Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I'm trying to setup an Airport Express.

I can _almost_ get it to work, but not quite. I can get it to work wired to my network, but I need it wireless.

I am trying to stream itunes via airplay to some powered speakers.

I have a linksys wireless router, an older version that does not have 'n'.

The apple setup manual makes it as simple as plug and play and the speakers will show up as speakers in itunes.

If I try to do it without a network wire pluged into the AE, it never gets recognized. Once I plug it in, it shows up in my wi-fi/network setting and I can set it up and get it to work.

Not sure what I'm missing. Is it an issue with my linksys wireless router?

What else could I try?

tombee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
the network can see the AE for a short time.

After hard-resetting the AE, plugging it into power with no wired network connection, it shows up in the Mac AirPort Utility.
I set it up as "add to an existing network". enter the proper passwords,and then it errors out...

All works fine if wired. but that's not why I bought the AE.
I've reset the router as well...

grrrrr...1st time I've had issues like this with an apple product. Had em all the time with Windows...thought those days were gone...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
no WDS needed, unless you are trying to extend the network, and you're not.

set the express up to "join a network"

if you're still having issues, unplug your router from power, and plug it back in.

tombee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
whew - I think I got it.

Followed these instructions:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US

unfortunately I might be getting a new wireless router this afternoon when I update my internet service, but at least now, I know it can and somewhat how to make it work.

Now to apologize to my family for being a miserable grump the past 12 hours as I worked thru this...

shmeffrey

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Toronto Canada
I'm getting the same problems over and over. I get 99% through the setup for my airport express then it says an unexpected error occurred and I have to reset the Airport Express or else it cannot be found. I have it in the same room as my router so I can't believe that it is dropping the signal. I've had the same problem before connecting to another network for just an airplay device and it just magically worked one time... I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.