Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssrij

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I charged my AirPods case to 100%, after a few hours, the battery has gone to 90%. Can anyone else confirm whats the standby battery life of their AirPods case?

I think one of three are happening:

1) AirPods themselves have poor standby battery life - hence sucking battery out of the case more often
2) The case has a poor standby battery life
3) I have a defective unit

Last edited:

ssrij

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Some other members here said the same thing, however I am not experiencing this. I wonder what may be causing it.

So I left for uni at 7:40am and the case (incl AirPods) were charged to 100%. It's 12:18pm now, and I just checked the battery. AirPods case is at 100% and AirPods is also at 100% but shows a charging indicator, this kind of makes me think its the AirPods that have poor standby time.

Now, it didn't lose battery like it did last time (went 100-90 in the same amount of time), so it may just be a fluke, but I'll keep checking every now and then to see what's actually happening

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
So I left for uni at 7:40am and the case (incl AirPods) were charged to 100%. It's 12:18pm now, and I just checked the battery. AirPods case is at 100% and AirPods is also at 100% but shows a charging indicator, this kind of makes me think its the AirPods that have poor standby time.

Now, it didn't lose battery like it did last time (went 100-90 in the same amount of time), so it may just be a fluke, but I'll keep checking every now and then to see what's actually happening

But still at 100%. That's not poor standby time.

Might just be first charge? Or first use? Only some time will tell I guess.

ssrij

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
1 and a half hours now. Just checked the battery life and the case is at 100% but the AirPods is at 95% and charging.

This is really weird now, AirPods went from 100% to 95% in an hour and a half while in case and charging while the case is at 100% battery. Not sure what's going on here.........

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
1 and a half hours now. Just checked the battery life and the case is at 100% but the AirPods is at 95% and charging.

This is really weird now, AirPods went from 100% to 95% in an hour and a half while in case and charging while the case is at 100% battery. Not sure what's going on here.........
iPhones have this behavior as well. Even while plugged in they are not constantly charging. They charge slowly to max capacity, then discharge the battery for a bit, then recharge to max again. It protects the battery by preventing overcharging.

Reactions: TurboPGT!

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
iPhones have this behavior as well. Even while plugged in they are not constantly charging. They charge slowly to max capacity, then discharge the battery for a bit, then recharge to max again. It protects the battery by preventing overcharging.

In addition, charging indicators are seldom reliable and are especially sensitive to temperature changes. If you took them out in the cold or left them in your pocket for a while you should expect the readings to fluctuate on both the AirPods and the case itself.

Tom88

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
Mine has an issue too. In the morning my case had 80%. Now they have about 20%. And I haven't used my airpods.

I also have this issue, they lose about 30%ish or more per day when I haven't even used them. (Tested by charging to 100% overnight, don't touch them during the day, then check the charge level in the evening)

I plan to return them. I wanted to keep them in my pocket for the rare times I need headphones (like I used to with my old wired ones) without having to worry about plugging them in every few days to charge.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I"m seeing this as well. Buds seem to hold charge fine but the battery case just seems to constantly drain. I'm wondering if maybe the software is just set to constantly trickle charge, so if the buds are in at 100% they will still keep draining the case? My guess is a software update can correct it. Mine isn't nearly as bad as some people in this thread though.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I just saw this with mine today. I usually drain my batteries for the first time and then recharge FULLY but this time i didnt with the airpods. They got shipped with 74% on airpods and 52% on case. I charged them to 100 and started using them. Today was the first time I charged them since Monday and case had 41% battery and airpods were at 97% because I used them 15 minutes ago while walking to work.

Put them on charge and left them for 2 hours, saw they were 100% and took them off. My SO just came by to use my pair and when I opened the case, my phone showed case had 95%, airpods had 100% with charging icon. This is definitely strange but I think I'm going to let them drain completely and charge them up again on Saturday and see if it happens again. If so, I am going to go to my local apple store to see if they have any and if they dont (which is likely) I will have the genius bar leave a note on my account and if a software update in the next 2 weeks doesnt fix it, then I will just wait until they have more stock and I can run in and swap them out.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I haven't noticed any major battery drain yet. Only had my AirPods for 5 or so hours. I will fully charge the case and see how they last tomorrow. On arrival my case had a little over 60 percent and have dropped to 56 percent. While I steady open, close , put in , pull out , and play with my new toys. That about normal battery drain for a Bluetooth headset.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I just saw this with mine today. I usually drain my batteries for the first time and then recharge FULLY but this time i didnt with the airpods. They got shipped with 74% on airpods and 52% on case. I charged them to 100 and started using them. Today was the first time I charged them since Monday and case had 41% battery and airpods were at 97% because I used them 15 minutes ago while walking to work.

Put them on charge and left them for 2 hours, saw they were 100% and took them off. My SO just came by to use my pair and when I opened the case, my phone showed case had 95%, airpods had 100% with charging icon. This is definitely strange but I think I'm going to let them drain completely and charge them up again on Saturday and see if it happens again. If so, I am going to go to my local apple store to see if they have any and if they dont (which is likely) I will have the genius bar leave a note on my account and if a software update in the next 2 weeks doesnt fix it, then I will just wait until they have more stock and I can run in and swap them out.

That battery drain seems normal. A few percent is ok. If it was like 10 to 20 percent then there'd be an issue I think.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Charged the airpods and the case to 100%. Some 12 hours later the airpods are at 100% and the case at 97%. Standby drain is therefore negligible. I'm happy :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Charged the airpods and the case to 100%. Some 12 hours later the airpods are at 100% and the case at 97%. Standby drain is therefore negligible. I'm happy :)

Interesting. I wonder why the differences everybody is experiencing.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I wonder if the case is doing anything else in the background, like say 'looking' for your iPhone & hence using up the battery. Not sure why it'd need to do this, but I'm thinking of the old mobile handsets which would use up a lot of their battery when searching for reception whilst in between coverage zones.

I know, not related, but...???

So far mine's been ok, though I've seen some unexplained drain also. Very little though.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
I read about this so wanted to try it out, at ~17:00 i charged my case and Airpods to 100%, now 10:33 so 17 hours later case is at 95%.

I will keep monitoring this. I can accept a 5-10% drop per day. But not 20%+.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Interesting. I wonder why the differences everybody is experiencing.

Yeah me as well.

Now 15 hours standby and the case is at 94%. Still fine with me. It would mean approx 10% per day.

Next test is to disable Bluetooth and therefore the case is disconnected as well. Interesting to see if standby drain is the same then.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah me as well.

Now 15 hours standby and the case is at 94%. Still fine with me. It would mean approx 10% per day.

Next test is to disable Bluetooth and therefore the case is disconnected as well. Interesting to see if standby drain is the same then.

That's impressive with your battery life. Seems a lot of forum members are reporting the battery drain issues. Hopefully it's not a major issue.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
That's impressive with your battery life. Seems a lot of forum members are reporting the battery drain issues. Hopefully it's not a major issue.

Well...after just about 24 hours the case battery level is now at 66% ! To reiterate that's without any use nor taking the pods out of the case. Purely standby...both the pods and case.

That just won't do. I need the pods to be ready to go and having enough juice in the case for multiple charges for extended use. Not a case battery which depletes within 3 days :(

I will test further by recharging the case and then switching off Bluetooth on the iPhone to see if this will have any influence.

Tbc...

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
Well...after just about 24 hours the case battery level is now at 66% ! To reiterate that's without any use nor taking the pods out of the case. Purely standby...both the pods and case.

That just won't do. I need the pods to be ready to go and having enough juice in the case for multiple charges for extended use. Not a case battery which depletes within 3 days :(

I will test further by recharging the case and then switching off Bluetooth on the iPhone to see if this will have any influence.

Tbc...
Your unit is defective. I was fully charged. Last night and have been using the AirPods since 7:00am today non stop. I currently have 65 percent left on my case. I'm in logistics. So I've used many brands and types of Bluetooth. Over the last 10 or more years.
These AirPods are the first that will last all day. You must have a bad set. Sorry.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I went to bed with the case at 95% battery, with the AirPods fully charged. Woke up this morning and neither had changed. That was about 9 hours.

Reactions: PirateP

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Your unit is defective. I was fully charged. Last night and have been using the AirPods since 7:00am today non stop. I currently have 65 percent left on my case. I'm in logistics. So I've used many brands and types of Bluetooth. Over the last 10 or more years.
These AirPods are the first that will last all day. You must have a bad set. Sorry.

Normal usage of the pods there's no problem at all...great Battery life no worries. It's battery life of the case in standby mode that seems crap. But like I said...will have to test further. Tbc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.