Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
AirTags are extremely helpful for traveling I almost missed one of my bags before I left to Dubai. I thought all the bags were checked in until I track the AirTags and one luggage was on the bus heading back to the Airport parking lot where I left my vehicle. Without the AirTag I would've basically land in Dubai and wait until they find the luggage not knowing its in Florida.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I use them in my luggage, it won't beep unless you press the Play Sound button. They are extremely useful for tracking your luggage and keeping an eye out to see if your luggage is close on the carousel.
They shouldn't. But even if they do, in an airport, they will never be heard. The beeping os not that loud.
They won't beep until you press the sound button. And yes you can leave them in your luggage. You would have to check the Find My app and under devices to see where your luggage is.

I thought they start beeping when away from your phone as part of the anti-stalking feature?…
So I can safely leave them in baggage where they wont make Any noise?
And if so, will my iPhone keep alerting me that I’ve lost my bags once they are taken in?

They will most certainly chirp when they move and your phone is not around. That said, It will be barely audible in an airport, and the baggage handlers wont care.

If you dont believe me (I've personally tested it) here is the Apple support page that says so too.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227

"If you hear an AirTag emitting a sound:

To alert people nearby, any AirTag separated for a period of time from its owner will emit a sound when it's moved. If you find an AirTag after hearing it make a sound, you can use any device that has NFC, such as an iPhone or Android phone, to see if its owner marked it as lost and if you can help return it. If you feel that this AirTag or Find My network accessory might be tracking people without their consent, you can get instructions on how to disable it."

Last edited:

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
Since I fly with a firearm, I always put an Air Tag in the same locked container that the firearm goes in. The Air Tag has saved me on more than one occasion. Any luggage containing a firearm is supposed to go to the special handling counter, however, on several occasions my luggage has been unceremoniously dumped on the carousel. Luckily, I was quickly able to locate my bag using my Air Tag. On one occasion, the Airlines misplaced my bag and couldn’t locate it. I tracked it via Air Tag and they sent a person to check.. it was exactly where I said it was; a hallway leading to the special handling counter.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The airlines are likely trying to ban airtags precisely because they allow for calling them out on their shenanigans. Starts to become common that airlines claim the luggage to be lost even though you can see it sitting at the airport for weeks.

Many Airlines actually provide their own „tracking“ by now like if I check my phone right before departure, I usually get a push notification from the airline, telling me that the luggage made it on the plane and upon arrival, I get another notification (provided you have data obviously) like „I hope you had a nice flight experience, your luggage is waiting on carousel X for you“.

Granted, this only really helps if everything goes according to plan and they do lot loose it somewhere along the way. In that case, AirTag is still a good idea

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Many Airlines actually provide their own „tracking“ [...] Granted, this only really helps if everything goes according to plan
Catch 22, the tracking only works as long as the luggage isn't lost. They aren't tracking anything, they are scanning the tag they fixed to the luggage like they have done since the beginning of modern air travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.