Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgiddy911

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I am using a Macbook with airport. In my dorm I have the ethernet running to my netgear wireless router WGR614 v6. I have a closed 128bit wep network set up. My comuter is set to remember the password for it. It works fine and is zipppy when i am using my computer, however I often find that when I leave and the computer goes idle for a while, it drops the signal and i have to manually go to the airport menu and select my network again, then its fine.
Is this natural? or can this be fixed, it is rather annoying? Could it be fixed by somehow writting a script to keep the network active rather than allowing it to idle? I appeciate the help, Thanks in advance.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
mgiddy911 said:
I am using a Macbook with airport. In my dorm I have the ethernet running to my netgear wireless router WGR614 v6. I have a closed 128bit wep network set up. My comuter is set to remember the password for it. It works fine and is zipppy when i am using my computer, however I often find that when I leave and the computer goes idle for a while, it drops the signal and i have to manually go to the airport menu and select my network again, then its fine.
Is this natural? or can this be fixed, it is rather annoying? Could it be fixed by somehow writting a script to keep the network active rather than allowing it to idle? I appeciate the help, Thanks in advance.

I presume you have your Macbook set to automatically join your trusted networks. College dorms are probably flooded with wireless access points competing for the channels. You could maybe try switching channels to see if that helps

mgiddy911

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
My floor does not have any wireless standard, theres my network and one other one, the school dons't have wireless in our dorm yet, its 19 stories high.
i will try switching channels though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.