Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I have a mid 2011 & I must connect by wifi as the ethernet port is DEAD...I read that Apple Developer Geeks disconnected it when the OS was updated..... I bought a Auxkey that uses USB to Ethernet...it worked for about a week and its now dead. Anyone else with this problem and how did you or not solve it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have a mid 2011 & I must connect by wifi as the ethernet port is DEAD...I read that Apple Developer Geeks disconnected it when the OS was updated..... I bought a Auxkey that uses USB to Ethernet...it worked for about a week and its now dead. Anyone else with this problem and how did you or not solve it.

So just to clarify, the Ethernet has been dead for some time? You could always try reset PRAM/SMC... beyond that, it may be best to take it to an Apple Store.

If you're looking to fix your adapter, an OS update wouldn't have bricked that. It's more likely the adapter itself gave up the ghost.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Tried to reset Pram..did nothing to help...bought two of these...both failed.
Maybe Apple did this as they feel the ethernet port is not necessary...like wired earbuds for iPhone 7?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Maybe Apple did this as they feel the ethernet port is not necessary...like wired earbuds for iPhone 7?

I'm running a 2010 Mini on El Capitain right now. It's on Ethernet, and always has been; I've tested its Wifi from time to time, but never found a reason to use it.

I really doubt that Apple has anything against using Ethernet. There are many situations where being able to connect by wire is significantly better than going wireless...

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I was being sarcastic.....but you have no answer to my problem?

Well, honestly, I've never had (or even seen) the problem you're describing. :(

The built-in Ethernet port should be running on a different bus than a USB Ethernet dongle would. The fact that both have failed makes me wonder if there's something particular about the Ethernet setup at your location... Do you have other Ethernet based devices that are working without problems? (For example, Ethernet is not designed to supply power via the cable; as such, I could believe that a power surge running through the line could disable hardware.)

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
The mid-2011 Mini has a Thunderbolt port so a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter could be an option if you are not using that port for something else.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
i would do a clean install before i did anything else. The pram battery could also be bad. If clean install does not work, replace pram battery. I did that to a friends iMac that optical drive would not work and half of usb ports were dead. Fixed it all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.