Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AIM for iPhone Updated, Moves to Ad-Supported and Paid Versions

AOL's AIM [App Store] has been updated to version 2.0.1, bringing several new features, as well as a change to an ad-supported model for the free edition. AOL also promises that an ad-free paid version is currently working its way through Apple's approval process and should be available soon.

Among the new features available in AIM are tools to access contacts directly from within the application, configure multiple screen names and easily switch between them, and share locations with buddies to find nearby friends. In order to work around Apple's limitations on applications running in the background AIM has also developed a system to allow users to stay logged in for up to 24 hours, even when the application is not open. Users can then receive notification of incoming messages via SMS.

Article Link: AIM for iPhone Updated, Moves to Ad-Supported and Paid Versions

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No. Guess I'll have to use another client then (as if I used AIM much before anyways :eek:).

On a related note Live Messenger in Windows is so rubbish. I can't believe they're squeezing adverts in every corner of that thing. And media player has adverts too! WTF. Maybe I've been using a Mac for too long.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
AIM for Windows has been ad supported for awhile. Along with taking you to some kind of home page until you can find the option to turn it off (the home page, ads can't be turned off)

Luckily I use iChat, and Apple hasn't used ads in any apps since I switched in 2004. I did see a demo of Sherlock 2 on an old Keynote that had ads, but dunno if they made it into the final version.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that AIM 1.0 for iPhone didn't have ads, though it was full of bugs.

Oh well, time to find an AIM alternative.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Pay? AOL PAY AIM. Why is it I'm thinking that the annoying ads are not only a way to make money, but also to make it so annoying that you feel compelled to buy the app just to get rid of the ads. Well, I guess I wont be using AIM anymore.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm sure it's pay / ad supported now because of the 24 hour login that they supply now. Compare this to Beejive which does the same thing - 16.99! It's totally worth it.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Paying for IM just seems wrong, especially on top of your 3G or Wi-Fi access costs. And AOL are not the only game in town, nor are they as monolithically pervasive or compelling as they once were.

Why Apple doesn't build iChat (even text-only, non-AV iChat) into iPhone, I still can't fathom.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
Likewise, my friend. Likewise.

iChat is very welcome to find its way onto the last blank slot of preloaded apps on my home screen. :) Fill 'er with something good, boys!

Same here, along with a voice recorder (I know there are 3rd party but that is something that should be built in on every phone) and a video recorder!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I guess it is irrelevant since Push Notifications have completely vanished. It is useless without that.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Why Apple doesn't build iChat (even text-only, non-AV iChat) into iPhone, I still can't fathom.

I'm pretty sure it's not up to Apple. AT&T probably has a contract with Apple that says Apple is not allowed to provide any service that could directly compete with AT&T's VERY lucrative SMS text messaging business.

However, even if that weren't the case, Apple probably still wouldn't put iChat on the iPhone until push notification is enabled, which they still have not done (again, probably related to disputes with AT&T over how to handle them). The reason is because the average Joe using iChat would expect iChat to handle push notification and Apple sees the lack of push as diluting the "easy to use/just works" brand image they have so carefully built up over the years. So they're not going to put what they feel is an inferior product and what consumers might misconstrue as being a "hard-to-use" or "non-functional" Apple product. However, Apple will allow AIM and others to do IM on the iPhone without push, should they so desire.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's not up to Apple. AT&T probably has a contract with Apple that says Apple is not allowed to provide any service that could directly compete with AT&T's VERY lucrative SMS text messaging business.

I doubt it.

AT&T allows AIM on other phones in their lineup. No reason they would deny this on the iPhone.

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
I doubt it.

AT&T allows AIM on other phones in their lineup. No reason they would deny this on the iPhone.

If I recall correctly from when my mom was shopping for phones, other phone's aim clients actually eat up sms messages. At least that's what I recall the att rep saying.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!

However, even if that weren't the case, Apple probably still wouldn't put iChat on the iPhone until push notification is enabled, which they still have not done (again, probably related to disputes with AT&T over how to handle them). The reason is because the average Joe using iChat would expect iChat to handle push notification and Apple sees the lack of push as diluting the "easy to use/just works" brand image they have so carefully built up over the years. So they're not going to put what they feel is an inferior product and what consumers might misconstrue as being a "hard-to-use" or "non-functional" Apple product. However, Apple will allow AIM and others to do IM on the iPhone without push, should they so desire.

There is already a VERY POPULAR APP that allows you to send SMS for free without it eating up your SMS's.

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I upgraded yesterday but it wasn't the pay version (said it wasn't out yet). Seemed to work fine, I set it to online for 24 hours and had a friend IM me while I wasn't running the app. Then I ran it and I got the message.

Although I tried setting up the SMS texting so I'd be notified, I entered my phone# and was told I'd get a confirmation text. I freaking got no text.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
OMG! An advertisement! Outrageous!

Well enjoy your $17 BeeJive IM app, I'll stick with my Free AIM. Especially since it works. I will never pay for free instant messages.

Sorry, I can't really help, I just wanted to emphasize how important this issue is. I had to log in on AIM on my iPhone and change it to log out immediately yesterday, then change it back this morning. It'll get frustrating if I have to do this on a daily basis. First post, by the way.
I think you'd have to sign in again anyway because doesn't the longest option log you out after 24 hours?

Skycutter

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I upgraded yesterday but it wasn't the pay version (said it wasn't out yet). Seemed to work fine, I set it to online for 24 hours and had a friend IM me while I wasn't running the app. Then I ran it and I got the message.

Although I tried setting up the SMS texting so I'd be notified, I entered my phone# and was told I'd get a confirmation text. I freaking got no text.

ive had the same problem!

app runs fine and the ads didnt bother me but when im trying to register my number i dont get the unlocking code texted to me!!

has anyone received the text ?

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I absolutely despise the update. I wont be using it anymore. My LG phone works just fine with AIM.

Second thought: Depending what the paid version looks like, I might buy it. That is, if it's under $1.99

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
If I recall correctly from when my mom was shopping for phones, other phone's aim clients actually eat up sms messages. At least that's what I recall the att rep saying.

I think this is true - I used to have Verizon and had some crummy Korean flip phone and there was an AIM client you could download but it sent your IM's as text messages (they'd come through as IM but be charged as text and that way you didn't have to have a data plan, just a texting plan). It was horrible.

Anyway, I do use iChat on my MBP but only for video purposes and I have less than 10 buddies. Facebook chat has been far more useful and I'll tell you this: if FB ever adds video chat my AIM account is GONE! AIM on the iPhone is a useless waste of time for me and I would never download software written by AOL, based on the history of AOL. Anyone remember AOL about 10 years ago on Windows? You'd load the 30 meg software and end up with about 500 megs less of available storage. Why? Because they'd installed ICQ and Compuserve and Netscape and all sorts of other promo junk that would install in the Windows system tray and slow the computer down. JUNK WARE!

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
OMG! An advertisement! Outrageous!

Well enjoy your $17 BeeJive IM app, I'll stick with my Free AIM. Especially since it works. I will never pay for free instant messages.

lol, seriously. Guess the ONE little ad gets people all up in arms.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.