Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
You seem to have difficulties in understanding what a design flaw is (a defect that affect all the unit by design) and what a defective unit is.
Yes, in mass production there are defective units. Thousands.

I have NO difficulties whatsoever. I stand firmly by my statements. We have to agree to disagree.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have NO difficulties whatsoever. I stand firmly by my statements. We have to agree to disagree.
You could stand firmly by the assumption earth is a flat surface, that doesn't make it true.
By definition a design flaw must affect all the units, since this isn't the case, the defect you surely had on your units doesn't qualify as a design flaw.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
You could stand firmly by the assumption earth is a flat surface, that doesn't make it true.
By definition a design flaw must affect all the units, since this isn't the case, the defect you surely had on your units doesn't qualify as a design flaw.

How do personal attacks and insults against my intelligence and valid points of view help you win a debate? “Flat Earth”?? Really?

Saying that there are “no flaws” when there clearly are doesn’t make the flaws disappear. AGAIN, let us simply say we just disagree, and keep it RESPECTFUL and POLITE.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
How do personal attacks and insults against my intelligence and valid points of view help you win a debate? “Flat Earth”?? Really?

Saying that there are “no flaws” when there clearly are doesn’t make the flaws disappear. AGAIN, let us simply say we just disagree, and keep it RESPECTFUL and POLITE.
Personal attack ??? It was just an example. I don't really think you believe earth is flat...... I'm sorry if you think differently.
Win a debate ? There are no debates. All the air 2 I tried had no defect, so there is no design flaws in that respect, by definition. I'm not denying your was defective. I didn't test it

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Personal attack ??? It was just an example. I don't really think you believe earth is flat...... I'm sorry if you think differently.
Win a debate ? There are no debates. All the air 2 I tried had no defect, so there is no design flaws in that respect, by definition. I'm not denying your was defective. I didn't test it

I firmly believe what I know. You believe what you have experienced. To “agree to disagree” means we both disagree. Again, let us leave it at that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I don't see any personal attack in Max's posts, and I think they ARE keeping it respectful and polite.

And I'm not sure why we should agree to disagree here. My Air 2 is perfect, and Max says their Air 2 is perfect. How does it make sense for you to disagree with that? You have no basis to agree or disagree with our assertions. You haven't seen and touched our iPads. And we haven't seen and touched your iPad, and we don't know how much pressure you are putting on it when you hold your iPad "normally." Maybe we just happen to hold our iPads in such a way that the screen doesn't distort? The only way to know for sure is to meet up and compare.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I firmly believe what I know. You believe what you have experienced. To “agree to disagree” means we both disagree. Again, let us leave it at that.

There is nothing to agree or disagree here. Night Spring reporting that his iPad had not that " defect" is sufficient to demonstrate that there could be defective units, like yours, but there is no design flaw in that respect. I tried more than 30 units, and I had to press quite hard to reproduce some effect on the screen. I was quite uncomfortable doing that, because it was like I was ruining those units, and I'm not the type of person to go in a store to break other's properties. That is not normal usage.
Seriously, do you know what "design flaws" means?

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I don't see any personal attack in Max's posts, and I think they ARE keeping it respectful and polite.

And I'm not sure why we should agree to disagree here. My Air 2 is perfect, and Max says their Air 2 is perfect. How does it make sense for you to disagree with that? You have no basis to agree or disagree with our assertions. You haven't seen and touched our iPads. And we haven't seen and touched your iPad, and we don't know how much pressure you are putting on it when you hold your iPad "normally." Maybe we just happen to hold our iPads in such a way that the screen doesn't distort? The only way to know for sure is to meet up and compare.

First off, Max(IT) says he does not own an Air 2. Secondly, this thread started in November 1, 2013 by xenaki (1,930 replies), pointing out the obvious design abnormality known as the “bookspine shadow”, which still exists to this very day on Air 1 units. This same thread has many people who feel the same as I do.

Max, I question weather you truly understand what manufacturing is, design freezes, and product launches are. I respectfully suspect you are not involved in manufacturing as I am. As I have stated multiple times, NOTHING is flawless in a mass produced product. Therefore, design compromises are made to meet deadlines and not go over budget. These design compromises (flaws) screen distortion due to thin chassis, for example, are present at product launch. Just because you don’t recognize them while the product still sells in spite of them, doesn’t mean they do not exist.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
First off, Max(IT) says he does not own an Air 2. Secondly, this thread started in November 1, 2013 by xenaki (1,930 replies), pointing out the obvious design abnormality known as the “bookspine shadow”, which still exists to this very day on Air 1 units. This same thread has many people who feel the same as I do.

I tried more than 30 !
Thirty, dude! How much effort it takes to try this issue ? You stated the issue is presenting just by barely handling the device. You are contradicting yourself over and over again....

This thread is fueled mainly by you (and me not letting you win the dispute).
There is no hundreds of users coming here to complain. Just a bunch of users....
The iPad Air 2 is selling very well, and there are no massive returns.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I tried more than 30 !
Thirty, dude! How much effort it takes to try this issue ? You stated the issue is presenting just by barely handling the device. You are contradicting yourself over and over again....

This thread is fueled mainly by you (and me not letting you win the dispute).
There is no hundreds of users coming here to complain. Just a bunch of users....
The iPad Air 2 is selling very well, and there are no massive returns.

I never said “barely” pressing. You just contradicted yourself by admitting the screen does indeed distort when pressing the back. Again, allegedly “testing” in a retail store is not the same as owning one. How do you know there are not massive returns? Only Apple knows that, certainly not you. How do you know the Air 2 is selling so well? Actually iPad sales are down and flat at best with all the competitors out there.

“Win a dispute”???
No one is “winning” anything. This is a discussion thread. You think all iPads are flawless, and I do not.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I never said “barely” pressing. You just contradicted yourself by admitting the screen does indeed distort when pressing the back. Again, allegedly “testing” in a retail store is not the same as owning one. How do you know there are not massive returns? Only Apple knows that, certainly not you. How do you know the Air 2 is selling so well? Actually iPad sales are down and flat at best with all the competitors out there.

“Win a dispute”???
No one is “winning” anything. This is a discussion thread. You think all iPads are flawless, and I do not.

Every screen distort if you press enough on the back. A very thin device make no difference in that.
The point is: you don't have to press it on the back. There is no reason to do that, if not to demonstrate a non existent issue.
And, again, you don't need to actually OWN a device, to press on the back of it. You just need to have it in your hands. And I did it with something like thirty units.....

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Every screen distort if you press enough on the back. A very thin device make no difference in that.
The point is: you don't have to press it on the back. There is no reason to do that, if not to demonstrate a non existent issue.
And, again, you don't need to actually OWN a device, to press on the back of it. You just need to have it in your hands. And I did it with something like thirty units.....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1808921/

Look at andyw715's video. enough said...
Andy is “just having it in his hands” and is not pressing hard on the back. Yes, there IS a difference in allegedly “testing” in a retail store with an anti-theft tether on the unit and actually owning one.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1808921/

Look at andyw715's video. enough said...
Andy is “just having it in his hands” and is not pressing hard on the back. Yes, there IS a difference in allegedly “testing” in a retail store with an anti-theft tether on the unit and actually owning one.

I was aware of that video, and that's the test I did, pushed by the curiosity. I can't replicate that on any unit. If I intentionally pushed harder, I saw a little distortion, but it was a totally unnatural move, and not something an user is going to do during normal usage.
The anti theft tether doesn't interfere at all, being installed on a corner lower than that position.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You think all iPads are flawless, and I do not.

I don't think Max said all iPads are flawless. I'm sure that it's possible there are some Air2 units out there where the screen distorts with normal handling. But I know mine doesn't distort when I hold it. And Max tried thirty units and says he had to press very hard to produce a distortion. I suppose it's possible that if you pressed very hard on my iPad, it could distort, but since I don't have that much strength, it's a non-issue for me.

Now, what I'm not clear on is what your position is. Are you saying you don't believe us when we say my iPad, and the ones Max tested in store, don't distort under normal handling? Or did you misunderstand us, and think we were saying all iPads are flawless?

I think it is possible that there are flawed Air2s out there that distort by just holding it. But I know not all Air2 have this problem, because mine doesn't.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Now, what I'm not clear on is what your position is. Are you saying you don't believe us when we say my iPad, and the ones Max tested in store, don't distort under normal handling?

My experience is that every Air 2 I have tried in the stores (30+) along with the 12 my company has owned, all had screen distortion to some degree. Are you and Max saying I’m making this up?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My experience is that every Air 2 I have tried in the stores (30+) along with the 12 my company has owned, all had screen distortion to some degree. Are you and Max saying I’m making this up?

Can't speak for Max. If you say that's your experience, I'm certainly not going to dispute that. But you say "to some degree." So I'm getting that not all units had the problem to the same degree. So how many did you find where the distortion was so bad as to be unacceptable? And sorry if you mentioned this before and I missed it, but what did your company end up doing with the 12 iPads?

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland

Same here. Some distort just by picking them up, some with moderate press against the back (right centre side being the most visible one). I never had to press hard to see the screen distort. Heck, if u press hard enough, u can probably see distortions on every ipad or iphone ever made. But the truth is... iPad Air 2 is too thin!

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Can't speak for Max. If you say that's your experience, I'm certainly not going to dispute that. But you say "to some degree." So I'm getting that not all units had the problem to the same degree. So how many did you find where the distortion was so bad as to be unacceptable? And sorry if you mentioned this before and I missed it, but what did your company end up doing with the 12 iPads?

Yes, not all units were the same, some distorted easily, while others were moderate. The 12 iPads (all different serial prefixes and manufacture dates) were returned.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

You are just twisting things to provoke us... I'm not going to express any judgement on you.
I'm just saying I still have to see a single iPad with the issue you are reporting. So, no design flaws.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
You are just twisting things to provoke us... I'm not going to express any judgement on you.
I'm just saying I still have to see a single iPad with the issue you are reporting. So, no design flaws.

I don't twist or provoke.
As I said numerous times, nothing is flawless in mass production – not even an iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

As I said numerous times, nothing is flawless in mass production – not even an iPad.

I think you are arguing over semantics.

Some Air2s have a screen distortion problem, some don't. We have no idea what proportion of Air2 have this problem, as none of us can check every single iPads out there.

Max thinks it's not a design flaw unless every Air2 has this problem.

I think BoneHead is saying it's a design flaw that the Air2 tends to have this problem, even if not all Air2 have the problem.

Is that an accurate summary of your positions?

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I think BoneHead is saying it's a design flaw that the Air2 tends to have this problem, even if not all Air2 have the problem.

Close. I’m saying all the Air 2 units I have owned and checked out on display in stores all showed distortion to some degree.

Same here. Some distort just by picking them up, some with moderate press against the back (right centre side being the most visible one). I never had to press hard to see the screen distort. Heck, if u press hard enough, u can probably see distortions on every ipad or iphone ever made. But the truth is... iPad Air 2 is too thin!

Keniutek happens to agree with me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I think you are arguing over semantics.

Some Air2s have a screen distortion problem, some don't. We have no idea what proportion of Air2 have this problem, as none of us can check every single iPads out there.

Max thinks it's not a design flaw unless every Air2 has this problem.

Is that an accurate summary of your positions?
I just think he doesn't know what a design flaw is.

----------

Perhaps what feels like "not pressing very hard" to you and Keniutek is what Max defines as pressing hard? People have different amount of strength in their hands.

I'm not even speaking about "pressing hard", but just pressing purposely to show the "defect".
This reminds me of the #bendgate silly discussion, with people pulling and pushing on iPhones just to demonstrate the problem.
Yes a thin phone could bends if you apply enough force.
Yes a thin tablet could show blotches on the screen if you apply enough force on the rear.
Those are not defects by any means.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I just think he doesn't know what a design flaw is.

----------

I'm not even speaking about "pressing hard", but just pressing purposely to show the "defect".
This reminds me of the #bendgate silly discussion, with people pulling and pushing on iPhones just to demonstrate the problem.
Yes a thin phone could bends if you apply enough force.
Yes a thin tablet could show blotches on the screen if you apply enough force on the rear.
Those are not defects by any means.

Max, respectfully it really is the other way around. It is indeed you who really does not know what is involved in manufacturing and does not know what a design flaw is. Do you have 20 years experience in product manufacturing like I do? CLEARLY I know what I am talking about when I say there IS NO FLAWLESS MASS PRODUCED PRODUCT. .

At first you vehemently denied that there was any distortion at all with the Air 2. Now you concede? Which is it? You continue to contradict your self and make my point. The video I reposted speaks for itself whereby on some units, all you have to do it walk around with the weight of the unit and the screen distorts. Other units, all you have to to is hardly press at all an you get distortion. This is indeed a design flaw by means poor design choices causing screen distortion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.