Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Hi, all. I recently set up an AirPort network to share a cable modem. It was working great until now. When I'm done on the web I turn my computer's AirPort card off and put it to sleep. Then, when I return and wake it up, the AirPort shows a strong signal and my network settings show that I'm connected to the network, but Safari will not load anything and says it cannot find the server. Mail will not get my email, either. So, I mess around with AirPort setup assistant and AirPort Admin. utility. After a little while, without changing anything, suddenly everything works as it is supposed to. What is going on? Is my AirPort a lemon? Does it not take well to having the computer put to sleep? Any help you can offer will be appreciated because I don't have a clue what is causing this.

sruebsam

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
Air Port trouble?

Hi!
I have a similar problem with the safari browser, which continually insists that it "cannot find a server" while my airport card tells me that there is a strong signal from my usual router access point (which I have been using for days now!), and whose name it recoginzes (just as usual)! Right now, I'm using safari with a standard dial-up connection, and it does not flinch...
i have no clue why safari has given up work when it comes to wireless connections, or what went wrong between the browser and the airport card...
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
silja :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Can you be more specific with the wireless end of your setup?

If you have a DSL/Cable, then you may be using the OS X built in PPPoE, the Router built in, or special software (like Earthlink provides) to do this.

Often, when you put the Mac to sleep, the broadband connection is lost. Thus, when you awake, you need to re-establish the connection. PPPoE in some cases at the software side has trouble knowing when to re-initiate the connection. If your Mac never went to sleep, it would remain active for a long time.

If you have a hardware router, MOST brands have built-in PPPoE. If so, you enter your account name and password there, and not in OS X and the router never goes to sleep and keeps a constant connection.

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
I had a similar problem trying to sign on to a hotspot at a coffee shop.

Safari was supposed to automatically redirect me to the hotspot's homepage so I could sign in ... but it didn't! Network connection was great.

Then I opened up IE and it redirected me just fine.

So, is this exclusively a Safari issue?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Sort of. Its not limited to Safari. Often, the software side of the VLAn or gateway is designed for IE cause of the whole MS monopoly. So they use some custom command for IE and standards compliant browsers do not like it.

I suggest a combo of Firefox and Safari. I have never had a problem with BOTH browsers. And the Mozilla based has tabs, and all the features we love about Safari.
mac_gal said:
I had a similar problem trying to sign on to a hotspot at a coffee shop.

Safari was supposed to automatically redirect me to the hotspot's homepage so I could sign in ... but it didn't! Network connection was great.

Then I opened up IE and it redirected me just fine.

So, is this exclusively a Safari issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.