Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Here are the pictures that i promised this thread. As i mentioned, our cases are designed DIFFERNTLY then the other so mentioned cases. We did a lot of testing. Inside is also lined with non conductive materials which do not cause any reception problems. I give props to Elementcase. They did a great job with the case, but we went further into fixing their flaws in design. These pictures are raw images and have not been edited except to make them smaller to post online. I even took used 2 of our phones, next to 1 non cased. I only could get 2 phones to get the speedtest because he didn't have his itunes account to get the app currently when he came.

when you have a chance, please post some close-up shots of the top,bottom and the edges .
thanks

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
pictures look awesome!

btw you never addressed my concern about the large logo. Any chance I could pay extra to have a smaller logo or something less blatant?

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Are you based in Wichita? Or somewhere in Kansas?
I just wanted to show you some of the other designs too... we might release this one too.:D In our new design we made the holes a lot bigger so it was easier to push the buttons and removed the screws on the side.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
As promised, i just quickly made a video with our case and compared it to one without. I live in the hills so the reception is already bad, but both phones are pretty much identical. I am not sure if i can post it here... cuz i got warned in putting a website as advertising. So you guys should know where to find it.

The logo is not very big, and barely noticeable. It is a ghost logo where the color is camouflages the logo. The case looks much better with the logo in our opinion so i think at this time, we will offer it without a logo.

At this time we will not offer the color orange, but may offer it in a limited edition run.

I am not located in Kansas, the speed test auto tested that way.
I just saw the video. Nice work to you and your team on this case.

I see you're using iWeb for the site, might not be a good idea for a business.
it might not be the best but it's not bad

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I just wanted to show you some of the other designs too... we might release this one too.:D In our new design we made the holes a lot bigger so it was easier to push the buttons and removed the screws on the side.

Even with the larger cut-outs I still highly reccomend machining a button for the sleep/wake area...that cutout is deep and not very user friendly...the cases look good though. I also agree on using a scew head like torx rather than a plain simple phillips

yezzimbakk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Even with the larger cut-outs I still highly reccomend machining a button for the sleep/wake area...that cutout is deep and not very user friendly...the cases look good though. I also agree on using a scew head like torx rather than a plain simple phillips

agreed. its prolly too much trouble for them to design a button so they dnt want to. its the only thing detering me from buying this case atm. everything else is good.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
agreed. its prolly too much trouble for them to design a button so they dnt want to. its the only thing detering me from buying this case atm. everything else is good.

I agree. I just watched the video and get a kick out of the "months and months of testing".

Give me a break. Until Element announced their case, no one even thought of aluminum, and all that are suddenly popping up are certainly not spending months of testing. Obviously there is a market for a "cool" looking case whether it hurts the signal or not.

I guess anyone who has access to a machine shop can start making these. I agree that the vapor case looks great, and it looks much better than atomic or alumacase, but can't a case be made to look exactly the same as a vapor, but made out of plastic?

I just don't understand the frenzy over these aluminum cases that will scratch and dent easily. To each his own I guess.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I agree. I just watched the video and get a kick out of the "months and months of testing".

Give me a break. Until Element announced their case, no one even thought of aluminum, and all that are suddenly popping up are certainly not spending months of testing. Obviously there is a market for a "cool" looking case whether it hurts the signal or not.
I agree. I even think it's funny that in the Atomic case, a certain "enthusiastic" poster mentioned that Atomic case has been working on this design at least as long as Element...yet the Atomic case mirrors the exact same design (same "grip" style on the same side, same screw together design attaching from the same side) as the Vapor, which came out far earlier (and the Element Vapor render pics were released not too long after the release of the iPhone 4 itself).

I guess anyone who has access to a machine shop can start making these. I agree that the vapor case looks great, and it looks much better than atomic or alumacase, but can't a case be made to look exactly the same as a vapor, but made out of plastic?
I've wondered the same thing. A material like Delrin could be used I think. I've seen my father work with it and you can machine it on a CNC just like aluminum. Don't know how easy it'd be to make it be able to be screwed together, however. I think threads in the plastic would strip very easily. Maybe a threaded metal insert in the plastic?

I just don't understand the frenzy over these aluminum cases that will scratch and dent easily. To each his own I guess.
Then again, who would design an entire phone out of glass that can shatter when dropped? :)apple:) :D

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010

I like this design better. it shows off the metal mechanic of the case and sets it apart from other common plastic bumpers...that's why we are here in the first place:for something high-end thats unique and different.

yezzimbakk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for all the compliments about my age... but I assure you i was born in the 70s! I look young too :D I am a University graduate, with over 10yrs of experience of another very successful business. But i am young at heart, with a passion for design and luxury style.

As you can see from some other designs as well, we did do alot of testing. From different materials, and designs. We have made a case in pure forged carbon fiber. There is only one of these which my partner has, with a different design. Only thing is that the material cost is too expensive to retail as of now. You will see in the next few weeks, that we have a different motto. Our cases will be high end, with precious stones and precious metals but are only suitable to the exclusive.

After all of the bad publicity of ElementCase, i still give them much credit. What people dont understand it's not easy. Designing, Testing and Quality control. Machining a product, does cost a lot, initial engineering and rendering. What most don't realize is that machining in the USA costs alot. And it takes along time to machine each and individual case and it takes machine time and labor which is expensive. The more cuts you see and the more intricate the design is, the more time and expensive it is to make. Each Elementcase, i can tell you has spent lots of time on the machine, and a they used quality a manufacturer. Element is spending a lot of time on other things to make a great product and doesn't have time or the man power to respond to emails or pick up calls. I can assure you that it's that he doesnt want to repsond, but its time that they have, its a lot of work. It also takes time to be interactive with the community as i have.

For Alumacase, we have learned where Element has failed, and we will put our customers first, and have if not a better product. Our customer service will be top notch, as our products. Now back to work again.. LOL

sorry for stating the obvious... but holy crap you sound young! all good though, you sound mature enough. nice work on the case by the way, even though i dont have one yet the customer service is quite obviously quite good which is almost half as important as the product for me and many others.

zornet

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for all the compliments about my age... but I assure you i was born in the 70s! I look young too :D I am a University graduate, with over 10yrs of experience of another very successful business. But i am young at heart, with a passion for design and luxury style.

As you can see from some other designs as well, we did do alot of testing. From different materials, and designs. We have made a case in pure forged carbon fiber. There is only one of these which my partner has, with a different design. Only thing is that the material cost is too expensive to retail as of now. You will see in the next few weeks, that we have a different motto. Our cases will be high end, with precious stones and precious metals but are only suitable to the exclusive.

After all of the bad publicity of ElementCase, i still give them much credit. What people dont understand it's not easy. Designing, Testing and Quality control. Machining a product, does cost a lot, initial engineering and rendering. What most don't realize is that machining in the USA costs alot. And it takes along time to machine each and individual case and it takes machine time and labor which is expensive. The more cuts you see and the more intricate the design is, the more time and expensive it is to make. Each Elementcase, i can tell you has spent lots of time on the machine, and a they used quality a manufacturer. Element is spending a lot of time on other things to make a great product and doesn't have time or the man power to respond to emails or pick up calls. I can assure you that it's that he doesnt want to repsond, but its time that they have, its a lot of work. It also takes time to be interactive with the community as i have.

For Alumacase, we have learned where Element has failed, and we will put our customers first, and have if not a better product. Our customer service will be top notch, as our products. Now back to work again.. LOL
You most definitely have our attention with your Alumacase and attitude, GOOD luck :).

shadowarachh

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
im kinda thinking the delring idea with threaded inserts might be a good avenue to explore.

also that sleep wake cutout isn't going to be very user friendly. i use mine constantly. i hold my phone with my right and use my index finger hooked over the top/rear of the phone to tap it. no way you can do that if as easy when you have to poke your fingertip in that indention, sorry.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
im kinda thinking the delring idea with threaded inserts might be a good avenue to explore.
Yeah. I've thought about it a lot since the Vapor came out. If my father wasn't retired, I'd have him make me up a test case in Delrin to try. But from what I know of the material, I'm afraid it'd be too brittle where the case would get thin in front/back of the dock connector. One drop and it might be toast.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
As promised, i just quickly made a video with our case and compared it to one without. I live in the hills so the reception is already bad, but both phones are pretty much identical. I am not sure if i can post it here... cuz i got warned in putting a website as advertising. So you guys should know where to find it.

The logo is not very big, and barely noticeable. It is a ghost logo where the color is camouflages the logo. The case looks much better with the logo in our opinion so i think at this time, we will offer it without a logo.

At this time we will not offer the color orange, but may offer it in a limited edition run.

I am not located in Kansas, the speed test auto tested that way.

I might be misunderstanding here, but should a reception issue be happening when we touch the case or when we hold the case? So when you just put the case on the phone, it shouldn't change the reception much, but when you hold it, the aluminum disperses the signal along the aluminum and no matter where we hold it, it our hands will absorb some of the signal??? Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'd appreciate some clarification. Thanks for the video, great looking case so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.