Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psurrena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Just moved and Comcast came today, dropped off the new modem. It's an Arris that also has the phone jack for VOIP calls.

When I plug from the modem to my iMac it works just fine but when I plug it to my AP Extreme, nothing. The base station doesn't even get the IP address.

Any idea?

-Pete

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is the AirPort's Internet pane in AirPort Admin Utility identical to the Ethernet pane in the Network section of System Preferences on the iMac? Does your ISP only allow a certain MAC address (not Mac, but MAC - in other words, a certain specific unit) to connect to its internet at any one time? You could check this by trying to use another machine hardwired with your modem. :)

psurrena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I hooked up an older comcast modem and it works just fine. It's the new Arris modem and I'm assuming its telephony component.

jamiec

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
AirPort Extreme + Arris Modem: Solved!

Just moved and Comcast came today, dropped off the new modem. It's an Arris that also has the phone jack for VOIP calls.

When I plug from the modem to my iMac it works just fine but when I plug it to my AP Extreme, nothing. The base station doesn't even get the IP address.

I ran into the exact same problem. Turns out all you have to do is press the little reset button on the back of the Arris modem!

I did that, restarted the AirPort just for the sake of completeness, and now everything is peachy.

cheers,
jamie

tolmang

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
My Arris modem has a battery pack

I had this problem also --Comcast / airport extreme. Using the reset button on the modem was not enough. I had to take out a battery pack from the modem and comcast had me unplug the coax in addition to the power supply to reset. Working fine after this. Hopefully this post will save someone a little time and frustration.

crezman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Same Problem

Thanks! I will try this when I go home. I've been having this problem and it's been driving me crazy!

crezman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Nope!

Nope, it didn't work. Took out battery, cord, everything. I'm starting to think this modem just does not work with AX. Does anyone know anything else?

diondrabutterfl

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Reset!

Thanks! unplug and reset modem worked perfectly! saved me from paying apple tech support (btw my rep equated himself w being a doctor, saying if you went to the doctor you'd have to pay for it). I would have been so mad if i had just paid for someone to tell me to unplug and reset-- why didn't i think of that! I had unplugged several times, but had not reset.

Now to figure out why my Netgear modem quit working after updating firmware-- but at least i have my airport wifi working!!

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.