Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galahan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I have hdmi-cec enabled on my atv4. Generally it's great because I only have to use one remote to control everything. The one downside is that if I want to only stream audio, it doesn't seem possible without the tv being turned on. If I turn the tv off, everything switches off.

Is there any way to play audio without having the tv on and still having all devices connected through hdmi-cec?
I tried searching but didn't find anything.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
You might check your TV to see if the screen can be turned off. My Samsung SmartTV has that capability, but it requires the native remote. It let's me use the ATV4 for audio-only, works great :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
but no tv then no speakers for sound to come off .... jokinggggg
of course you probably have a home theater connected so I would say no. If its something you use a lot then put the atv4 in a non-cec hdmi port.

You might check your TV to see if the screen can be turned off. My Samsung SmartTV has that capability, but it requires the native remote. It let's me use the ATV4 for audio-only, works great :)
you mean like a screensaver off screen or w a home theater?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
you mean like a screensaver off screen or w a home theater?
Like a screensaver on TV (screen turns black, backlight goes out). But the motherboard keeps working, so audio still passes through without issues.
Because my home theater has no HDMI inputs at all, I have to use my TV as a HDMI switchboard. And when I'm not wathcing it, just listening, I turn the screen off from TV's power saver options.

Reactions: Carlanga

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
As far as I know you can't. The only work around would be using a screen off function every time if your tv has it, or going with remote like a Logitech harmony. CEC has more disadvantages the advantages. I can't use it because on of my devices even when not being used keeps changing the hdmi source on my Tv.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
An alternative for AirPlay music playback would be to get an Apple Airport Express which has a 3.5mm line out you can connect to an auxiliary input on your home theater system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.