Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Here's another vote for the older Mini with the external power supply. No fans. Stays cool all the time . . . and silent. I sure wish Apple would make these again.

I would say terrible things about those that hate the brick.

But I won't.

I do wish we had a nice 110 watt brick.

The restrictions caused by the internal psu are pretty bad.

And you need a power cord anyway so find a way to hide the brick.

But thats apple classic form over function bs.

your choice for a headless mac is still mac mini vs mac pro or 600 usd vs 3000 usd.

The iMac is pretty but worthless as a HT .

But thats right who needs HT with a 60 inch 4k screen when you can watch a movie on your iPhone or iPad.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
My mini sounds kinda like your average hairdryer when pushed (95-98% CPU load)..

A few hours later when the task is done it goes back to total silence with in a few seconds.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
When you finally get enough airflow with a hole or the cover off you will still have a very non-silent mini! I have been there and done this. The mini is no good for applications that require 20% or greater constant CPU load and low noise (like - recording studio). Struggled for 6 months with one and sold it for imac. Next best thing would be rMBP - though a nMP would be the champ here!.

Last idea - never went there but it was my next step. Take mini out of that case and put a proper heatsink on the CPU :)...

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
This is normal. The processors are rated to 105C and if they break that threshold they will shut down to protect themselves. Unless your mini is shutting down I see no reason to worry. This has been discussed time and time again. There is no widespread heat issues and only those storing their minis in poorly ventilated areas have any issues. There have been several threads on modifications if you really feel it necessary. With that said my mini has transcoded videos in handbrake for days straight running well into the 90s with no issues.

Totally agree.

I've run my 2.6GHz i7 for a year and a half now 24/7 doing Handbrake codes for days on end every week or so at temps around 98-100ºC. I've run my 2011 2.0GHz i7 server for years with long periods of 100% CPU stress with temps in the 90s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.