Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack White

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
England
Wondering if anyone can help... i asked for my birthday (which is today) an airport express and an airport extreme card for my iBook. My iBook is only just under a year old and i (stupidly) thought that i would be Extreme ok.
it isn't.
so...does anyone use the Express with an old AP card? I heard it's not too reliable even though Apple says it will work ok.
Should i just return them both ?

pkr

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
I use an AP/Extreme with my PowerBook but have the non-Extreme card in two other computers, an older Dual G4 and an iMac (CRT), and have not noticed any differences whatsoever; both types have been problem-free.

Jack White

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
England
pkr said:
I use an AP/Extreme with my PowerBook but have the non-Extreme card in two other computers, an older Dual G4 and an iMac (CRT), and have not noticed any differences whatsoever; both types have been problem-free.

well thats promising! guess i'll have to hunt down an old card then

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
The original AirPort cards will work perfectly well with AirPort Express.

I hear that they're going for a ton of cash now that they're discontinued though. That sucks.

Jack White

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
England
i had one place offer me £90 for one and one offer me £120. luckily mac warehouse had one left for £38.99!

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
AP Cards work fine with APE (If you can get one)

I can also confirm they work 100% fine - range is OK too.

Try Ebay - sold my old AP card on there for £50 many were available

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.