Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
My computer is somewhat distant from our wireless router in my home, so I figured I'd use my AE Base Station to connect to the network as a client and redistribute a better signal, but it isn't working.

I've connected to my existing wireless network via AirPort Admin Utility and connected to my network as normal, but the signal is no better. Not even right next to the AE. Also, when I load web pages, the green light does not flicker for activity like it should. I can play iTunes music via the speakers I've connected to the Base Station, but as far as extending my wireless network, it just isn't working. Even when I put it in a spot where my Mac get's full signal, it still appears to be doing nothing.

Help, please. :)

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
OK, I figured out (or so I think) that I need to use WDS to accomplish this, but I think it may be a problem that the main router (connected to the modem) is not an AirPort Extreme or Express Base Station, just a normal (non-Apple) router. Is this a problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.