Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Heya,

Did a search, but couldn't find any answers --

In internet connect, I show a network connection (from strong to weak).

However, often when I load Safari (or Firefox, or Azureus), it tells me that I don't have a connection.

Is this common?
Any ideas why?

Thanks,

Mike

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Heya,

Did a search, but couldn't find any answers --

In internet connect, I show a network connection (from strong to weak).

However, often when I load Safari (or Firefox, or Azureus), it tells me that I don't have a connection.

Is this common?
Any ideas why?

Thanks,

Mike

You don't have to have an internet connection for you to be connected to your local network.

Is your internet connection working?

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
hmm

not sure I understand your question..

Are you saying that although i'm connected to the wireless network, the network is not connected to the internet?

This happens (connected but not connected) frequently enough that I'm asking the question -- it's not actually my connection, so I can't be 100% sure of the quality of the connect -- it just seems odd to me that the network would be dropping the internet connection so frequently.

Mike

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
not sure I understand your question..

Are you saying that although i'm connected to the wireless network, the network is not connected to the internet?

This happens (connected but not connected) frequently enough that I'm asking the question -- it's not actually my connection, so I can't be 100% sure of the quality of the connect -- it just seems odd to me that the network would be dropping the internet connection so frequently.

Mike

I have an Airport Express that is 5 feet from my iMac and it works fine. However, I can "see" about 5 wireless networks from neighbors' houses. Some of them work, with low reception. Others show 2 bars but do not work, as in Safari says there is no connection. If it's not your network, I'm not sure if you can do that much troubleshooting about it.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Yes, that's what your problem sounds like.

If it happens a few times a day, I'd say that is not unusual, but if it happens a lot, your neighbor should give a call to his ISP. :)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Yes, that's what your problem sounds like.

If it happens a few times a day, I'd say that is not unusual, but if it happens a lot, your neighbor should give a call to his ISP. :)

Try plugging your computer directly into the modem and see if you can access the internet. (Don't leave it this way though as you are wide open to the internet... Not safe)

I am saying your internet connection (comcast, roadrunner, verizon or whoever you have) may not be working.

Sounds like your actual network is working fine though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.