Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Does anyone here have the airport extreme base station? Do you regret picking it up?

Also...can you connect your internet to your PC and Airport Extreme to have wireless access on a PB?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm upgrading to 802.11g from 802.11b, so Extreme is something for me to consider. However, I think it's on the expensive side compared to other offerings (Linksys, D-Link, etc.). Obviously, I'll get the Airport cards, but I doubt I'll get the base station.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Yeah, I picked one up off ebay. Love it - a bit pricey over the other options, but I like the integration with the hole mac suite.

You can share your DSL with peecees - I do it at the moment. DSL router into the airport. The hanging off that I've got an xbox, windows pc, linux box and my ibook.

You can either do the whole windows ICS thing, or the router like I've done. :)

The airport has both a wan and lan port on it, so you have lots of options.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
I had one, but I returned it after 1 week. It was because it didn' work with my DSL provider... tomorrow my Netgear will arrive.
Actually, I am glad I was able to return it. Besides the printer port, I see no reason to spend 215€ when it could be 95€. Well, I thought it would be worth it, but now I know it's not :D

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Savage Henry said:
Sure, they may be above the others for price, but like tzibo I like the integration with the whole Mac suite.
That was my first thought, too. But you can set the Netgear up via Safari in 2 Minutes, and then everything will work the same way it would with the AEBS. In fact, Macworld Germany just had a test for G-Routers, and the Netgear won over the Apple one...

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
I have not had any problems with my AEBS. However I use my AEBS as a bridge on my LAN, so I have not had to configure it to connect with an ISP.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have one and i dont regret it at all. it looks nice and works very well. so so so easy to set upi would say is the big plus along with the printer port.

so i would recomend it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.