Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
-Escher- said:
Nope...I need a computer right ways when I get back.....

What will you use the computer for? Since you're in such a situation, the Powerbook G4 might be an acceptable solution. See if they have any special deals.

Dr. J

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
Tough call, but I would not hesitate to buy the powerbook. I have the newest version and I love it. It is more computer than I need and I use it for the same applications that you stated. I saved alot of money on mine, and it was worth every penny. If you need the latest and greatest hold out. If you want a good computer that will meet your needs buy a PB.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the PowerBook either. For your needs, it will perform very well. I was in a similar situation, where I had ordered a MacBook Pro the morning it was announced. I needed a computer for school, and couldn't gamble on when the MacBook Pro would be released, and any bugs it could have. I was able to get a 12" PowerBook G4 for a good price, and don't have any regrets about it. The PowerBook, although not as fast as the MacBook Pro, will do everything you need it to do for years to come. It may not have all the bells and whistles that the MBP has, and it's not the newest thing out there right now, but it will work great.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
clayj said:
Some countries make you declare the value of even gifts... I believe the UK does this. And if you lie about the value (for example, say it's $100) and then something happens in transit, you are only covered for the declared value.

As to the original question: No, you're not crazy to buy a G4 PowerBook. The thing will be good for YEARS and it has the distinct advantage of actually being able to run ALL Mac software without emulation... right now, a MacBook Pro is gonna have to use Rosetta for a lot of the non-Apple software you might want to run on it (e.g., Microsoft Office).

The trouble with this line of thinking is:

1) He is not an existing Apple user, so it is not like he has $10,000 worth of "pro apps" (lol, like there is such a thing) still locked down to the PPC platform.

2) A G4 Powerbook is not really cheaper compared to a MBP, in fact I think it is not even discounted at all.

3) Microsoft Office will run faster on Rosetta than a G4 can ever dream of, let's get over it already.

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
I honestly think you will be fine with a slick Powerbook g4. Just know that you are buying a product that was just updated (to the macbook pro), and you are getting the older model (at least it shouldn't have any bugs).

If you can get a Macbook pro somehow tho, get it.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Just go to the Apple store on Friday and buy the best computer available to you. This has been discussed already hasn't it?

polythene pam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
Escher:

If you get the PowerBook on Amazon, there is a mail-in rebate for $200 for the 15" ones. Maybe that will help you make up your mind.

Do you live close to an Apple Store? Cuz then you might get lucky and find a MacBook Pro in stock! Or else, from what you've described, the PB should be fine for your needs. Plus, knowing how expensive Macs are in Brazil, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it in a couple of years and get almost all your money back. And then you can come back to the US and get a MBP Rev B! ;)

Boa sorte e compre mesmo o Mac, e' muuuito melhor do que o windows!

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
This is what makes sense to me. Go to your Apple Store on Friday and buy whatever it is that is the best that they can sell to you at that point. If they don't get the MacBook in by then, then it's fate (just let me pretend that I believe in fate for one second!). Either way, it's a beautiful computer. I really don't think you could go wrong.

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
The PB should be fine for what you want to use it for.

Heck, I have a 12" iBook and it does most of what you want with decent performance.

My other laptop is an HP as well, actually a Compaq 4125CA. From a hardware perspective it has more impressive stats than my iBook for just $100 more, however, the keyboard is not as nice, the optical drive is not as nice, the power supply is not as nice and the overall construction doesn't feel as solid.

For my use, iLife saved me a bit of cash in software.

Don't get me wrong, I like my PC laptop but, after using both, my next laptop will definitely be a Mac.

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
here is the solution

There is only one solution for your "problem" and you already know what it is.

If you do NOT buy now, that's a quite reasonable option since the new
machines are out there (even though you should also consider the software
in this equation) and everybody wants the newest and hottest.

But...there is always a "but"...

I know for a fact that a powerbook costs something around 9000 Reais
(~ US$ 4280.00). Hence if you have the money, you could cry for a while
but the new Macbook could be yours when you get back to Brazil.

If you do NOT have the money (or do not want to pay this crazy
amount of cash), what is the problem about getting the "old"
powerbook ? If you prefer, here is a second thought :
how much would you pay for a "old" powerbook in Brazil ?
4000 Reais ? (US$ 2000)

That's crazy.

I would go ASAP to the closest Apple Store and grab the best I can get.

By the way, be careful at the airport...a friend of mine decided to
get some stuff days before travelling to Brazil (he is Brazilian and
was living here for 5 years) and the custom officers got half of his stuff.
According to what they said he "did not use the laptops in USA".
It sounds like a lottery...

hope it helps.

ted124b

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
You can no longer buy a powerbook 15 g4 at the apple store online...... I see only one solution, Buy a new Macbook Pro, preferably loaded, and I will simply trade you my slightly used powerbook g4, I mean it will be sad to part with but, I'd be willing to help you out :) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.