Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
iDisk is proprietary; however, if you just need storage space, then any service provider can help you. Only that you'll need to access via FTP client and not being able to use iDisk.

Should anyone know another idisk-compatible service than dotmac, I'd be interested to even pay a little. $99/year is too much, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be free.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
well for storage theirs http://www.streamload.com/ 25 gigabytes of space free but, you can only download 100mb of stuff. pay money and you can get larger space and transfer.

also http://box.net/ gives you free 1 gigabyte storage, unlimited download (well their comparison to their paid services says n/a so i guess unlimited). pay more for more storage. and with box.net uneasy silence gives you a guide to may make it work like an idisk minus the software. like the back up and virus scanner. and here is the link to that. http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/05/6433/

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
JFreak said:
Should anyone know another idisk-compatible service than dotmac, I'd be interested to even pay a little. $99/year is too much, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be free.

I wonder if part of the problem is that most hosting companies advertise their fees per month and .Mac is marketed by yearly cost. If Apple were to say that .Mac costs as little as $8.25/month, I bet it would change a number of people's perception.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I think if you wait a while, you might see Google offer something along the lines of iDisk, as in, online storage space with an upload/download client and/or Finder/Explorer integration.

In the meantime, if you have a Gmail account, there's a great freeware app called gDisk that uses the 2+GB of your Gmail account as online storage. The files are saved as labeled drafts, so you can download them from anywhere.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Rokem said:
also http://box.net/ gives you free 1 gigabyte storage, unlimited download (well their comparison to their paid services says n/a so i guess unlimited).

Thanks for the Box.net link and the Uneasy Silence guide... I personally might try using this as a supplement to iDisk, not a replacement.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Or if you have a Mac at home, permenatly connected to the internet via a broadband connection, you can access all those documents with a password if you set it up correctly from anywhere in the world.

Just go into System Preferences > Sharing > Enable FTP access.

It will give you an internet address (an IP address probably) and you can type that in anywhere in the world and it will ask you for a Password and Username (as long as your Mac is password protected).

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
dejo said:
I wonder if part of the problem is that most hosting companies advertise their fees per month and .Mac is marketed by yearly cost. If Apple were to say that .Mac costs as little as $8.25/month, I bet it would change a number of people's perception.

For what it's worth, you can usually find .Mac subscriptions on Ebay for $69 rather than $99, and for me that makes it much more accessible as well.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
gauchogolfer said:
For what it's worth, you can usually find .Mac subscriptions on Ebay for $69 rather than $99, and for me that makes it much more accessible as well.

Even less. I just bought 1 with shipping for $34. And I saw a family pack on a buy-it-now auction for $65 shipped. That was a heck of a deal, but I didn't need 5 accounts.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
i use MAMP (an http server) and then just password protect my site, and change the default apache indexes. i can upload via ftp because i run pure ftpd on the machine with mamp. this works great.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
someone should make a gDisk for the new AOL mail. 5 gigs!

also with streamload.com, 25 gigs kinda sounds like enough to use in conjunction with something like say.. time machine? i just don't know about the 100mb per month dealie.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Just remember with the free account on box.net, you can only upload files that are less than 10 MB big. Bit of an inconvenience, but hey, it's free. Another thing about box.net is if you use their web interface, you will see all the .DS_Store files that tag along with the files you upload from OS X. I'm sure programs like Blue Harvest or scripts, etc., can take care of this though.

I use both iDisk (at ebay prices) and box.net.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.