Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evildude683

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Republic of Texas
Hi guys, I basically have an airport express (A1264) setup to extend my wireless network in order to use it for airplay. A few weeks ago my ISP changed my router and I lost an ethernet port that was being used by my HT receiver's internet radio feature, I then decided to connect the receiver to my airport express's ethernet port but the signal seems to be intermittent. I get a perfect connection while streaming music via iTunes, so I can't explain myself why is this only happening while using the ethernet port. Any ideas?
I really like the "old" airport express interface, the new one seems to lack a lot of the essential troubleshooting features.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi guys, I basically have an airport express (A1264) setup to extend my wireless network in order to use it for airplay. A few weeks ago my ISP changed my router and I lost an ethernet port that was being used by my HT receiver's internet radio feature, I then decided to connect the receiver to my airport express's ethernet port but the signal seems to be intermittent. I get a perfect connection while streaming music via iTunes, so I can't explain myself why is this only happening while using the ethernet port. Any ideas?
I really like the "old" airport express interface, the new one seems to lack a lot of the essential troubleshooting features.

I find factory restting the device sometimes helps. The initial wizard seems to sort the best network config. It might fix the problem.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

As the other poster said, reset the device and power cycle everything that gets an IP address from the router. Then you can troubleshoot your receiver problem properly.

Evildude683

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Republic of Texas
As the other poster said, reset the device and power cycle everything that gets an IP address from the router. Then you can troubleshoot your receiver problem properly.
I tried and nothing, no option to setup the ethernet port like in previous airport utility versions. Anyone knows where that option can be found in the new version?

I'm also trying to configure an older Airport express base station but ML doesn't seem to recognize it.
WTF :$
I can't install Airpot utility 5.6, it says OSX ML is not supported.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
It could be faulty?

You could try retro grading to the older firmware if that is possible. In the airport app on osx click the express to bring up the standard little window that you usually click on edit to enter into settings, BUT before you do that you should see a version of the firmware in the little window (I'm on a bus so I am going by memory here so my instructions may be slightly out). I think it either says 'version' or something similar. If you hold down the 'option' button while you hover your mouse pointer over the 'version' it should turn into an active drop down window that shows you the older firmware versions. Click the older version and the express will reboot into that.

In other words you are going back to the older version of firmware.

That might help, and/or you could also retry the update if you want as we'll as that may have been the problem if the most recent update did not go right.

Evildude683

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Republic of Texas
It could be faulty?

You could try retro grading to the older firmware if that is possible. In the airport app on osx click the express to bring up the standard little window that you usually click on edit to enter into settings, BUT before you do that you should see a version of the firmware in the little window (I'm on a bus so I am going by memory here so my instructions may be slightly out). I think it either says 'version' or something similar. If you hold down the 'option' button while you hover your mouse pointer over the 'version' it should turn into an active drop down window that shows you the older firmware versions. Click the older version and the express will reboot into that.

In other words you are going back to the older version of firmware.

That might help, and/or you could also retry the update if you want as we'll as that may have been the problem if the most recent update did not go right.

I just saw your reply, I gotta check my email communications with the forums :D

I did what you 're suggesting, and It's been working perfectly, I wonder why would Apple take away that feature. If it were a glitch they would have already patch it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.