Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPlay Mirroring and iMessage are reportedly coming to OS X Lion, according to 9to5Mac's sources.

Airplay Mirroring demoed on an iPad 2​
AirPlay Mirroring is a feature that first made its appearance on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. It allows you to wirelessly stream whatever's on your iPad or iPhone display to your HDTV via Apple TV. The Mac implementation is reportedly going to be similar, allowing broadcast of your desktop to your TV.
AirPlay Mirroring for the Mac will allow a user to wirelessly mirror exactly what is shown on their Mac's display to an Apple TV connected to a projector, television, or external monitor. AirPlay video streaming is also being integrated into QuickTime X.

Meanwhile, iMessage is again being said to be coming to the OS X Lion. We had previously reported on iChat strings that have suggested work was already underway. Though it seems the decision to make iMessage a separate app or a part of iChat has reportedly not been finalized.

iMessage is Apple's new messaging solution for the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone found in iOS 5. It allows customers to send SMS-like messages over standard data connections rather than expensive text messaging plans. OS X Lion integration with iMessage would allow you to send iMessages to friends and family with iOS 5 devices from your Mac.

Article Link: AirPlay Mirroring and iMessage Coming to Mac OS X Lion

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Wish I could airplay my iPhone to a Mac's display. Would work great since my macmini is my htpc connected to my TV.

Looking forward to imessage on the desktop.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I think the reason they made FaceTime a separate app was so you could receive calls in the background, without the app open. Presumably, iMessage would need this capability as well.

They should integrate iMessage with the FaceTime App instead. Sometimes I've wanted to send the person I'm FaceTiming a link.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
This would be great for iChat video conferences since FaceTime images don't seem to fill an HDTV screen very well.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This sounds good and all but to me it seems it would only be useful with a laptop.

If I have my Mac in my office and mirror it to my HDTV in the living room how do interact with it ?

Unless they update the remote app to control the computer also. There's a thought.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
This would be incredible, as it would eliminate the need for a standalone HTPC if one wants to run Plex or XBMC.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
This sounds good and all but to me it seems it would only be useful with a laptop.

If I have my Mac in my office and mirror it to my HDTV in the living room how do interact with it ?

Use an iPhone or iPad as a remote over WiFi.

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Come on Apple, you MUST make this all one application. It's stupid to have Facetime, iMessage and iChat all be separate.

jonohayes

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
New Zealand
iMessage + FaceTime + iChat = Messenger.app

I really hope Apple make 1 application for iMessage, FaceTime, and iChat.

I'm sick of having 2 and soon to be 3 applications that do that same thing on the mac.

they could even open it up so yahoo, MSN maybe even Skype could tap into it! (dreaming i know)....

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
There is no reason to worry about iMessage being separate from iChat.

iChat will probably be renamed iMessage, actually. And, it will probably use the same auto-detection that the iPhone does when determining if an e-mail or phone contact is iMessage capable.

Three separate apps would suck - it wouldn't happen.

ChandraNM

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
iMessage & Mail

it might be integrated with Mail...

I've been getting this message ever since upgrading to Lion...

Attachments

• MailWindow.png
    MailWindow.png
    39 KB · Views: 271

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Airplay Mirroring from the Mac

This is great news for people using their computers to watch TV shows via the network websites, especially those only available with Flash. Now you can start a show in a browser window on your mac in one room, and Airplay it to any ATV2 in the house.

I had originally planned to get a mac mini to hook up to my TV, but the way they are rolling out the Apple TV connectivity, that is no longer necessary. Instead of another $600 + (for a mac mini), I can just use my current Macbook Pro and Airplay to however many Apple TV's I want!

(I hope Airplay mirroring on the mac comes with audio. It does on the iPad 2, so I'd expect it to.)

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

@ImperialX: Will dates work? After all, we know how long airplay mirroring and Siri have been around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.