Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucacalvia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2006
I have just bought an Alesis usb multimix and plugged it on my iMac via usb port. After a couple of weeks I've start hearing a hum when listening to music from the computer through the mixer. The hum became louder and louder every day, so I've checked all the connections and tested the devices separately until I've realized that if I use another usb port it works fine. Basically in three weeks I've ruined a usb port (only for sound transmission as far as I can see).

Have you ever heard of it? Do you think I can safely start using another usb port without fear of damage that one aswell?

Thanks, Luca

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Does the USB port still respond when you plug another device into it, like a mouse or a printer?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Most people have that problem with the USB version. The FireWire version corrects this problem and runs a lot better and cleaner with more tracks simultaneously. If you can take it back and get credit towards a FireWire MultiMix, that's your best bet.

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.