Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
people are just too cheap

High quality software is the cheapest it has EVER been and people still complain!
For most people here the cost of this app is probably 10 minutes pay in your jobs! Even less for the iphone version.

I dont mind when people say an update is crap, or its a waste of time. I get that, 5 minutes of my day is valuable. But to complain over 99 cents or 5 dollars for something that took months of time and skill to develop is just really sad.

If your employers took the same view of your work that you do with these apps I'm sure you'd be happy getting no more money a week because you did a similar job on a file last week!

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Can't believe some of the tightness on here, seriously this thing is $4.99 and some of you cant shell out a little change for a new app with new features to support the devs? It IS a new app, not an upgrade - the colour is eye candy but if you understood why they've included colour then you'd understand its tied directly to the track analysis, not forgetting the sampler, new traktor style views and other touches.

Come on man. The trouble is not the price (especially at the moment) but people expecting everything to be free these days.

blogcraft

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
I don´t think I'll buy this app.. again, just for some updates... They could just update the ones we already have... :( and worst, still no universal app...

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
This is getting just as annoying as people saying 'Safari seems snappier'. There are way too many kids on this forum, I need to avoid the comments more.

This is getting just as annoying as people complaining about 'Slow news Day'. There are way too many complainers on this forum, I need to avoid these comments more.

----------

I don´t think I'll buy this app.. again, just for some updates... They could just update the ones we already have... :( and worst, still no universal app...

If you charge $5.99 on a iPhone version people only using it on iPhones' small screens will grumble. This way is better.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Slow news day? :D

Suppose if had anything to do with organizing all of your 'L' lenses, you'd accept it as 'front page' news, eh? :rolleyes:
Amazing software, award winning app---an unbelievable price for an "Apple" only application. Yes, it's news. Good News too! Thanks Arn. Some of us appreciate your efforts.

Do they really think that people will pay for every update? I won't. That's not how AppStore works.

Sooooo many of these comments, almost made me throw up a bit in my mouth. Hopefully this isn't the world we can look forward to living in moving forward. You'd think in this day and age of AAA console titles debuting @ $60 a pop, mandatory $60/year (MS Live) access to content, and a 6 month wait just to see a $20 drop in pricing on the software itself...Five bucks for this gem is a freakin' Bargain! It absolutely IS an update....damn near a dozen in Version 1 came with it as it matured for 'Free'. This takes the app to a whole new level with built in drum pad, effect pad, track analysis...for those that actually enjoy music, work with music...or just like to fart around in their bedroom dJay2 is a 'must' buy...if you own an iOS device.

Original a great app with a fatal flaw-cant mix out in stereo. Your mixes record mono-sound crap. This just seems like eye candy. Shame they can't work out a stereo output solution. I guess it's down to hardware limitation.

That's been fixed for some time....oops, disregard, you've already been alerted to that 'fix'.

For a paid upgrade (counting the introduction price as 'upgrade' seems reasonable), I don't think this offers that much over the old version. A little bit of extra colour and a few beats don't quite justify new money, in my view.

I feel being double-dipped.

You're missing quite a bit if all you're seeing is color and beat additions. Even just a quick scan of the article though, you'd know that.

i have itunes Match and it doesn't work well with that. Fix that, and I'll consider buying it. I was not too impressed with Djay 1.0

iTunes Match doesn't work with anything!---including itself;). Hopefully Apple is working to improve iTM. It definitely needs 'help'. I don't blame this on Algoriddim

I paid for a lot of apps, and i understand the devs need money to continue their work. But this is not a new app, it's just an update. So i'll keep the 'few dollars' for other new apps.

And you felt the need to tell us? It absolutely IS a new app...you've apparently no idea what goes into creating software this powerful....if you bought the original, it's going to still work fine....and you enjoyed multiple 'free' updates along the ride. Hang on to your 5 spot. Buy a latte...or put a gallon of gas in your car. Neither will be there in the morning, but I'll still be enjoying dJay2 and most likely another 18 months of updates and fine tuning of an incredible piece of software. Of over 500 apps purchased for our iOS devices since 2008, this is in the Top 10 of my favorites.

I truly Honestly hope this isn't the 'actual attitude' on the street. I always thought it sad folks couldn't pony up the 10 bucks for an album (CD for the younger folks) when it dropped (first week specials). Now the shelves and music store industry is gone. No one wanted to 'pay' for their music...so many felt entitled to get it for 'free' without regard to it's creation (the artists, studios, and the greedy record companies). Piracy of software....and now crying about a $5 app upgrade being 'too much'....we deserve another free update. If this is our collective attitudes, the app development community will die. It obviously isn't....just the vocal majority that decides to bark when they feel the least bit slighted.

The vast portion of the populace seems to be 'on board' with buying apps @ this price. Never in the history of computing have we had ANYTHING like the AppStore/Play--Go Store....and nearly a million apps in each. It's awesome. It's an amazing time to be into technology, regardless of your interest. Some folks aren't DJs....but for 5 bucks, everyone can 'pretend!'. And...if for some reason you actually ARE a DJ, this app is a diamond in the rough...and will save your ass in what could be a critical situation during a gig, as a redundant/back up/contingency plan when the computer (Serato/Traktor or your software of choice) decides to crash....CD deck won't let go of a CD----you get the idea. No one wants dead air...and simply connecting the iPad to the rig with dJay and a couple thousand tunes will save your day/night/party Every Time!

As usual...I didn't plan to go on this long!! But as someone that has made a living spinning records and playing music (radio and my own business) for 25 years now...it's easy to remember the effort it took JUST to load in the music for a gig. Milk crates filled with vinyl, records (Other than Thriller) that were good for only a song or two....the music load in was easily into the hundreds of pounds!! That didn't change a whole lot if you had an updated CD collection before the 'burners' were main stream. Able to carry a massive and all inclusive music collection on a 1.5 pound tablet WITH software like dJay to play it back with----absolutely Priceless!

J

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
'Free upgrades forever' is not a sustainable business model for devs. Or Apple for that matter.

It's worked pretty damn well for Rovio... Of course, they've got a bunch of popular apps out...

Last edited:

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Can't believe some of the tightness on here, seriously this thing is $4.99 and some of you cant shell out a little change for a new app with new features to support the devs? It IS a new app, not an upgrade - the colour is eye candy but if you understood why they've included colour then you'd understand its tied directly to the track analysis, not forgetting the sampler, new traktor style views and other touches.

Come on man. The trouble is not the price (especially at the moment) but people expecting everything to be free these days.

I'm willing to bet the same people have had no problem paying $5 or more for things that take a lot less work to make, like a coffee from Starbucks or a meal from McDonalds...

people have short memories... software like this was nonexistent 5 years ago, and what quality software WAS out there cost much more than $5

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
there have been plenty of free updates to version 1, but this is a new version and devs have to eat too. So they can't make updates free forever.

True. But one of Apple's original claims about iOS apps (and Mac apps) is that software updates would be automatically pushed to you. Obviously, for a company that only makes a few apps that's a poor business model. So now we have the solution -- the original app still receives free updates (until the company simply stops supporting it), but if you want a fresh version of the app you now have to pay. Apple just did that with Logic Pro, and now the flood gates are opening.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
They have bills to pay and food to put on the table too, you know. It never ceases to amaze me that we live in an age where paying a few dollars for software upsets so many people.

I agree but on a separate note, paying $1.29 for a single song is ridiculous. I understand how it gets divided up and that the artist makes very little per song but the label, Apple, and whoever else needs to lighten up. I feel all songs should be $0.69 and that is a fair price for a digital file that requires no manufacturing to reproduce after it is crafted.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I've had it for a long time and loved it until I put my music in iTumes Match and found it no longer works.

I was hoping this update would finally fix that.

As a current owner who already bought it once, paying FULL price for an update doesn't sit well me. I feel I am being taken advantage of.
I don't have to worry though, I won't be buying because it is not compatible with iTunes Match where my music is.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Unfortunately, Apple's app store business model does not currently allow for upgrade pricing.
It is all or nothing.
There should be a method to check if you own the app, you only have to pay this amount for a limited time.
I actually think it is fair but for what I use it for, basic crossfade playing of my music library, it is of no use to me.
The one feature I would pay for is the ability to use my Cloud library (iTunes Match) and this doesn't seem to solve that.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Clearly u never owned the first one. This app simply put is better because its not universal . The iPad version is made specifically for iPad and the iPhone version is totally different utilizing iPhone strengths

Clearly you've never owned a universal app that still looks completely different on iPad & iPhone utilising both strengths and is still one universal app.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Clearly you've never owned a universal app that still looks completely different on iPad & iPhone utilising both strengths and is still one universal app.

so you mean universal price really ..one price for both apps.

i know,my point is yes it's nice to pay once for both app versions but i can understand why when a developer points 2 price tags on 2 different apps

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Well this sucks. I only just bought the app for my iPad a month or so ago:( wish I knew this new one was in the works, then I would have waited.

I'm not a dj or anything like that, although I feel like one when playing around with this app:D so imo buying dJay2 would be a very expensive update for an app I only launch now and again..

Last edited:

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
iTunes Match doesn't work with anything!---including itself;). Hopefully Apple is working to improve iTM. It definitely needs 'help'. I don't blame this on Algoriddim

Same thing goes for "auto download purchased music" option and "syncing playlist" option with iTunes. Those options work find on their own but not when a third-party app is using music *and* iCloud syncing... :(

(O.T., time to add a new "old versions" folder on my iPhone...;))

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Algoriddim has launched a sequel to their popular djay iOS app. Djay was originally a Mac application, but has since found wide popularity on the iPhone and iPad. The iOS version has won a 2011 Apple Design Award and has seen millions of downloads.

Article Link: Algoriddim Launches Djay 2 for iPhone and iPad

This looks sweet! I don't think I will bother with the iPhone version, though, because I want the real estate of the iPad screen. Like at least one user commented, it's a great price for a toy for people who want to play DJ. (And even a pro backs the product.)

I'm assuming that this iTunes Match problem is a function of the fact that the music is not stored on the iDevice, right? I pay for iTunes Match for the matching and such (can't wait for iTunes Radio to come out - ad-free listening), but I actually keep my music on my iPhone because I can't depend on good signal while driving across Texas. The next step would be an improved car radio interface (the BMW interface on my 2004 is no bueno), so I look forward to the pronounced iCar interface stuff. It's creepy how one little purchase cascades into so many others (go, go, iPod "halo"). (No, I am not buying a new car just for a better iPhone interface!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.