Alternative To .Mac/iDisk (Preferably Free)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elisha cuthbert, Jul 25, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Feb 25, 2006
    Hello, i was just wondering if there was an similar thing to an idisk from another provider?
    Any help greatly appreciated
  2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    iDisk is proprietary; however, if you just need storage space, then any service provider can help you. Only that you'll need to access via FTP client and not being able to use iDisk.

Should anyone know another idisk-compatible service than dotmac, I'd be interested to even pay a little. $99/year is too much, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be free.
  3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    well for storage theirs 25 gigabytes of space free but, you can only download 100mb of stuff. pay money and you can get larger space and transfer.

also gives you free 1 gigabyte storage, unlimited download (well their comparison to their paid services says n/a so i guess unlimited). pay more for more storage. and with uneasy silence gives you a guide to may make it work like an idisk minus the software. like the back up and virus scanner. and here is the link to that.
  4. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    I wonder if part of the problem is that most hosting companies advertise their fees per month and .Mac is marketed by yearly cost. If Apple were to say that .Mac costs as little as $8.25/month, I bet it would change a number of people's perception.
  5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    id rather pay $10 dollars a month than $99 a year. much easier on the old pocketbook. :)
  6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm pretty sure that iDisk is basic WebDAV, which is very standardized.
  7. eji macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2004
    Inland Empire
    I think if you wait a while, you might see Google offer something along the lines of iDisk, as in, online storage space with an upload/download client and/or Finder/Explorer integration.

In the meantime, if you have a Gmail account, there's a great freeware app called gDisk that uses the 2+GB of your Gmail account as online storage. The files are saved as labeled drafts, so you can download them from anywhere.
  8. eji macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2004
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for the link and the Uneasy Silence guide... I personally might try using this as a supplement to iDisk, not a replacement.
  9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Or if you have a Mac at home, permenatly connected to the internet via a broadband connection, you can access all those documents with a password if you set it up correctly from anywhere in the world.

Just go into System Preferences > Sharing > Enable FTP access.

It will give you an internet address (an IP address probably) and you can type that in anywhere in the world and it will ask you for a Password and Username (as long as your Mac is password protected).
  10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    For what it's worth, you can usually find .Mac subscriptions on Ebay for $69 rather than $99, and for me that makes it much more accessible as well.
  11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    Even less. I just bought 1 with shipping for $34. And I saw a family pack on a buy-it-now auction for $65 shipped. That was a heck of a deal, but I didn't need 5 accounts.
  12. guttyguppy macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2006
    Gdisk doesn't work for some

No one really knows why
  13. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    i use MAMP (an http server) and then just password protect my site, and change the default apache indexes. i can upload via ftp because i run pure ftpd on the machine with mamp. this works great.
  14. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2006
    Forest Hills, NY
    someone should make a gDisk for the new AOL mail. 5 gigs!

also with, 25 gigs kinda sounds like enough to use in conjunction with something like say.. time machine? i just don't know about the 100mb per month dealie.
  15. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    Just remember with the free account on, you can only upload files that are less than 10 MB big. Bit of an inconvenience, but hey, it's free. Another thing about is if you use their web interface, you will see all the .DS_Store files that tag along with the files you upload from OS X. I'm sure programs like Blue Harvest or scripts, etc., can take care of this though.

I use both iDisk (at ebay prices) and
  16. higgalls macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2008
    EDIT: Sorry - saw that this thread is 2 years old :(