Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Might not be specific to Airports, but I have my airport/ time capsule set up in my home office. It work fine & I have no issues with it. I do have a guest network set up & I use my work computer on the Guest network.

My initial thought in doing this was to keep work traffic/ computers, etc separate from my personal stuff as much as possible.

My question is, is there any downside to using my work computer on the guest network. I still get basically the entire download/upload speeds that my internet provider offers, but I'm not sure if there are any other factors I need to consider.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
guest networks will slow down your base station, Since each radio is having to deal with 2 networks. The 2 networks also share bandwidth, So doing a full speed download on guest, will slow down the main.

Also if the guest network is not coming from your main router, or you don't have VLANs set up, Then any traffic on the guest and main wifi networks are combined once it hits the base station. So depending on your configuration, there may not be much separation of the 2 networks.

Reactions: mk313

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
guest network is so you dont have to hand out your passkey to your primary network.
If you want to separate traffic it would require a layer 3 switch to handle routing to and from the different vlans.
Ubiquiti Enterprise POE8 is one of the best switches on the market for that purpose.

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Thank you both for the replies. Sounds like using the guest network isn't really doing anything for me. I'll switch it back over to the regular network to lower overhead on the base station.

Appreciate the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.