple should be furnishing the USB drives, but if they did, they'd probably raise the price of the OS purchase by about $8, at least.

Not really... all that app does is make you a recovery USB key that duplicates the function of the recovery partition or Internet Recovery on newer (2010+) machines. After you boot from a USB key made with that app, you still need to DL the entire 4.7GB OS over the Internet from Apple.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In that case, nix the "apple supported" and follow these instructions.

That will work once you get your hands on the disk image installer, but since OP did not buy ML from the App Store, he won't be able to get the installer there without paying for ML again.

The only way to get the installer on a new ML machine with paying through the app store is to snag it from Apple's servers during the recovery process by following this ridiculous procedure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.