Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aussiepaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Hi ... I originally purchased my Mac G4 without the airport card. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. Recently we changed our Cable company and I now have WiFi capability.

I have also upgraded my computer to 1 GB DDR Ram and am running 10.5.8 on it along with additional external memory. The computer still runs well and now I'm thinking of purchasing an airport card. Would it be worth it or should I save my money purchase a new mac?

Also should I buy a used airport card or would I be better getting it brand new?

Thanks in advance

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi ... I originally purchased my Mac G4 without the airport card. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. Recently we changed our Cable company and I now have WiFi capability.

I have also upgraded my computer to 1 GB DDR Ram and am running 10.5.8 on it along with additional external memory. The computer still runs well and now I'm thinking of purchasing an airport card. Would it be worth it or should I save my money purchase a new mac?

Also should I buy a used airport card or would I be better getting it brand new?

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is an issue buying a used working Airport card, but i think this would be the original Airport and there might now be connection issues with the newer wifi standards? Not sure, someone else might suggest a USB wifi card instead.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I would need more info before being certain, but most of the g4s work with the airport extreme which is wireless g. should have no trouble connecting to any 2.4ghz network. You will need a version of Mac os that supports wpa like tiger to work with newer protected networks.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Yes if you tell us your processor speed then that will determine what card you can install (1.0Ghz and 1.25 Ghz 17, the 20inch model and the 1.0Ghz 15inch iMac are Airport extreme the rest are Airport only) if its an iBook G4 then there all Airport extreme. Ive had a few second hand wireless cards and their all still working so I would save the money and go used.
You will need a version of Mac os that supports wpa like tiger to work with newer protected networks.
He's on Leopard so no problems there. The card (Airport or Airport extreme) will both work with your router it will just limit the speed G=54mbps which is Airport extreme and B=11mbps which is Airport. Its all on the 2.4ghz band the only thing is if you have other devices on the same network at the same time say a G or N device then the B will slow the network down just something to think about. Obviously the ethernet at 100mbps will be faster and won't slow any other wireless device down. Just some stuff to think about :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.