Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kahoona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Just purchased an airport on recomendation from apple shop! problem is that i cannot get it to work. The manual says that my ibook must first be set up to isp. problem1. my ethernet connection is damaged(hence reason for airport) and I cannot set up an isp on this ibook. Problem2. without isp i cannot connect airport!

anyone give me some advice, losing hair fast!!

Thanks

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. If your ISP's settings were already set up on your iBook before the Ethernet port was damaged, then they'd still be on there. Try plugging everything in and see if it works.

If your ISP wasn't set up on the iBook previous to your Ethernet becoming unusable, just plug everything in, fire up the AirPort Admin Utility, and enter the settings manually as provided by your ISP.

The reason it probably wants you to set things up by Ethernet first is so that the AirPort connection can be auto-configured. I seem to remember that there was an option on the AirPort Setup Assistant for "don't have ISP" or "set up ISP later". In any case, if you can get the iBook to properly connect to the base station, and have the base station properly wired to your cable/DSL/phone line or whatever you use for access, you should be able to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.