Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Apple has sold three generations of the Airport Extreme:

M8930LL/A -- original; could not use an external antenna
M8799LL/A -- added external antenna capability plus a modem jack
M9399LL/A -- removed the modem jack but added Power Over Ethernet (UL 2043 standard)

In Apple's store, all the refurbs are the second-generation, the M8799LL/A.

Does anyone have experience with both the second- and third-generation?

Is the second-generation, with its dedicated power cord, more reliable?

If I don't mind using a power cord, is there any point in paying more to get the third-generation?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Power Over Ethernet is one of those things in the category of "If you don't know why you'd need it, you don't."

The power over ethernet one isn't "third generation", it's a special product designed for businesses that are installing it in an area with no accessable power. Think of it as a different version of the second generation one. You'll notice it doesn't even show up in the "home" store--you need to be in the business or Edu institutional store to get that product.

If you're looking at this for a home setup, you DO NOT want the PoE version; not only does it leave out the modem and cost $50 more, but to make any use of the PoE feature--which is the only reason it costs more--requires special ethernet hardware that you don't have.

If you are a business, the only reason you would want one of these is if you specifically have need for a base station in a location where it is impractical to run AC power, so you'd rather supply the power via existing Ethernet wiring, PLUS you're willing to pay extra for it. You would know if this was your situation, and I don't think you'd be comparing them if it was.

Otherwise, you're spending more for features you neither want nor need, with no advantage otherwise--I'm sure the electronics inside are otherwise the same.

Now, between the first and second gen, I'd probably get a second gen just for the option of using an antenna and because it's newer, but I can't answer any particular reliability questions.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
PaulinMaryland said:
M8930LL/A -- original; could not use an external antenna
M8799LL/A -- added external antenna capability plus a modem jack
M9399LL/A -- removed the modem jack but added Power Over Ethernet (UL 2043 standard)
These are not generations they are all the same generation. They were sold at the same time for awhile. When I bought mine they gave us the option which one we wanted(of coarse for extra) We went with the one with the modem and antenna port. However other then that they are all the same. They dropped the non modem one to simplify there product line.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I have a AirPort Base Station from about two and a half years ago that I still use. I'm assuming that would be the first "generation", a quick google search didn't turn up anything. But that product was great. Wonderful range and power IMO.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
rockandrule said:
I have a AirPort Base Station from about two and a half years ago that I still use. I'm assuming that would be the first "generation", a quick google search didn't turn up anything. But that product was great. Wonderful range and power IMO.
January 2003 was when then the current generation came out.(3rd) If its older then that then it would be a 11 Mbps airport.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
trainguy77 said:
January 2003 was when then the current generation came out.(3rd) If its older then that then it would be a 11 Mbps airport.
Well, we purchased the PowerMac and Base Station towards the middle/end of January 2004, so it must be the 3rd generation. I'm not really sure whether it is one that is PoE or with the modem in it. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow if I remember.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
rockandrule said:
Well, we purchased the PowerMac and Base Station towards the middle/end of January 2004, so it must be the 3rd generation. I'm not really sure whether it is one that is PoE or with the modem in it. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow if I remember.
I can almost guarantee its not PoE.

OP: Really the only reason you may want to get the modem/atenna one is because either a really big house(I mean really big) or because you have dialup internet(not ADSL) But for most people the first one you mentioned would work just fine.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Thanks!

Thanks, Makosuke and Trainguy77. I now feel just fine getting the version without Power Over Ethernet.

But I do want to add an antenna. We have a large house, and when she's home from college, my daughter will want to use her Mac, as she put it, "anywhere and everywhere," including her bedroom (two stories up) and on the deck in our back yard.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Makosuke said:
Power Over Ethernet is one of those things in the category of "If you don't know why you'd need it, you don't."

The power over ethernet one isn't "third generation", it's a special product designed for businesses that are installing it in an area with no accessable power. Think of it as a different version of the second generation one. You'll notice it doesn't even show up in the "home" store--you need to be in the business or Edu institutional store to get that product.

If you're looking at this for a home setup, you DO NOT want the PoE version; not only does it leave out the modem and cost $50 more, but to make any use of the PoE feature--which is the only reason it costs more--requires special ethernet hardware that you don't have.

If you are a business, the only reason you would want one of these is if you specifically have need for a base station in a location where it is impractical to run AC power, so you'd rather supply the power via existing Ethernet wiring, PLUS you're willing to pay extra for it. You would know if this was your situation, and I don't think you'd be comparing them if it was.

Otherwise, you're spending more for features you neither want nor need, with no advantage otherwise--I'm sure the electronics inside are otherwise the same.

Now, between the first and second gen, I'd probably get a second gen just for the option of using an antenna and because it's newer, but I can't answer any particular reliability questions.

Thanks for the great info!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
PaulinMaryland said:
But I do want to add an antenna. We have a large house, and when she's home from college, my daughter will want to use her Mac, as she put it, "anywhere and everywhere," including her bedroom (two stories up) and on the deck in our back yard.
I would start out without the external antenna they have pretty good range. But still get the one with the port so if you figure you need the antenna later you can buy one. The airport does have decent range you would have to have a BIG house to need an antenna.(or lots of interference)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Makosuke said:

Not to be a smarta** or anything, but why would somebody run Cat-5 cable to an area where there is no AC power supply? Are we thinking of some remote, laptop oasis?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
savar said:
Not to be a smarta** or anything, but why would somebody run Cat-5 cable to an area where there is no AC power supply? Are we thinking of some remote, laptop oasis?
I have been involved in windows setup that has used POE. You tend to do it in the ceiling tiles. As that is where we have all our ethernet already run. Second its against code to run and extension cord through there.:D

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
antennas

trainguy77 said:
I would start out without the external antenna they have pretty good range. But still get the one with the port so if you figure you need the antenna later you can buy one. The airport does have decent range you would have to have a BIG house to need an antenna.(or lots of interference)
My thinking was: Get an omni antenna for the base unit, and a direct (70-degree directional) for each remote. I can pick up an omni reconditioned for $60, a direct reconditioned for $99, from the Dr. whatever site.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
trainguy77 said:
I have been involved in windows setup that has used POE. You tend to do it in the ceiling tiles. As that is where we have all our ethernet already run. Second its against code to run and extension cord through there.:D
As far as I know that's pretty much the only place PoE is used, since it's rated (as are the AEBSs that use PoE) for use above a drop ceiling or in air ducting, and for the most part AC gear is not.

It's all about code, or places where you've got Cat5 all over the place but no ready AC access--you can't necessarily just wire an outlet into the power for the lights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.