Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Periodically I will do some trolling of the internets for PowerPC stuff.

I did that today and I came across Airserver.

Airserver allows streaming of content from your iDevice to your Mac/PC. In my case, my Quicksilver.

The last version available for PowerPC is 3.1.2.

A couple of caveats. It was not until later versions that Airserver was able to send video so 3.1.2 is limited to audio only. But it does work. I was able to stream Google Music to my QS speakers.

Also, only version 6 and above will work with devices running iOS 9.

The next hunt though was a version that still worked on Snow Leopard and allowed for video as well.

After some trial and error which locked my MBP up about four times I found the last version for Snow Leopard to be 5.3.2. The Internet Wayback Machine helped immensely here as those versions have been archived there.

So, finally, I was able to mirror my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.1) to my MBP. Note that the documentation for Airserver 6 and above states that you need 10.8/10.9 to mirror content. Not true. 5.3.2 handles it just fine on a SL Mac.

Just passing this along in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Periodically I will do some trolling of the internets for PowerPC stuff.

I did that today and I came across Airserver.

Airserver allows streaming of content from your iDevice to your Mac/PC. In my case, my Quicksilver.

The last version available for PowerPC is 3.1.2.

A couple of caveats. It was not until later versions that Airserver was able to send video so 3.1.2 is limited to audio only. But it does work. I was able to stream Google Music to my QS speakers.

Also, only version 6 and above will work with devices running iOS 9.

The next hunt though was a version that still worked on Snow Leopard and allowed for video as well.

After some trial and error which locked my MBP up about four times I found the last version for Snow Leopard to be 5.3.2. The Internet Wayback Machine helped immensely here as those versions have been archived there.

So, finally, I was able to mirror my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.1) to my MBP. Note that the documentation for Airserver 6 and above states that you need 10.8/10.9 to mirror content. Not true. 5.3.2 handles it just fine on a SL Mac.

Just passing this along in case anyone is interested.

Don't forget to mention airfoil as well :) I have these apps in the same state as now core player if you know what I mean... I mention this only in case you can't buy them anymore.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have nearly every older version of this software archived. But I think you can still download most of the last supported versions from their site. I know 2.2.1 was the last version that supported Tiger.

Reactions: eyoungren

PPCMac

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Don't forget to mention airfoil as well :) I have these apps in the same state as now core player if you know what I mean... I mention this only in case you can't buy them anymore.

Hi,
I was wondering if you may be able to help me with regards to that. I will also check to see if it can be downloaded or not, but would appreciate any help. Just got my 3rd Powermac G5 (Quad now) but I lack a lot of the software I would need and a lot of it can't be found online any more.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Gotta love AirServer!

Finder.png
2016-05-14 11.09.21.png

Reactions: Dronecatcher

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Soma FM....my default internet radio station :)
SomaFM and Drone Zone has been my go to since 2001. They actually got started a year earlier, but I didn't find out about them until internet radio with iTunes, RealPlayer and Live365 became big. They pioneered the legal battle that won internet radio the right to stay on the air and continue broadcasting.

That was the OS9 era and I've always streamed Drone Zone through iTunes since then. Once I found out in late 2012 that SomaFM had an iOS app I went that route. One of the first apps I actually bought in the App store.

SomaFM is just cool!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
SomaFM and Drone Zone has been my go to since 2001. They actually got started a year earlier, but I didn't find out about them until internet radio with iTunes, RealPlayer and Live365 became big. They pioneered the legal battle that won internet radio the right to stay on the air and continue broadcasting.

That was the OS9 era and I've always streamed Drone Zone through iTunes since then. Once I found out in late 2012 that SomaFM had an iOS app I went that route. One of the first apps I actually bought in the App store.

SomaFM is just cool!

That's around when I picked up on it, probably on WinAmp or Music Match Jukebox - Win 95 on a 133Mhz Pentium :)

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
3.1.2 is limited to audio only
This isn't true. 3.1.2 can handle very early display casting. It's also there in the preferences on which display to use when casting. If you only try from later OSX or iOS versions, it is more likely that they use a newer version of AirPlay display casting than what 3.1.2 supports. If I remember correctly, display casting was still relatively new when 3.x came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.