Airport Extreme + Comcast / Arries modem not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psurrena, Nov 4, 2006.

1. psurrena macrumors newbie

May 29, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just moved and Comcast came today, dropped off the new modem. It's an Arris that also has the phone jack for VOIP calls.

When I plug from the modem to my iMac it works just fine but when I plug it to my AP Extreme, nothing. The base station doesn't even get the IP address.

Any idea?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Make sure that the firmware on the APE is up to date and you are connecting it right also a reset might wake it up:)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Is the AirPort's Internet pane in AirPort Admin Utility identical to the Ethernet pane in the Network section of System Preferences on the iMac? Does your ISP only allow a certain MAC address (not Mac, but MAC - in other words, a certain specific unit) to connect to its internet at any one time? You could check this by trying to use another machine hardwired with your modem. :)
  4. psurrena thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hooked up an older comcast modem and it works just fine. It's the new Arris modem and I'm assuming its telephony component.
  5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    make sure the aries modem is not in standby mode
  6. nickvalenti macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2007
    Same here

I can't get my airport extreme to work with my Arris modem
  7. jamiec macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2006
    AirPort Extreme + Arris Modem: Solved!

I ran into the exact same problem. Turns out all you have to do is press the little reset button on the back of the Arris modem!

I did that, restarted the AirPort just for the sake of completeness, and now everything is peachy.

8. tolmang macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2008
    My Arris modem has a battery pack

I had this problem also --Comcast / airport extreme. Using the reset button on the modem was not enough. I had to take out a battery pack from the modem and comcast had me unplug the coax in addition to the power supply to reset. Working fine after this. Hopefully this post will save someone a little time and frustration.
  9. crezman macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2009
    Same Problem

Thanks! I will try this when I go home. I've been having this problem and it's been driving me crazy!
  10. crezman macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2009

Nope, it didn't work. Took out battery, cord, everything. I'm starting to think this modem just does not work with AX. Does anyone know anything else?
  11. diondrabutterfl macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2011

Thanks! unplug and reset modem worked perfectly! saved me from paying apple tech support (btw my rep equated himself w being a doctor, saying if you went to the doctor you'd have to pay for it). I would have been so mad if i had just paid for someone to tell me to unplug and reset-- why didn't i think of that! I had unplugged several times, but had not reset.

Now to figure out why my Netgear modem quit working after updating firmware-- but at least i have my airport wifi working!!

Thanks again