Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KadirOrcun

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
I guess the music apps are broken due to 8.4.1... None of them are working properly. Even the ones that used to work. I guess we will have to wait for ios 9

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for starting this, I've tried Picky and it works fine, but I don't use it or any alternate player for this reason:

I have yet to find a 3rd party player that can apply song rating, such that the rating is synced from my device back to my iTunes library. I rate all my music to help steer the content of my playlists and what is synced to my devices, so being able new music is critical.

Do any of these allow you to rate songs? Or, is the song rating feature something that is sandboxed by Apple?

Cesium 3.2 should drop any day and brings rating support ;)

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Cesium 3.2 should drop any day now. It brings:

- Ratings support
- In-app volume control
- Much improved progress ring control
- "Go to album" for currently playing track
- A>B Repeat

Note: This version also removes last.fm support. At the moment, issues within Cs and with last.fm (if you use it, you know) make testing and supporting it pretty much impossible for me. Hopefully this is temporary, I look forward to re-adding as soon as it can be implemented reliably.

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I can vouch for the update.
Any plans for 3D touch integration?

Not specifically. It's interesting. Problem is that as an indie dev as small as myself a shiny new 6S is out of the budget, so it would be difficult to test. Any recommendations for a behaviour or function that seems like a natural fit for it?

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Not specifically. It's interesting. Problem is that as an indie dev as small as myself a shiny new 6S is out of the budget, so it would be difficult to test. Any recommendations for a behaviour or function that seems like a natural fit for it?
Good question- perhaps shuffling or playing a set playlist?

ArkMCdev

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
MyAudioStream can be also added here to the list:
streaming from various servers by creating and collecting your own Music Library!

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Can anyone tell me which one supports Apple Music and built-in EQ? I got Ecoute but no EQ that I can find of?

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Most of the third party players (Ecoute, Cesium, Picky for sure) utilize the iOS systemPlayer. That means that they can't affect audio directly (through in-app EQ), however they are compatible with the system EQ, so any of the options in Settings > Music should work.

As far as Apple Music, Apple hasn't made the API public, so no one can access the cloud to search/stream the Apple Music library. Cesium supports playback of Apple Music content that has been added to "My Music," whether it is stored on the device or in the cloud. I suspect Ecoute and Picky do as well.

Is there any free Music app that basically replicates whatever the Music app was in one of the much earlier iOS versions?

Whatever they did to it in iOS 9 or 8.4 or whatever, it's awful. It doesn't work the way I expect. It just pisses me off and then I want to throw the phone against a wall, but I can't afford to do that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Added VOX after it got mentioned by @CliftonHighgrov in another thread. I'm sure it'll get another price cut again soon, they've been playing with the price these last few months after keeping it free for all of last year.

Cesium just got updated the other day with multi-genre support (not sure how that's even manageable in iTunes though with that small of field...), and Playlist Favorites (much needed IMO).

As always, if you're using something that isn't on the list right now, feel free to add it, just remember we're focused on alternatives that deal primarily with local music that we already own.

The iTunes Store throws up an error when I specifically use the search terms "iOS 6 Music" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: IronWaffle

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Cesium just got updated the other day with multi-genre support (not sure how that's even manageable in iTunes though with that small of field...), and Playlist Favorites (much needed IMO).

So, here's how multi-genre support works:

In iTunes (and music.app) if you had an album (Album X) tagged "Alternative" and Album Y tagged "Alternative, Rock" and Album Z tagged "Rock", then your genres view would look like this:
Alternative > Album X
Alternative, Rock > Album Y
Rock > Album Z

Cesium detects multiple genres in the Genre field (marked by commas or semi-colons) and automatically sorts and groups accordingly. So the above example would look like this:
Alternative > Album X, Album Y
Rock > Album Y, Album Z

This will have the side affect of potentially complicating your Genres in iTunes on the desktop. But if you don't use the desktop much (or don't use genres for browsing on the desktop) it can be quite helpful! And if you don't tag multiple genres in the field, everything works and looks exactly the same as before :)
[doublepost=1458422875][/doublepost]
Is there any app that mimics the iOS 6 design? Lagu is not available in the US store.

I think it would be fair to say that Cesium is currently recognized as the most "iOS 6-ish" of the currently available players. But Picky is also a strong contender.

Reactions: Jessica Lares

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Hi CesiumDev,
I like the Cesium app except for one big thing: the circular scrubber - most of the time, when I am scrolling on circular scrubber, it pulls down the now playing songs screen.. it's very inconvenient. Looks pretty but not practical at all.
Could you please add a linear scrubber.. that would make the app a very good replacement of the stock pre-ios 9.2 music app.

So, here's how multi-genre support works:

In iTunes (and music.app) if you had an album (Album X) tagged "Alternative" and Album Y tagged "Alternative, Rock" and Album Z tagged "Rock", then your genres view would look like this:
Alternative > Album X
Alternative, Rock > Album Y
Rock > Album Z

Cesium detects multiple genres in the Genre field (marked by commas or semi-colons) and automatically sorts and groups accordingly. So the above example would look like this:
Alternative > Album X, Album Y
Rock > Album Y, Album Z

This will have the side affect of potentially complicating your Genres in iTunes on the desktop. But if you don't use the desktop much (or don't use genres for browsing on the desktop) it can be quite helpful! And if you don't tag multiple genres in the field, everything works and looks exactly the same as before :)
[doublepost=1458422875][/doublepost]

I think it would be fair to say that Cesium is currently recognized as the most "iOS 6-ish" of the currently available players. But Picky is also a strong contender.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Added multiple genres to a few things in my library yesterday, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be as the field expands as the text gets longer. It works nice in the app.

Can you explain what Shuffle by Grouping is @CesiumDev? I tried it, but didn't understand how it worked in comparison to regular shuffling.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Just had an update for Marvis show up on my iPod - Finally the Last.fm support a lot of people wanted, with the ability to fetch artist pictures from there for the Artist view - or let you set custom ones from stuff in your photos, it can now group stuff into albums in playlists, be set to prefer liked and highly rated stuff when shuffling, can automatically turn off the display when the proximity sensor is covered, can sort by date added, and has some new gestures.

I did specifically ask for album grouping in playlists, which now two of the third-party players support. Amazing. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Aditya Rajveer

CesiumDev

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Added multiple genres to a few things in my library yesterday, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be as the field expands as the text gets longer. It works nice in the app.

Can you explain what Shuffle by Grouping is @CesiumDev? I tried it, but didn't understand how it worked in comparison to regular shuffling.

No problem Jessica! It's actually just the same as the "Shuffle by Grouping" option in iTunes itself. It means that when shuffling songs, tracks that share the same album tag and the same grouping tag will be kept together. So, for instance a classical piece or program rock suite spanning multiple tracks would play in full before the next randomized track.

So, if you don't use the grouping tag it won't have any effect. If you are like me and all your tracks have a grouping tag (ie. Studio album, Live album, Soundtrack, etc) it's going to generate pretty much the same result as album shuffling.

Does that make sense? Thanks for keeping this thread up to date!
[doublepost=1459113432][/doublepost]
Hi CesiumDev,
I like the Cesium app except for one big thing: the circular scrubber - most of the time, when I am scrolling on circular scrubber, it pulls down the now playing songs screen.. it's very inconvenient. Looks pretty but not practical at all.
Could you please add a linear scrubber.. that would make the app a very good replacement of the stock pre-ios 9.2 music app.

Yeah, that one is controversial. I'm debating between adding a "Classic" option and just overhauling into something entirely new (with usability and innovation as priorities).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
@CesiumDev Yeah, that's pretty much what confused me. I use the grouping tag for all my tracks exactly like that and it was just shuffling albums. Good to know.

And no problem. :cool:

I don't ever use the scrubber, but the way the buttons are at the bottom is very nice.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Cesium got updated with the new Now Playing screen today. :) (Hope people aren't giving you a hard time with that!)

I just spent 10 minutes looking for the new Clock Mode which you get to by going into landscape and clicking the clock icon. Very nice.

screen322x572.jpeg

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
@CesiumDev Thanks, the new update finally has the linear progress bar, however now the volume control is vertical bar. From the usability perspective, it would be really good to have a horizontal bar for the volume control just as the progress bar and also always visible, that would avoid unnecessary click for adjusting the volume.
While listening to many sound tracks having different volume levels, the volume control is very much essential to be always visible.
Simplicity of the UI requiring few clicks, swipes makes the app more pleasing to use. While Cesium app lays out Songs, Albums, Artists, Genre tabs on the bottom bar (just as in pre-iOS 9.2 Apple Music app), the Now playing screen looks inconsistent - horizontal progress bar and vertical volume bar which pops out after having to cliick.

If this issue is addressed, Cesium app will be the go-to app and find a place on the dock, but until then, there are still few nicks which needs to be polished.

[QUOTE="CesiumDev, [/QUOTE]

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Latest Cesium update adds 3D Touch shortcuts/peek & pop, and URL Schemes :D.

Oh yeah, and for those running the iOS 10 beta, you can't delete the Music app and run a third-party music app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.