Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Anyone think those ugly looking breaks may not just be antennas? Maybe they're heart rate monitors or something that works together with the iwatch....

Last edited:

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
We see all these pictures, back covers ect.... of the 4.7 model, but none of the supposed 5.5 model---are we certain there will be a 5.5 in Sept along with the 4.7 release, for me I sure Hope we do, as we know the battery issue has been fixed, so where are the Picture leaks?

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
1mm thinner means much less volume.. if the device is 1mm taller and 1mm wider but if it is 1mm thinner, the volume of the device will be much less.. I don't have the actual specs but it seems that the 5s is more volumous than the 6 (guessing)
But it's a lot taller and wider than it is thinner

kdarling

macrumors P6
see what happens when you choose to listen to the public instead of continuing making the products you've been for years

This doesn't look like they were listening to the public.

It's more like Apple has no one powerful enough to veto Jon Ive any more.

you get this samsung-****-looking-ugly-phone

Wrong manufacturer. This design looks like a weird copy of an HTC One.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Well, since that feature is about as useful as tits on a nun, why not?

Really? I haven't used it but I know I never (I should say extremely rarely) use my flash on my iPhone 5 because it doesn't seem very good. I had hoped the dual flash made it worth using. Have you used it very much on the 5S then?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
There can be no fathomable reason to 'illuminate' the Apple logo on the back of the phone when 99% of the world's population use cases that render this 'feature' moot.

Many cases have holes to showcase Apple logo. If Apple illuminated it, every case would have this feature,

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
This doesn't look like they were listening to the public.

It's more like Apple has no one powerful enough to veto Jon Ive any more.

Wrong manufacturer. This design looks like a weird copy of an HTC One.

the screen size increase is definitely public-influenced in my opinion

the rounded edges seem to be more samsung than htc

kdarling

macrumors P6
the screen size increase is definitely public-influenced in my opinion

Agreed.

the rounded edges seem to be more samsung than htc

Okay. I was thinking more about how the antenna insulators are so HTC :)

That said, I'm in the group who thinks that Apple might put some kind of covering over the back that hides those huge stripes.

I'd like to see a sapphire front, a grippy back, and some waterproofing.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Fanboi!!

Well, almost. I am typing this on a RMBP. I have an Ipad Air, Imac, MacMini, Apple Tv, etc, but I recently jettisoned my 5S for an LG G2, soon to be replaced by a G3. The Apple design for 6 model seems dated and not very attractive to me. I never did use the fingerprint mode on my 5S. The 5S was a good phone, but I am really liking the larger screen on the G2 and the wireless charging. It seems like Apple is really compromising screen resolution due to the IveEffect of thinness. Right now, you can't have really thin ( thin battery) and super resolution. The bezels on the renders make the phone look ancient in mobilephone history. The G2 looks sleek and modern. I hope Apple starts to wake up.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Agreed.

Okay. I was thinking more about how the antenna insulators are so HTC :)

That said, I'm in the group who thinks that Apple might put some kind of covering over the back that hides those huge stripes.

I'd like to see a sapphire front, a grippy back, and some waterproofing.

i like the waterproofing but for me the glass/smooth feel of the back is what i prefer

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Well, almost. I am typing this on a RMBP. I have an Ipad Air, Imac, MacMini, Apple Tv, etc, but I recently jettisoned my 5S for an LG G2, soon to be replaced by a G3. The Apple design for 6 model seems dated and not very attractive to me. I never did use the fingerprint mode on my 5S. The 5S was a good phone, but I am really liking the larger screen on the G2 and the wireless charging. It seems like Apple is really compromising screen resolution due to the IveEffect of thinness. Right now, you can't have really thin ( thin battery) and super resolution. The bezels on the renders make the phone look ancient in mobilephone history. The G2 looks sleek and modern. I hope Apple starts to wake up.

Bezels look better on some renders/dummy units than others. More signs point to them being smaller than the 5S which should be pretty similar to other android flagships. Unfortunately it will probably always be taller as long as Apple keeps the home button (similar to how the HTC one is limited by the speakers). As for resolution, the rumored 1704 x 960 @ 416ppi sounds good enough for me. Super resolutions sound great, but not if there is a negligible difference at the cost of battery life (see arstechnica battery tests on the G3). A thinner, lighter device is nice for portability but hopefully the extra size for the battery will give it a nice bump without being negated by the new screen. iPhones don't have the best battery life, but they are above average, especially for the battery capacity.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
There's a bit of a saying in the design world that it's simple to design something complicated, but really complicated to design something simple. Generally, Apple doesn't get a lot of respect from your average Joe who doesn't understand design when they look at something they've made and say "It's a plain looking rounded rectangle". Of course this is what the rest of us appreciate. The lack of complication, and the simple, subtle, but striking designs we always get.

This design isn't simple, it's not subtle, it's not striking. It's busy in all the wrong ways. It's ugly.

I must say I really trust them designwise... they never disappointed me and having not seen the product in all its glory I think it's a mistake to judge it now. I was really sceptical when I first saw the photos that leaked for the iPhone 5 and it turned out it's one of the best design I've ever seen. Now I can understand this one looks a bit weird, but to me I find it original, a bit surprising and I think that's what I love about them :)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Everybody is going wild over this mock up made with a new fangled plastic copy machine thing as if it might possibly be even a little bit maybe true?
Really?
Hurry up Apple and get me a 4.7 phone!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.