Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I have a wireless n/w at home as follows:

• cable modem connected to Airport Extreme Base Station
• iMac connected via ethernet port on AEBS
• PowerBook connected via 802.11g card
• HP inkjet (5150 or something) connected via Airport Express USB port (Rendevouz)

I also have an HP OfficeJet D135 AIO and an Epson Stylus Photo 900 connected to the iMac via USB. [Yes, that's a lot of printers. Got the AIO first, then wanted the Epson to print directly on CD/DVD media, and the HP inkjet was free after rebate with the PB.]

Just got my wife a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-S170B) because she needs a PC for specific applications not available for Mac. Is there any thing I can add/change that will permit her to access any of these printers via wireless card? If we had a laser printer with a n/w card plugged into the Airport BS or Express, could she access it then? Does she have to plug in via USB to print?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hey there,

your wife can print to the AE connected base station via WinXP. It's a pain in the ass to set up, but once it's done, it's sorted. No worries.

I dont know about printing to the printer connected to the iMac I'm afraid.

See linked article for info about how to print to AE connected printer via wireless..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107998

hope this helps,

/asif

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
asif786 said:
hey there,

your wife can print to the AE connected base station via WinXP. It's a pain in the ass to set up, but once it's done, it's sorted. No worries.

I dont know about printing to the printer connected to the iMac I'm afraid.

See linked article for info about how to print to AE connected printer via wireless..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107998

hope this helps,

/asif

Thanks, I hope it helps, too. Otherwise my wife is going to be supremely PO'd that she can't print wirelessly. Do you think this works only with the Base Station? I'd love to let her access the printer plugged into the USB port on the Express, since it is on the middle floor of our townhouse.
I'll try it when I get home from work tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.