Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
After installing OS X Yosemite (10.10) I keep on getting message saying I need Java Runtume, why? I uninstalled Java long time ago because I did not need it. But I went to Java website and obviously there isn't one for OS X Yosemite (10.10).

Can someone help me with this so the message would stop appearing.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If to message is about needing a legacy version of Java and has an "OK" and "More Info" buttons, hit more info and you'll be able to download what you need.

If you just need the latest and greatest, the Java site doesn't need to say it works with Yosemite, just download the Mac version from here.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
If to message is about needing a legacy version of Java and has an "OK" and "More Info" buttons, hit more info and you'll be able to download what you need.

If you just need the latest and greatest, the Java site doesn't need to say it works with Yosemite, just download the Mac version from here.

I did click on More Info and it tells me there isn't one Mac OS X 10.10 and this is when using Safari browser or when I turn on my iMac. I uninstalled when my OS was Mac OS X 10.9 and never had a problem why all of a sudden this is happening? And as for the latest version of Java why is it not yet up on Java.com if that is the version needed?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I did click on More Info and it tells me there isn't one Mac OS X 10.10 and this is when using Safari browser or when I turn on my iMac. I uninstalled when my OS was Mac OS X 10.9 and never had a problem why all of a sudden this is happening? And as for the latest version of Java why is it not yet up on Java.com if that is the version needed?

Can you post a screenshot of the message with the more info button and of the page in Safari that more info takes you to?

On java.com it says "You are running Mac OS X 10.10, which is currently an unsupported platform for Java 7. Starting with Java 8 Update 20 (8u20), download and install Java 8 from oracle.com.". Java 7 doesn't support Yosemite, but Java 8 does, that's what I linked you to in my post above.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Do you have the Adobe CS installed by any chance? I got this during the Beta. A clean install fixed it,

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
I keep getting this error as well. I downloaded 8u25 and installed, still get the error. I do have Adobe CS6, as was mentioned earlier, should I perform a clean install?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I keep getting this error as well. I downloaded 8u25 and installed, still get the error. I do have Adobe CS6, as was mentioned earlier, should I perform a clean install?

I believe CS needs Java 6, they're not backwards compatible. Does hitting more info on the error and then downloading what it links to not work for you? I have CS5.1 and it worked just fine and it has worked on several installs over the years for me.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
No, does not work. Creating a Yosemite bootable USB now. This should take all night.

How does it not work? I have seen it work many times for myself and others. If you could be more detailed maybe we can solve it for you and others.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
So is there a plan for Apple to fix this glitch or only few people are having this issue? If I remove the app that I am thinking that is the cause would it solve the problem?

Really dumb, Java is crap why is it still used like Flash I do not get.

----------

Amazon Cloud Drive app was causing the problem moved it to trash hopefully it will not appear again the message.

nomad707

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I got the Java Runtime popup as well and installed Java Platform (JDK) 8u25 from here. (Although I think just the JRE might work as well but this worked.)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
If you get the pop-up then you need Java 6. Java 7 or 8 will not work and you still would get the pop-up.

Imperialeagle

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Dreamweaver needs Java for OS X 2014-001

I got this message when trying to open Dreamweaver.
This is after installing Yosemite.
I got to this link below and downloaded and installed Java for OS X 2014-001 and Dreamweaver opened up just fine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Looks like Yosemite either knocked out that version which is required by Dreamweaver, or Adobe have yet to catch up with a new Java

nicmart

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Same problem

I get the same message, even after installing the latest version of Java as per Oracle’s instructions.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I got this message when trying to open Dreamweaver.

This is after installing Yosemite.

I got to this link below and downloaded and installed Java for OS X 2014-001 and Dreamweaver opened up just fine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Looks like Yosemite either knocked out that version which is required by Dreamweaver, or Adobe have yet to catch up with a new Java

Yes, that's what downloaded too. I've still yet to figure out why it isn't working for some people. I also installed Java 8 so have an up to date version as well. Wish someone would post saying how it's not working for them so we can clear this up for everyone...

Lactoes

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Been having the same prob since installing 10.10. Not sure what's asking for it - maybe CrashPlan?

I've installed Java v8 Update 40, to no avail.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Been having the same prob since installing 10.10. Not sure what's asking for it - maybe CrashPlan?

I've installed Java v8 Update 40, to no avail.

Did you install Java 6 from the page the "more info" button links to?

Eseifan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
I have the same problem since I installed Yosemite. I tried installing the latest Java version (v25 of something) but kept getting the same prompt telling me I need Java. I have no idea what programme is asking for it, I don’t have any CS or Photoshop type programmes (nothing at all from Adobe, in fact, apart from Flash). I uninstalled Java altogether but I still get the damn prompt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.