Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I'm thinking about buying either an airport express or an extreme basestation, but I can't seem to tell what the difference between them is besides money. is there wider range or spiffer features on the extreme?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Ok, here is a breakdown of the feature of each.

Express:
audio line out for airtunes
wireless print server
ONLY 10 computers can connect to it at a time

Extreme:
better range (I think)
wireless print server
optional 56k modem for wireless dialup
full routing capabilities (254 connections)
optional power-over-ethernet, meaning it only need an ethernet wire, no power cord to it to run

I also think the Extreme has more routing and firewall options but someone else would have to confirm that.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well yippy is spot on for most of it but I think there are some very slight errors.

The Extreme can handle fifty wireless users whilst the Express can only handle ten.

Importantly the Extreme has a second ethernet port to hardwire other components (computers) to it whereas the Express has only a single ethernet port.

Technically, the two have the same broadcasting powers meaning effectively the same range although some people argue that since the Extreme can be placed anywhere and the Express must be attached directly to a power outlet, the Extreme may be set up to have a slightly bigger range. I don't really agree with this theory though.

The two have the same network features AFAIK too. :)

In short, the Express is much better value though.

will23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
quick follow up does extreme have airtunes capability too or not
Thanks for the info

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
3 major differences:

Airtunes: Airport Express Only

Wired Connection: Airport Extreme Only

Users: Airport Express (10), Airport Extreme (50)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I setup a Airport Express at my parents house and it works wonderfully. Now I did set it up to play music mainly, but the Airport Setup program in the applications folder made it a total snap to setup. Very easy as you would expect from an Apple product.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
mad jew said:
Technically, the two have the same broadcasting powers meaning effectively the same range although some people argue that since the Extreme can be placed anywhere and the Express must be attached directly to a power outlet, the Extreme may be set up to have a slightly bigger range. I don't really agree with this theory though.
Actually for the AirPort Express apple uses the same modular connectors as they do on the laptop power bricks, so you can get a power cord on the Express if you want it.

Also, a third party makes a stand for it so you can change thee angle it sits at.

However, the AirPort Extreme base can have an external antenna plugged in to increase the signal.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I've had my Airport Express base station set up in the center of my house, and now I have my Airport Extreme base station set up in the same spot. The Extreme has a way stronger signal than the Express.

Power over ethernet (PoE) requires an extra part that Apple doesn't sell. Also when using PoE the USB port is disabled. I guess this makes sense because if you're hanging your Airport Extreme Base Station on a wall you probably won't hang a printer near it. The AEBS with PoE appears to be only available to the education market. It lacks a 56k modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.