Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello,

I picked up Age of Empires 3 at the Apple Store.

I haven't opened it yet because I need to know, does the game require for the DVD to be in the drive?

If that's the case then I'll just return it and wait if it's ever released on the Mac App Store.

Thanks,

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Thank you so much!

So all I have to do is install the game and install the latest update from the Main Menu and the game will become CD Free?

Thanks,

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hey gregorsamsa,

Went ahead and opened the game.

And after updating from the link you sent, it works without the DVD.

Great! Really appreciate your help, none of the guys at the Apple store had any idea if the DVD had to be inside the game.

Again, thank you!

Yep, all the updates should be available via the Main Menu's Help & Tools section.

I haven't played it since before my iMac died in March, but the game has been updated since then. Most recent patch was 1.0.6 & released only last month. For reference:

AoE 3: Destineer Games Support

M. Malone,

You're welcome & good to know that it works, so thanks for letting me know!

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I did, even though admittedly I have a strong bias in favour of the historical context the game is set in. So much so, I intend to replay it on the hardest levels later.

By the by, hopefully we'll also be seeing Empire: Total War making its way to Mac fairly soon. Some compelling evidence for it in link below, 10th post:

Any more TW games coming to Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.