Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
What alternatives are there to iTunes for encoding audio to ALAC?

I recently used iTunes to convert some AIFF files to ALAC and discovered that iTunes didn't pass on the following tags: Arranger, Catalog Number, Media, Part, Publisher, Release Country, and Remixer. So I would like to try some alternative ALAC encoders that preserve all the tags from the source file.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What alternatives are there to iTunes for encoding audio to ALAC?

I recently used iTunes to convert some AIFF files to ALAC and discovered that iTunes didn't pass on the following tags: Arranger, Catalog Number, Media, Part, Publisher, Release Country, and Remixer. So I would like to try some alternative ALAC encoders that preserve all the tags from the source file.

Are those tags actually inside the file? Maybe they are in the iTunes database?

I strongly suspect that EVERY encoder simply uses Apple Core Audio API to do the encoding. I can't imagine someone re-mplementing it themselves.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
The only alternative I know of is XLD. But I have no idea if it will preserve that data- there aren't fields for it in the Metadata editor, so it sounds like what you want is actually stored in the iTunes media database rather then the file itself.

-SC

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Are those tags actually inside the file? Maybe they are in the iTunes database?

I strongly suspect that EVERY encoder simply uses Apple Core Audio API to do the encoding. I can't imagine someone re-mplementing it themselves.

I put the tags into the AIFF using Kid3 tag editor.

I have no issue with the encoding, it is the dropping of tags that I have issue with. I could use a tag editor like Kid3 to put the missing tags back, but that seems more laborious than just using an encoder that passes on all the tags in the first place

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
The only alternative I know of is XLD. But I have no idea if it will preserve that data- there aren't fields for it in the Metadata editor, so it sounds like what you want is actually stored in the iTunes media database rather then the file itself.

-SC

Just tried XLD -- it actually stripped *all* the tags, not just the ones iTunes stripped. Here's a before and after XLD (AIFF and ALAC) of tags as Kid3 tag editor sees them:

Screen+Shot+2013-09-14+at+10.45.32+AM.jpg

And here's what iTunes leaves (missing Arranger, Catalog Number, Media, Part, Publisher, Release Country, and Remixer):

Screen+Shot+2013-09-14+at+10.51.58+AM.jpg

So I'm still open to suggestions for alternative ALAC encoding apps.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Just tried XLD -- it actually stripped *all* the tags, not just the ones iTunes stripped.

I would make sure you have checked the "Add tags to output files if possible" checked in the Metadata option in its preferences, I have used it for literally tens of thousands of files and it has never failed to add the tags.

otomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
I would make sure you have checked the "Add tags to output files if possible" checked in the Metadata option in its preferences, I have used it for literally tens of thousands of files and it has never failed to add the tags.

"Add tags to output files if possible" is checked. Maybe XLD doesn't like AIFF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.