Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
A non computer literate acquaintance has bought an Aiptek 12000U tablet. It looks like a crock of crap and I couldn't get it to work despite downloading a supposed OSX driver.

Has anyone been able to make their Aiptek work in OSX? was there anything tricky to know. I wrote to their tech support but I'm not hopeful of getting a reply.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Have you tried the driver from this page?

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/asian/english/service/dl/d_tablet_8000u_12000u.htm

It was released in April of this year, so it might be better than one you've found elsewhere. There are about twenty country-specific Aiptek pages, and this was the only one that seemed to offer a decent OS X driver without all sorts of "unsupported OS" qualifications.

My apologies if you've already been there, done that. It's just that sometimes it helps to have twenty people scouring the Web on your behalf than going it alone.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
eji said:
My apologies if you've already been there, done that. It's just that sometimes it helps to have twenty people scouring the Web on your behalf than going it alone.

Thanks for trying. I did find that one by accident yesterday. It actually downloads as 1.61, which you'd think would be better. But alas I still couldn't make it work. It did seem to install but I could not find any control panel. Wacom's control panel shows up in the system prefs but not this one. I can't even find any documentation anywhere on the web to see if this tablet supports tilt and bearing.

If checked a bunch of posts on this subject where the mac driver is mentioned but I've not yet come across an actual real life person who has it working.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hector said:
sell it an buy a wacom.

Yep that's what I said. I can't believe it's got a groove at the top to lay down the pen, sort of like the desks when I was in primary school. Nevertheless as he's not going to be able to fork out for an A4 wacom, I was hoping that it might actually work a bit, especially when I saw it had an OSX driver. But I can't be bothered wasting any more time on it. Unless someone tells me they have one working in OSX.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Wow, you revived a thread which was almost 2 years old! :)

Before I got my first tablet back in 2004 I considered brands like Aiptek & Trust, but luckily before I could purchase one I received a Wacom Graphire 3 A5 as a gift and have never looked back! It's broken now sadly, and £35 - £40 for a new pen, so I'm looking at getting an Intuos or Cintiq.

bay2sacto

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
My uncle has a Aiptek tablet on his Dell for doing some light art. I've always used Wacom tablets and always heard how much better they were than the "other" brands. I had to install it again for him the other day and it is a piece of crap. I don't know how anybody can get work done with one. 1. it uses batteries to power the pen. 2. It has a serious lag when trying to use the pen. Coming from an Intuos 3 it was almost worse than a mouse because of the lag. 3. The included software refused to run. I ended up getting my uncle setup with Photoshop Elements 6.

But I told him if the lag was too much he could find a new Wacom Bamboo for around $100. I couldn't believe him when he told me he originally paid $130 for the inferior Aiptek!

x-pan

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Leeds, UK
Mac Osx Drivers For Aiptek And Nisis Tablets

I got myself a very cheap brand new tablet today from ebay for a total of £12 with p&p, probably because it doesn't have any support or properly working drivers. Took me an hour to track the proper drivers for both MAC OSX (Leopard) and Vista (32bit), but it was worth it! :) Pressure levels work fine and accurately.

Click here to download an OSX driver that works for both AIPTEK and NISIS Easypen G3 tablets (all are OEM anyway). Tested with After Effects CS3, Photoshop CS3, Shake 4, and probably works with Illustrator too. The driver is actually for an AIPTEK media tablet 14000U (v1.72) but it works for all.

For XP/Vista drivers click here

Cheers:D

thundermuppet

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
NL
Wow, you revived a thread which was almost 2 years old! :)

Let's do that trick again... :D

Updated Driver on FTP: Pen_Pad_Driver_V2.01_MAC.zip

Pen Pad Driver for Aiptek Hyperpen series and probably will work with a lot of other tablets too!
I use the 12000U with it and yes it sucks compared to a Wacom, but hey, I paid a few hundred bucks less ;)

Works under Mac OS 10.6.4

Oh well... have a nice day anyway

golly

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2001
the tablet works with 2.01 driver but not fully. i cannot get Penpad.app to open so can't adjust any settings. mouse cursor is very slow in moving and can't assign actions to pen bu ttons. when try to launch penpad.app -error dialogue appears stating tablet driver not loaded at startup or if it has been installed plug in tablet!!! tablet is plugged in. if i look in library/application support/hyperpen tablet - there are2 items there Hyperpen driver.app and Hyperpentabletdriver.app. have tried selecting these as Login items in accounts settings but then there is some sort of conflict as get double screens and misbehaving erratic flashing cursors. Any suggestions on what to do to get a fully functioning 1200u tablet to work in snow leopoard 10.6.4 ??
thanks

thundermuppet

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
NL
Hey Mike

Yeah had that too at first. Restarted / (un)plugged tablet a few times in different order and it miraculously worked... strange eh?

Hope it works for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.