Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Kevill

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
ONE THING: I tried to change my resolution in my system preferences down to 800x600, and 640x480, or whatever they are ( as well as changing from millions of colors to thousands). Is this what you guys mean by changing the resolution? or is it in the settings when you hold down command when you launch AOEII... kuz if you do, I don't get that option.

I don't understand how some of you are getting it to work with leopard. Is it just my MBP that's holding me back, or has somebody succesfully gotten it to work on a MBP with leopard?

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get gaming again. Haven't played for a couple years!

Nate

The resolution isn't the problem. It's the number of colours. AoE2 expects (quite reasonably) to be able to switch to 256 colour mode. Apple has removed that.

Scott.

MayaMachine

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
hmm, well I hope for good reason. So there's no hope for me until they (whoever "they" may be) get that figured out with apple?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I still think AoE2 is better, owning AoE3 myself. AoE2 is all about gameplay. AoE3 has too much focus on just graphics. However, it's still a good game.

I haven't had this problem with AoE2 on an iMac purchased in January. Is this issue only for the newest iMacs?

Kamixtli

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
destineer just released an update, might want to check it out:

http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/aoe2.html

Direct Download:
http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/dl/AoE2_1.0.6_Updater_US.zip

Age of Empires II Update Version 1.0.6

Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Update addresses several problems in the game including improved networking and improved OS X support. It is recommended for all users.

As of this update, Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later is required.

Click below to update Age of Empires II: Gold Edition for Macintosh to version 1.0.6. After the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file. This will create a file called "Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Updater" Double-click on this file and follow the instructions on the screen to update the game.

Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Update addresses several problems in the game including improved networking and improved OS X support. These include the following:

1. Fixed Out of Sync errors when playing a network multiplayer game with a host or client running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later on an Intel-based Mac.
2. Fixed DrawSprocket errors that prevented the game from starting on some Intel-based Macs.
3. "Use 256 Colors on Mac OS X" in the config dialog is no longer enabled by default, this is to help prevent problems with some Intel-based Macs.
4. "Use 256 Colors on Mac OS X" has been renamed to "Force 256 colors (Use on older Macs)" to clarify its purpose.
5. Fixed layout of French and German config dialogs so strings are no longer cut off.
6. Updated GameRanger libraries
7. Updated NetSprocket library to eliminate sporadic errors when joining a game.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It's great to see MacSoft still supporting the game. That said, I have yet to try the 1.06 update but looks promising.

Good on MacSoft!

Hydragoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Boise, ID
Background music and Narration Missing?

I tried to play Age of Empires II but discovered a sound problem. There is no background music or narration. While it's not imperative for play, I would like to know if someone else has the problem and if there's a way to fix it. I like the music and the single-player campaigns aren't as fun without the "cutscenes."

MayaMachine

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008

Direct Download:

Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Update addresses several problems in the game including improved networking and improved OS X support. It is recommended for all users.

Click below to update Age of Empires II: Gold Edition for Macintosh to version 1.0.6. After the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file. This will create a file called "Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Updater" Double-click on this file and follow the instructions on the screen to update the game.

Age of Empires II 1.0.6 Update addresses several problems in the game including improved networking and improved OS X support. These include the following:

1. Fixed Out of Sync errors when playing a network multiplayer game with a host or client running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later on an Intel-based Mac.
2. Fixed DrawSprocket errors that prevented the game from starting on some Intel-based Macs.
3. "Use 256 Colors on Mac OS X" in the config dialog is no longer enabled by default, this is to help prevent problems with some Intel-based Macs.
4. "Use 256 Colors on Mac OS X" has been renamed to "Force 256 colors (Use on older Macs)" to clarify its purpose.
5. Fixed layout of French and German config dialogs so strings are no longer cut off.
7. Updated NetSprocket library to eliminate sporadic errors when joining a game.

AWESOME! I guess Christmas just came early this year. haha this is awesome news. Thanks for the heads up man. wooo!

...shoot, now I just gota find my game again... I think I tossed it somewhere after hours of trying to get it to work :rolleyes:

I Don't Exist

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I tried to play Age of Empires II but discovered a sound problem. There is no background music or narration. While it's not imperative for play, I would like to know if someone else has the problem and if there's a way to fix it. I like the music and the single-player campaigns aren't as fun without the "cutscenes."

They work for me, even with the latest update. Have you tried checking the settings in the config dialog? Hold down the Command(Apple) key when launching the game. There are options in there to disable background music and other sound, make sure they're not checked. It probably wouldn't hurt to double check the in game options for sound and music volume too.

MayaMachine

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
hmm. well i gave the update a go, and it does let me sometimes play NOT online. I have to open up aoeII an average of 3 or 4 times ("unexpectedly quit") until i can get it to run, and then it will be perfect from then on.

however online game play doesn't work at all (gameranger). it will "unexpectedly quit" anytime i try to join a game. and even when trying to join manually with the ip, and going to the "Multilayer" menu, it says it can't find the game.

So in all I guess it's definitely a step forward, but not a complete fix. At least I can play computers and the campaign. I'm completely fine with the "unexpectedly" quitting, because I can always get in, just a matter of how many times I try. But the thing is that I really wanted to play online. Other people seem to have it working, guess I'm just the unlucky one :(, or doing something completely wrong hehe...

Kamixtli

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I had a similar issue where it would crash my game 3/4 times, I fixed it by holding apple while aoe2 was opening and enabling 256 color mode, for some reason disabling 256 colors for me was causing the game to crash almost every game...

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
What is your most favourite civilisation(s) to play as?

Mine are the Byzantines and Persians.

smelliot207

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
swgb

thanks that download worked:D
but i still have the same problem with star wars galactic battlegrounds saying the same thing "drawsprocket cannot switch to the requested resolution (640x480, 16bit, 1 buffer(s))
any fixes or help
i have a new macbook and 10.5.4 thanks

hylight

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008

Direct Download:

German Version Direct Link:
http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/dl/AoE2_1.0.6_Updater_DE.zip

Christmas has really come earlier this year.
I love AoEII, it is easy to use and yet complex enough multiplayer game
I will try AoEIV just to support the developers, but if it is more similar to AoEIII then I will stick to the oldie AoEII

German Version Direct Link:
http://www.destineerstudios.com/support/dl/AoE2_1.0.6_Updater_DE.zip

Christmas has really come earlier this year.
I love AoEII, it is easy to use and yet complex enough multiplayer game
I will try AoEIV just to support the developers, but if it is more similar to AoEIII then I will stick to the oldie AoEII

As you love AoE 2, I'd get the lot: AoMythology, AoE III & both expansion packs. At least, that's what I'll be doing.

Btw, the newly-released "Asian Dynasties" for Mac will be the 2nd exp pack for AoE III. There's no "AoE IV" as yet on any platform, but I guess there probably will be at some point.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I keep getting a blank error when i try to launch the game after updating to 1.0.6.

Any ideas?

2.4GHz macbook, 10.5.5.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 212

gameguy3001

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
I installed the patch on my new MBP but whenever I try a LAN game, it runs for a couple seconds then I get an out of sync error. But the patch says that it corrected those issues. Any ideas whats happening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.