Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Sigh, it'll not be noticeable in real world terms, not for the types of things they'll have an undergraduate student running.

Also, you're using windows benchmarks... MATLAB runs faster on windows (even in a virtual environment) than it does on OSX, so you can't use you're screen shot to argue he should spend the extra money over an i5 because the magnitude of difference may not be the same.

Yes, because most of the programs he will be using will be windows only... He meant not use matlab at all... He meant use Mathcad.. or he could use anysys which are windows only.

What about cad programs? Is he gone to reboot all of the time to change his design.. No, just use windows.. Solidworks, Inventor, NX, Solidedge, CATIA are windows only

Last edited:

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Yes because most of the programs he will be using is windows only... He not meant use matlab at all... He meant use Mathcad.. or he could use anysys which are windows only. What about cad programs? He is gone to reboot all the of time to change his design.. No just use windows.. Solidworks, Inventor, NX, Solidedge, CATIA are windows only

Sorry? I'm not sure I understand.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Did look at the benchmarks I posted? It was half of time easily worth $150

I like how you chine in randomly..

I don't obsessively check MacRumors constantly.

Yes I saw the benchmarks. They weren't for Haswell, and as such, irrelevant.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
My what a bltch session you started.

Hey there,

Due to the projected time of release of the new pro in the fall, do you think the 13inch air would work for an engineering student.
No. Mainly due to the lack of a discrete GPU. This assumes that you get involved a significant amount of signal processing that might be associated with exploration. Of course petroleum engineering can imply lots of things. However discrete GPU can be exploited to a large extent by a number of engineering related apps.
I was really looking forward to the new pro, but will need a computer for my August start of classes.
Then get the current Pro. Seriously Haswell doesn't do that much for you performance wise though it helps power significantly.
I'm not 100 percent on programs ran by petroelum engineers, but I'd assume it's similar to that of other engineer students. Any help is appreciated!
Your best bet is to talk to the university or some of the students in the exact program you will be following. There can be massive differences in hardware requirements to run some of the apps common to engineering. If you don't know what apps the program will be using then you have zero chance of buying the right hardware.

Beyond all of that I'm fairly certain the first couple of years will not demand a lot of your laptop. Again I could be wrong there and students that have taken your program would likely be able to clue you in better but generally your first year of college involves a lot of building of base knowledge. There is a good arguement for buying cheap for your first year or so and then upgrading to a more capable machine.

In the end the decision is yours but a word of caution, prefer machines with maxed out RAM, especially on the AIRs. 8GB isn't really a lot today, especially if you choose to run Windows in a Vitual Machine.

Of all the suggestions and silly arguments seen in this thread so far, the best suggestion is to go with a 13" MBP. The other thing I'd suggest is to hold off to the absolute last minute. We still don't know when the MBP will come, sadly I suspect the end of September. However it is always possible they might come earlier.

By the way normally I'd argue against going to college with a brand new high performance computer as you won't need it early in you school year. A laptop from Apples refurb operation would save you a few bucks. The problem is this years Haswell machines provide one thing all students need - battery life. If the Haswell based MBPs don't come out in time, buy an AIR and be happy; it will most certainly last you a couple of years. In the end the battery life will likely be more useful to you than the extra CPU and GPU performance of the MBP.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
MATLAB running on iPad? Nope, never. Remotely yes, but using iPad hardware for more than that, no.

Tell that to my professors, because they didn't get that memo then.

MatLAB has its own application for the iPad and make take 10 seconds to fully run a program when it needs to plot out something, but it does the job very nicely.

Not remotely, lol, what a joke. It's a simplified version of the real thing made for faculty by MatLAB for the iPad.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Absolute BS.

MatLAB demands more processor than RAM.

And I assume you are using loops for every bit of calculation right?

If you code correctly and for efficiency, you don't use loops, you use vector ops. In doing that, you will realize matlab like to load the entire variable in ram and manipulate it that way. Even running out of memory, the vectorization of the code is light years faster than using loops

Then again, I doubt your usage of Matlab entails 100s of gigs of variables being manipulated at once does it, where limited memory never is a factor?

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
And I assume you are using loops for every bit of calculation right?

If you code correctly and for efficiency, you don't use loops, you use vector ops. In doing that, you will realize matlab like to load the entire variable in ram and manipulate it that way. Even running out of memory, the vectorization of the code is light years faster than using loops

Then again, I doubt your usage of Matlab entails 100s of gigs of variables being manipulated at once does it?

Time again and again I have to agree heavily with this.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Tell that to my professors, because they didn't get that memo then.

MatLAB has its own application for the iPad and make take 10 seconds to fully run a program when it needs to plot out something, but it does the job very nicely.

Not remotely, lol, what a joke. It's a simplified version of the real thing made for faculty by MatLAB for the iPad.

Unless Mathworks have made a version of MATLAB for your university which they have kept a secret from everyone else, your lecturers are using the official app which remotely connects to either Mathworks own cloud processors, or running on their own machine remotely.

Check the App Store if you don't believe me, but please stop posting the wrong information..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.