Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
I was just wondering if anyone had tried the Airport Extreme Admin tool for Windows to initially configure their wireless network.

I am waiting for my 15" PowerBook, but I wanted to get the wireless up and running in my new house.

I already have the AE base and a 802.11g card in my PC, but I am somewhat afraid to tinker with the AE station unless I know the beta from apple works at least decently well.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Hickman

bbrowne74

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2003
Yes

I've used it here at work (in a school district) and it worked fine for me. I've never done a firmware update yusing it (dont' know if you can) but the basic admin of it was fine.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Did everything from a windows XP box... Update firware, build a WDS, everything worked like a charm.

Two things that caught my attention:

1. When making a change in the config of the BS, the whole thing restarts after applying

2. If there is an ethernet cable connected to the LAN side of the BS, in my case it became highly unstable. Depending on the load, it would crash once a day, till once every 3 hours. Since my entire LAN is wireless, i've experienced little to no problem now.

So, as far as my experience goes, i'd say, go for it.

Cuckoo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.