Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although the AirPods have been well-received by a majority of users after the holidays, the largest issue persisting online centers around troublesome battery drain issues with the headphones' bundled-in Charging Case. MacRumors reported last week about an initial hubbub of concern coming from AirPods wearers and the Charging Case not living up to Apple's 24 hours of standby life. This week more stories have come out about potential fixes for the issue, as well as reports of some users deciding to return or exchange their AirPods because of the Charging Case problem.

airpods-2-800x436.jpg

Towards the end of last week, one Redditor posted a fix for the AirPods Charging Case battery drain issue, and a few MacRumors forum members corroborated that resetting the AirPods completely and syncing them back up to each iOS device helped return their Charging Case to normal battery life. Unfortunately, the fix isn't universal, and a large portion of affected users still see large percentage drops in the Charging Case on an hourly and daily basis, even after resetting.

The fact that a software reset works for some users has lead to hope that Apple may address the battery drainage issue in the form of a firmware update for the AirPods sometime in the future, but the company hasn't commented on the problem or mentioned whether or not AirPods will be updated through iOS at all. Apple has quietly updated some of its iOS-connected accessories in the past, including the Apple Pencil through iOS 10.1, which users noted as bringing more fluid and responsive drawing tools to the Pencil.

Mitchels-AirPods-1-800x465.jpg

Without the confirmation of a possible software fix, however, there remains the option of exchanging the AirPods at an Apple retail store for another pair, which of course depends on the device's very low stock being available at your local store. In a post on the MacRumors forums, Lihp8270 described their experience with contacting Apple Support about the issue, and having to either return the AirPods and wait six weeks for a replacement, or keep in constant contact with a local Apple retail store and be in line first thing for an exchange.
I did call them. Their solution was to mail it to them, and wait 6 weeks for a replacement. Or I could phone the store myself every day and check to see if they had any new stock in to exchange it, as they couldn't take my details and let me know when an exchange set was available.

My first support chat with the 1st set went to a Senior Advisor, they booked me a Genius Bar appointment. Even though I was talking with the US people from the UK. Exceptionally helpful. But I was passing an Apple store, and since only a few days old. I popped in to see if they had any replacements in stock that I could just switch out rather than waiting another week. They did not, but forwarded me to AppleCare. AppleCare wanted me to mail them their device, and wait 6 weeks with no device, and no money. So I said I'd rather keep hold of them (as they work beyond needing daily charging) until an exchange set was available, or just refund for cash and I'll order more.

So I went back to the store. Asked if they are able to take my details and set any aside and I will exchange my faulty set when they come in. They said no, I'd have to call the store everyday, and ask about stock. Then when they had some, to get in ASAP and swap them before a customer purchased them. No solution they offered was convenient. So I had them refunded.
The same user goes on to describe purchasing a second pair of AirPods, which also began exhibiting the battery drain issues with the Charging Case. Similar stories are growing more common online, as users begin to chart out exactly how much battery the Charging Case is losing in an attempt to see if they can discover a solution. On the bright side, in nearly every case the AirPods themselves have a solid and reliable battery life.

Article Link: AirPods Reset Fixes Charging Case Battery Issues for Some, but Issues Persist for Others

Reactions: profets

garrick2007

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Bay Area, CA
Got mine last week and it seems to have this issue. I charged the case with the AirPods inside everything 100%. They. I used them for an hr or more then next day came back to them the day after and the case was fully drained with the pods at 100%.

Reactions: pentrix2

Denoloco

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
I would rather have this issue than what happend to my pair of AirPods. Right AirPod stoped working seconds after the unboxing. Replacement on way so let's hope I'll get more lucky this time

Reactions: pentrix2

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I have a minor version of this issue. I lose about 30% a day. I called Apple and they will replace them, but it could take a while. I'll keep them until the stock is available because even with the drain they are amazing devices. In the mean time I will try this fix.
I wonder if this could be the result of legacy BT connections? I did also pair them to a non Apple device. If the pods are listening when they are not in use, the case may be constantly changing them to 100%.

Reactions: edubya

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Mine are flawless except for the fact that they fall out of my ears every 30 minutes, even when I'm sitting still at my desk.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Not sure if I have the issue, but my "problem" is that I might only use the set of AirPods for 1/2 - 1 hour a time, where they only loose 5-10%, so when I place them in the case they charge back to 100% and the case looses charge rapidly. So I'm not utilizing the 5 hours battery time of the AirPods nor I think the 24 hour total from the case. Does this make sense?

Reactions: dojjah

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Mine loses aboit 10% every few hours even though the pods are at 100%. I see the charge icon even though at 100%. I guess that might be issue

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not sure if I have the issue, but my "problem" is that I might only use the set of AirPods for 1/2 - 1 hour a time, where they only loose 5-10%, so when I place them in the case they charge back to 100% and the case looses charge rapidly. So I'm not utilizing the 5 hours battery time of the AirPods nor I think the 24 hour total from the case. Does this make sense?

That's part of the issue as well. With the case draining rapidly (via the AirPods somewhat staying active while in the case), it doen't seem possible to get 24 hours worth of use from the AirPods (including top ups from the case).

Reactions: poppy10

dojjah

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
TL;DR: Battery life meets expectations after doubts on the first day and resetting them.

I got mine on the 29th, after Reddit started talking about the battery issues. I charged the case & pods overnight on the 30th after thinking my case drained oddly fast the first day, reset and repaired, then traveled beginning early on the morning of the 31st. I've not been doing any sort of scientific testing, but certainly using them way more than normal in an effort to drain the case & charge from 0-100% in one session. It took until noon today, the 2nd to drain the case to 0%. So that's all day Saturday with I'll guess 8-10 hours of use, Sunday all day with another about 8 hours of use, and about 4 hours of use Monday morning. So 20-22 hours with a portion (2-ish hours) of that being paired though standard Bluetooth on a Windows laptop (don't get the power saving benefits of W1 when not a "compatible" device). They're meeting my expectations now, and I'm cautiously optimistic a full charge cycle could get another small performance boost, helping to calibrate the battery a bit better.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine are flawless except for the fact that they fall out of my ears every 30 minutes, even when I'm sitting still at my desk.

I'm not sure how facetious your being, but the Airpods wouldn't be flawless for you if they can't stay secure in your ears. If their falling out of ears when you're completely still, then what purpose do the Airpods serve for you? In your case, not one size fits all.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm not sure how facetious your being, but the Airpods wouldn't be flawless for you if they can't stay secure in your ears. If their falling out of ears when you're completely still, then what purpose do the Airpods serve for you? In your case, not one size fits all.
Flawless relating to this battery issue, as well as range, connection quality, sound quality, and ease of use. I'm waiting for specialized silicone tips to arrive in stock. My ear isn't that weird, is it?

Attachments

• IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 202

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Flawless relating to this battery issue. I'm waiting for specialized silicone tips to come in stock. My ear isn't that weird, is it?

How do you plan on inserting the Airpods in the charging case with the silicone tips intact? They likely wouldn't seat properly and you would have to remove the tips every time to charge them. Seems cumbersome.

Reactions: orbital~debris

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
There's a lot of good information and discussion if you follow along this thread (it's gotten quite long now):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-case-bad-standby-battery-life.2022799/

The title of this article is a bit misleading. Multiple days of testing and more data is needed to see if resetting the AirPods really solves the battery life standby issue.

Essentially, battery life while using the AirPods is pretty good. But the standby life is bad. It's not the charging case, as we've deducted (which itself is dumb and only has it's battery life status communicated to the iPhone when an AirPod is inside of it), but rather the AirPods that are staying active in some form, enough so that they discharge while in the case, and then continuously use the case to stay charged.

In many occurrences the case and pods can be completely discharged / battery dead after 2-3 days from a full charge. I'd love to see more people actually test this out.

The true issue with this, is that unlike other Bluetooth devices/headphones, the AirPods don't fully power off, and you can't just charge them and then keep them in a pocket or in a bag and expect to use them after 2-3 days.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Flawless relating to this battery issue, as well as range, connection quality, sound quality, and ease of use. I'm waiting for specialized silicone tips to arrive in stock. My ear isn't that weird, is it?

How do you plan on inserting the Airpods in the charging case with the silicone tips intact? They likely wouldn't seat properly and you would have to remove the tips every time to charge them. Seems cumbersome.

Friend of mine had an issue where the left pod would feel loose and fall out every few minutes during a workout. He got the iSkinz (i think they're called) silicone tips, and said they worked perfect. Zero movement when using them. He keeps them aside though and just needs them for workouts.

It's tough though otherwise - AirPods are an awesome product, but if they don't fit your ears then there's little other choice.
[doublepost=1483384781][/doublepost]
Mine are rocking without issue. Love them.

How frequently do you charge the case? And any idea about what kind of battery life you get from the AirPods in between case charges?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Friend of mine had an issue where the left pod would feel loose and fall out every few minutes during a workout. He got the iSkinz (i think they're called) silicone tips, and said they worked perfect. Zero movement when using them. He keeps them aside though and just needs them for workouts.

It's tough though otherwise - AirPods are an awesome product, but if they don't fit your ears then there's little other choice.

I'm sure silicone tips would work fine, but would be futile for charging, being they would have to be removed every time to be inserted in the charging case. It just seems like a lot of hassle for something you would have to do every time to charge the Airpods.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am sorry for those having problems, but I simply love mine. I haven't charged the case in 3 days (will need to charge today though) and have used the AirPods heavily. Their battery life has been stellar for me.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm sure silicone tips would work fine, but would be futile for charging, being they would have to be removed every time to be inserted in the charging case. It just seems like a lot of hassle for something you would have to do every time to charge the Airpods.

Yeah that's the issue. Luckily he only needs them for workouts so leaves the silicone tips on his treadmill and just slips them over for running. But you're right, for more frequent use it would be a pain.

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Would be nice maybe if you had to press the pair button in order to initiate charging from the case when inserting them. Then it would be easier to run down the battery in the AirPods. But the AirPods wouldn't be active when they are in the case.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I am sorry for those having problems, but I simply love mine. I haven't charged the case in 3 days (will need to charge today though) and have used the AirPods heavily. Their battery life has been stellar for me.

AirPods battery life when in use has been quite good. The problem seems to be standby battery life. Have you noticed standby at all in your case?

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
These are amongst the first few posts of this thread.

Let's assume someone is a real person, who uses Apple products and goes to the Comedy Store for humor and comes here for real information that is also helpful. With is in mind, let's look at these few posts.

It's only a matter of time until we discover the issue that led to Tim Cook delaying the release of these wireless earphones.

So what? Who cares? What will you do with this information? And it really isn't helping me in any way, shape, or form.

Just remove the battery percentage indicator. See? Problem solved!

Now here's a suggestion that really irritates me when I come here for help and useful information.

I would rather have this issue than what happend to my pair of AirPods. Right AirPod stoped working seconds after the unboxing. Replacement on way so let's hope I'll get more lucky this time

Another anecdote that is off topic and completely useless.

Terrific. How unfortunate for you. Not helpful at all. But I would suggest some cosmetic ear surgery for you that will take care of the problems. Vulcan ears don't have this issue. Just ask Spock.

So, coming here for useful information is clearly a waste of time. And the vast majority of the those "humorous" posts just aren't funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.