Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Hi,

I just picked up an Airport Express, and I LOVE it.

I just configured my setup like so:

Cable Modem ----> Wireless Router (network name "Joey") ---> Airport Express (via ethernet cable) ... (network name "Express")

Now, from what I can gather, I need to be on the network created by the airtunes (ie, "Express") in order to play music from this network. However, at this point I would think I have a redundant wireless network...true?

I would like to have the following:

Cable Modem ---> Airport Express

And run the wireless network from airtunes to my 3 laptops...

However, for some reason, this is not working. I followed the instructions (which are horrible) and tried to set it up as it's own network...still not working.

So, am I crazy or is it not possible to set up the Airport Express as a wireless router?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Don't know the answer but it's called an Airport Express, Airtunes is the part of iTunes that can send music to speakers plugged into an APX.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, you've got an AirPort Express at a guess. They're not terribly hard to set up, usually. Follow the instructions or use the Assistant to create a new network, assuming you don't want it to join an existing wireless network. Then, assuming your laptops have 802.11b/g cards, get them to connect to the network. Having done that, go to iTunes on said laptop, select your Express (you'll have given it a name by now) from the drop down list at the bottom and start playing music. Now, if you have speakers plugged into the Express, they'll start playing your music through AirTunes. :)

Does this help?

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Sorry -

I have edit'd the post and changed all mention of airtunes to AE

The problem is: I cant use the AE as a standalone router. Currently, I have it joined to the wireless network created from my netgear wireless router. However, I would love to ditch the 802.11b netgear and simply use the AE...(since it is 54g)

Also, I really dont need the netgear as I only have 3 laptops in the house and nothing else...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Uh huh. I think I understand. You used the Assistant to attach it to your current wireless network already, right? Well, it should still work with AirTunes.

Nevertheless, run the AirPort Setup Assistant again and instead of making the Express join the given network, make it start a new one. It should be pretty easy and straight forward. :)

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
We just got an AE last week and it's working quite well.

Ok, so you have the Cable Modem -----> AiportExpress?

Have you tried using Airport Setup Assistant already?

If, after having used the setup assistant, you still have trouble then do this:
Unplug the AE from power. Make sure all necessary other plugs are in (ethernet, stereo jack, and printer if you have one to plug in). Then connect the power and crank up the assistant again.

Keep us posted. :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i have used my AE to pump out my internet to all my PC's and Mac's in my house and also use it as airtunes and it has always worked for me

.............................|---> Mac Mini
.............................|---> Mrs work PC Lappy
.............................|---> Powerbook (running Kiss Link)
.............................|---> Sony PSP Wi-Fi
Broadband --> AE ----> Airtunes to my Hi-Fi
.....................|
.....................|-------> Belkin Wi-fi Bridge -----> Kiss DVD 1500 Wi-fi

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
liketom said:
i have used my AE to pump out my internet to all my PC's and Mac's in my house and also use it as airtunes and it has always worked for me

.............................|---> Mac Mini
.............................|---> Mrs work PC Lappy
.............................|---> Powerbook (running Kiss Link)
.............................|---> Sony PSP Wi-Fi
Broadband --> AE ----> Airtunes to my Hi-Fi
.....................|
.....................|-------> Belkin Wi-fi Bridge -----> Kiss DVD 1500 Wi-fi

Kudos on the diagram liketom. Oh, and you might want to check your sig out; the URL tag is mis-formatted.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
your ISP maybe not let unregistered routers on their network. call and see if you need to register it since Airport express cannot clone MAC addresses.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
That might be what it is...

Although Im not sure why that is something you would need to manually set up.

I bet this is the issue as they would need to know whenever I add a new wireless router. So I will call them when I get home from work and try to get them to recognize this new wireless device.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
qtip919 said:
That might be what it is...

Although Im not sure why that is something you would need to manually set up.

I bet this is the issue as they would need to know whenever I add a new wireless router. So I will call them when I get home from work and try to get them to recognize this new wireless device.

FYI, If you didn't have to setup the Netgear to clone your PCs MAC address, then you wouldn't have to do so for the Express...Understand MAC (Media Access Control) doesn't mean Macintosh...

Sounds to me you should re-read the manual for the AE, re-check all the settings, and then "reboot" your network devices by unplugging them for 30 secs and then plugging them all in back in the following order.

Cable Modem - wait til its ready (your manual will tell you the visual to look for)
Airport Express - wait til its ready

Then try to reconnect to the wireless network. Make sure you are using DHCP on all the wireless client machines and not some fancy pants fixed IP scheme since this could cause problems if your AE isn't using the same subnet as your Netgear did. Some devices use 10.0.x.x and some use 192.168.x.x

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Does Airport Express port has the feature to set up the password and "non broadcast" mode? I think it does not. In that case, it is not very secure to use it as a main hub for your home network as anyone in the neighborhood can use your connection. I used Airport Express port when I travel and the hotel only has the wired connection (I make the wi fi in the room so that I don't have to connect the hotel's wire to my PB).

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
YS2003 said:
Does Airport Express port has the feature to set up the password and "non broadcast" mode? I think it does not. In that case, it is not very secure to use it as a main hub for your home network as anyone in the neighborhood can use your connection. I used Airport Express port when I travel and the hotel only has the wired connection (I make the wi fi in the room so that I don't have to connect the hotel's wire to my PB).

Disregarding the blatant misuse of the word "port"...

Simply check the box that says "Create a closed network". :D

Or... you could just use 128-bit encryption; and no, the neighborhood won't be able to access it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• aesecurity.png
    aesecurity.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 67

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I meant to say airport express base station. It's good to know this small base station has the features for secure wireless network setting. I thought I was able to set up the secure network only via the regular Airport base station or any other 3rd party wireless hub such as Belkin.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
YS2003 said:
I meant to say airport express base station. It's good to know this small base station has the features for secure wireless network setting. I thought I was able to set up the secure network only via the regular Airport base station or any other 3rd party wireless hub such as Belkin.

I'd be surprised to find ANY wireless station that doesn't offer similar security methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.