Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm sure it's a nice computer, but not being able to choose dual Xeons is just wrong for a workstation. I guess all of us who waited and waited, and eventually went over to Win/Linux, certainly won't be coming back because of that fact.

Long term there is good chance many will. Two major factors.

a. The same forces adding more cores to duals are adding them to singles. For the Xeon E5 class it is essentially the same product in both cases. The E5 v3 is probably going to cap out around 15. v4-v5 around 20.

Throw on top GPGPU solutions getting more "general purpose" abilities over next couple of generations and there are going to be gobs of cores available with just one CPU package in a system.

At some point workstations get in to the "fast enough" for a healthy large fraction of users the same way the overall PC market is starting to experience that.

b. Even if don't need cores but pointing at max RAM configs. Again Moorse's Law is pushing so that can be affordable in a smaller number of DIMMs. Despite Apple's marketing 'tech specs' ( more like apple store configuration page in a more flat text format), the new ones probably top out at 128GB with 32GB DIMMs. A couple generations down the road that will be higher.

Sure there will be a set of folks who have high requirements for 512GB of RAM but their numbers aren't that relatively high and not particularly growing. ( barring some new broadly relevant 'killer app' in that space. )

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I am sure someone will eventually make an enclosure that will be designed in such a way that will allow the Mac Pro to sit securely on top of it. Of course, you will still need a cable to connect the drive to one of the Thunderbolt ports. The good news is that the total size will still be less than half the size of the previous MacPro model.

It would probably look like this, but in glossy black plastic.

300px-SamEagle.jpg

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't think he meant a "boutique" as in a clothing store; rather, I expect he meant small, niche graphics and VFX shops.

Exactly.

Same here, I would prefer to see something with more CPU and less graphics. And a version with less CPU (core i7) and a GTX 780.

I'd just like to see some Nvidia options personally.

It comes apart pretty easily.

Totally apart though. The design is so custom that I doubt we'll be able to go in and remove anything other than RAM and the PCIeSSD, but it'd be interesting to see how much one could remove even with a host of tools.

I hope Apple didn't use massive amounts of thermal paste, glue, and tape on this guy.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
At this price I wonder if there will be any sites able to show a 'tear-down' of the Mac Pro.

Dude that would be brutal. I just don't know if the clicks would be worth it if you couldn't get the thing back together. iFixit I guess will have the cash to do it, but no one else would be my guess. Though you can take some of it apart so you can at least show the guts without doing damage.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I'm looking forward to seeing some real-work setups with the new Mac Pro - there's been so much talk about the lack of internal expandability and the need to daisy-chain a zillion peripherals and storage solutions to the central computer.

I'm curious to know if this will be the case (i.e., the Mac Pro surrounded by dozens of messy cables and enclosures), or whether everything that is needed is really under the hood.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Dude that would be brutal. I just don't know if the clicks would be worth it if you couldn't get the thing back together. iFixit I guess will have the cash to do it, but no one else would be my guess. Though you can take some of it apart so you can at least show the guts without doing damage.

Maybe not, it would be like a Mac Mini tear-up. Easy to take apart and put back together.
Certainly I don't expect to find any glue or glass, like the inside of an iPad or iPhone

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Actually the Apple MacII is 33 years ago.

I guess you're actually referring to the Apple II. My first Apple product was the Apple IIc and the Apple 9-11 dot matrix printer in 1983. Bought my first Mac in 1984 and been with them every since.

Now that most everything is being pushed to the cloud/server I'm having second thoughts on a full-blown Mac Pro. I may well be able to get away with a Mac Mini with a Sonnet PCI/e interconnect rack-mounted arrangement. Anyway, I'm on my second cup of coffee and thought I would chime in. Peace out! :)

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Great, beautiful new (Thunderbolt 2) enabled MacPro.....and OLD Thunderbolt display....

Jeez Apple just loves making us wait....

I've been waiting on a new TB Display since early spring; went from want to need after (ironically) a nearby lightning strike in late July damaged my 2011 Thunderbolt Display. It's still usable, but there's some visible damage when the display is powered on. The company I work for said they'd buy me a new one, but I asked to bank that purchase order for a bit since I was *certain* new TB Displays were coming out "any day now".

And here we are, December, and still nothing.

For the hell of it, I wrote Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com) an email asking him whether our company should just get Asus or Sharp monitors since Apple has apparently stopped producing displays. It's been 830ish days since the TB display was refreshed. #angrymacuser

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I don't want Apple to rush anything to market before it's ready, but I can't get rid of the feeling, that more often than not Apple is delaying things purely because they can, because they think primarily about milking money as much as possible and not about advancing technology faster. Only fast enough. They are definitely not "hungry" anymore. :(
lol, seriously?! mac pro profits are a rounding error to Apple (and a very small one at that). they can sell them at cost and it still would make no difference to their overall profits.

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)
Yes, looks that way. and given the timing it's pretty clear that nothing will ship before Christmas. They really pushed it back as far as they could. I really wonder what the hold up is. I thought it might be a new display but it doesn't look that way. some production issues? I can't imagine what kind. It's not like they need to produce these things in large numbers.

I think it may be the fact its being assembled it the US and you just don't get the far-east efficiency on deadlines :D:D

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
And that would cost $4,000-10,000?!

No, $3,000-$10,000.

But so what? If it shaves a few minutes a day off your renders, you can do more work and take on more clients.

If the choice is between a loaded rMBP or a $3000 or $4000 rMBP, that cost difference could easily be justified.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
$3,000 is a good price point and a perfect format for a larger, more powerful Mac Mini alternative.
I do think that a Pro machine needs to be able to house a RAID of 5 drives inside. It does not make a lot of sense to have to buy an external tower for safe data storage.
I think that new Mac Pro needed to be a more compact version of the old machine.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I think it may be the fact its being assembled it the US and you just don't get the far-east efficiency on deadlines :D:D

lol, that would be funny but I don't think it's anything like that. Until today I thought that they are delaying because they wanted to start selling a new display at the same time with the Mac Pros but from the announcement it's pretty clear that this is not happening. So I've got to think there were some component supply or design issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.