Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclife80

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Dear all,

one question. I have an iPhone 13 pro and the new Apple TV 4K. If I stream from my iPhone 13 a recorded clip with 4k Dolby Vision to my Apple TV 4K it doesn't play in Dolby Vision. Meaning it is probably SDR no HDR.
I cannot find any information if this should work somehow? What are your experiences ? Kinda dumb if it is not working

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Dear all,

one question. I have an iPhone 13 pro and the new Apple TV 4K. If I stream from my iPhone 13 a recorded clip with 4k Dolby Vision to my Apple TV 4K it doesn't play in Dolby Vision. Meaning it is probably SDR no HDR.
I cannot find any information if this should work somehow? What are your experiences ? Kinda dumb if it is not working
Hmm, AirPlay 2 does support 4K HDR. Hate to ask, but: Does your TV support DV? Can you watch other HDR content via your Apple TV?

Maclife80

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2019
yes of course LG C1 it even displays a notification if HDR or Dolby Vision is active which is not the case with airplay

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
yes of course LG C1 it even displays a notification if HDR or Dolby Vision is active which is not the case with airplay
8BCBEB57-AC6B-4806-98E4-79E2EC06017E.jpeg

Okay. I have an LG as well. Just tested a video and mine displays in HDR. I took a pic of what the settings show so you can compare it to yours. (Sorry about the rotated pic, uploaded does it.)

Maclife80

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2019
ok is ur appletv set to 4k sdr or 4k hdr in video settings? mine is set to 4k sdr. but for instance if I start a bought movie that has Dolby Vision he switches to Dolby Vision but not with airplay

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
ok is ur appletv set to 4k sdr or 4k hdr in video settings? mine is set to 4k sdr. but for instance if I start a bought movie that has Dolby Vision he switches to Dolby Vision but not with airplay
Mine is set to 4K HDR. I also have Range and Frame Rate set to Match Content, which also could be a factor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.