AirDrop with iMac?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Sensamic, Aug 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Does AirDrop work with Macs or just with iOS devices?

Can I send a PDF, word document, pictures, videos and more from my iMac to the iPad using AirDrop instead of iTunes?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 603

3. macrumors 6502

...and only specific iOS devices....works on my iPhone 5 but not on my iPad 3.

4. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

It'll be a "revolutionary" new feature of OS 10.10

5. macrumors 6502

I believe the reason it doesn't support OS X right now is due to the Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy requirement?

6. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

OS X does have it's own AirDrop but it doesn't work quite the same as it does in iOS 7. Currently it's Mac-Mac or iOS-iOS only.

7. macrumors newbie

AFAIK it will work between iOS7 and OS X when Mavericks comes out...

8. macrumors 603

It doesn't work with Mavericks yet. Wouldn't count on it, they'd have to update it to the new way Airdrop works with Bluetooth LE.

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I kinda expect it. Such a stupid decision from Apple, as always.

Isn't one of their main features integration between all of the lineup?

10. macrumors 6502a

No. Apple said in the Keynote it is iOS to iOS only, that way you don't have to "bump" anything. In a reference to Android, and the bump app...

11. macrumors 6502

You must not have understood him. Apple always boasts an awesome ecosystem of products that work seamlessly together, but now they aren't allowing iOS and OS X to do a simple task of transferring files between each other wirelessly....I STRONGLY doubt Jobs would have let that happen.

12. macrumors 6502a

Jobs probably wouldn't have allowed the feature. If AirDrop ever cross platforms with Mac, we would need some type of documents app, that supports a good load of formats...Because right now, AirDrop between iOS makes sense, at least until something is figured out, and iOS grows in space, like 128GB...

13. macrumors 603

Not necessarily...I assume you can already share documents via AirDrop, and they will appear in pages/keynote etc. There's no reason Apple couldn't just restrict it to whatever file types iOS-iOS AirDrop currently supports.

14. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can share documents. But I wonder what happens if the other user doesn't have the app to open that file (ex. my friend AirDrops a Garageband file from his iPhone to mine but I don't have Garageband because I temporarily deleted to save space or I have purchased it yet. I wonder where it would deposit the file?).

15. macrumors 603

I imagine it wouldn't let you share it in that instance.

16. macrumors 65816

As always? How do you think a company ends up as successful as Apple is by "always" making stupid decisions?

And yes, "integration" is a selling point for Apple devices. That integration comes through iCloud, not AirDrop. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if AirDrop worked between iOS and OS X. But I fail to see how AirDrop, a minor feature, is in any way indicative of Apple's overall decision making process.