Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
Hey all,

My friend has a 1Ghz Powerbook G4, and I'm not absolutely positive, but I believe he has a AirPort Extreme Card, but it may be a regular AirPort Card. The problem is, I didn't really read the instructions before I started getting to installing, so I didnt know the network needed to be in place already, then it would transfer the settings. I tried doing the reset but that didnt do anything. Now that I have a direct connection from his laptop to his cable modem, I would like to link the modem to the AirPort Base Station so I can broadcast the signal. Also, we have lost the manuals that came with it. After I reset the AP it still cant find the network, do I need to be connected via USB to the AirPort, or is it just for printers. I really need some help. Thanks in advance.

-rman

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1) Hook up the Airport to the modem. Making sure to Plug it into the WAN port not the LAN port. The LAN Port has an icon that looks like this... <->, I'm not sure about the WAN icon. Power Off The Modem and the Airport Base. Then power them back on.

2) Use the Powerbook to Configure the Airport. Use the Airpost Setup Assistant in the Utilities Folder under Applications. Make sure to set the Airport Base to broadcast DHCP (or NAT) over the wireless but not the wires. Configure it exactally how you would set up a computer.

That should be all (I set one up in 3 minutes with out any training or experience.)

About the Powering off, Sometimes you have to do it for several minutes.

BTW, USB on AP is for printers only, and if it has USB, then you have APX. Also, What size it the Powerbook? A 15" as Airport, a 17" has APX. Also make sure if it is a 15, to set the Basestation to use 802.11b/g both or just 802.11b only... NEVER 802.11g only. A 17 will do both.

TEG

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
My understanding is that the ethernet cable from the modem is supposed to be plugged into the WAN port. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by rman2008
My understanding is that the ethernet cable from the modem is supposed to be plugged into the WAN port. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

-rman2000

You are correct. The connection to the cable Modem or DSL modem is through the WAN (Wide Area Network) port. Its icon is ten dots arranged in a circle - like staring down a Gatling gun. The computers inside you house are to connect to eht LAN (Local Area Network) port, and its icon is the afor-mentioned <->.

If the computer you are referring to is a Titanium 15", it's a regular AirPort card. Not AirPort Extreme - those are in the Aluminum books, and of course, we're still waiting on the 15" version of those.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Originally posted by rman2008

That IS what I said, I just didn't know the symbol, so I said the one that doesn't look like a <->.

TEG

justin__s

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2003
from the start

imac 350 slot-loading
imac 233 original

both OS 9.1

I'd like to wirelessly network these two boxes, and as cheaply as possible. Three questions:

1) Do I need Airport, or will another brand (Linksys, Belkin, Netgear) suffice?

2) Likewise, can I use a third-party card or (for the 233) USB adapter (like Netgear's MA111)

3) Will either of these computers need to be wired to the base station for more than just the setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.