Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Does AirDrop work with Macs or just with iOS devices?

Can I send a PDF, word document, pictures, videos and more from my iMac to the iPad using AirDrop instead of iTunes?

Thanks.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I believe the reason it doesn't support OS X right now is due to the Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy requirement?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
OS X does have it's own AirDrop but it doesn't work quite the same as it does in iOS 7. Currently it's Mac-Mac or iOS-iOS only.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Well, I kinda expect it. Such a stupid decision from Apple, as always.

Isn't one of their main features integration between all of the lineup?

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL

No. Apple said in the Keynote it is iOS to iOS only, that way you don't have to "bump" anything. In a reference to Android, and the bump app...

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
No. Apple said in the Keynote it is iOS to iOS only, that way you don't have to "bump" anything. In a reference to Android, and the bump app...

You must not have understood him. Apple always boasts an awesome ecosystem of products that work seamlessly together, but now they aren't allowing iOS and OS X to do a simple task of transferring files between each other wirelessly....I STRONGLY doubt Jobs would have let that happen.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
You must not have understood him. Apple always boasts an awesome ecosystem of products that work seamlessly together, but now they aren't allowing iOS and OS X to do a simple task of transferring files between each other wirelessly....I STRONGLY doubt Jobs would have let that happen.
Jobs probably wouldn't have allowed the feature. If AirDrop ever cross platforms with Mac, we would need some type of documents app, that supports a good load of formats...Because right now, AirDrop between iOS makes sense, at least until something is figured out, and iOS grows in space, like 128GB...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Jobs probably wouldn't have allowed the feature. If AirDrop ever cross platforms with Mac, we would need some type of documents app,

Not necessarily...I assume you can already share documents via AirDrop, and they will appear in pages/keynote etc. There's no reason Apple couldn't just restrict it to whatever file types iOS-iOS AirDrop currently supports.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Not necessarily...I assume you can already share documents via AirDrop, and they will appear in pages/keynote etc. There's no reason Apple couldn't just restrict it to whatever file types iOS-iOS AirDrop currently supports.

You can share documents. But I wonder what happens if the other user doesn't have the app to open that file (ex. my friend AirDrops a Garageband file from his iPhone to mine but I don't have Garageband because I temporarily deleted to save space or I have purchased it yet. I wonder where it would deposit the file?).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can share documents. But I wonder what happens if the other user doesn't have the app to open that file (ex. my friend AirDrops a Garageband file from his iPhone to mine but I don't have Garageband because I temporarily deleted to save space or I have purchased it yet. I wonder where it would deposit the file?).

I imagine it wouldn't let you share it in that instance.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

As always? How do you think a company ends up as successful as Apple is by "always" making stupid decisions?

And yes, "integration" is a selling point for Apple devices. That integration comes through iCloud, not AirDrop. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if AirDrop worked between iOS and OS X. But I fail to see how AirDrop, a minor feature, is in any way indicative of Apple's overall decision making process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.