Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xspaint

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
I had the same problem when I first jail broke 8.1. Battery would go down around 1% every minute.

I did another 8.1 restore, then restored my backup, then jail broke with Pangu and I'm fine now. Try that.

My standby time is fine. its when using it it seems to drain fast. usually get about 2-3 hours of actual usage out of a full charge...should be more like 6-7.

I do think the SMS relay (text forwarding) has something to do with it.

nafizur

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
8.1 not being signed anymore. My friend tried to restore to 8.1 and was not able. Got error 3194; not eligible for request build.

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
How does 8.1 compare to 7.1.2? Any thoughts? Im still at 7.1.2 on my 5s.

If you like your 5s the way it is running 7.1.2 I would leave it alone. Personally I haven't noticed any really huge differences running 8.1 jail broken.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
The fix for that boot loop issue is to jailbreak *after* you restore your old backup and synced files.

There's some type of corruption in your old jailbreaked backup that the new jailbreak fixes. Worked for me on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air.

My iPhone has been working fine since my last restore backup/jailbreak process, as you mentioned.

Last night I risked enabling pass code and it rebooted without any issues. The reboot took a little while and I got scared but it worked fine. TouchID is still off but I'm taking baby steps with it and it's nice having pass code back.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
My iPhone has been working fine since my last restore backup/jailbreak process, as you mentioned.

Last night I risked enabling pass code and it rebooted without any issues. The reboot took a little while and I got scared but it worked fine. TouchID is still off but I'm taking baby steps with it and it's nice having pass code back.

Why doesn't your TouchID work? My new 6 is working perfectly. It's better than when I had my 5s on 7.x.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Sorry, I meant I haven't enabled TouchID yet. Just leaving passcode for now but I don't see why TouchID should cause a problem if pass code is fine. Even so, I'll wait until I'm home in case I do have to restore again!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It does make one wonder if 8.1 being signed is an obvious attempt to usher in more holiday sales for those that are JB-deal breaker inclined.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
It does make one wonder if 8.1 being signed is an obvious attempt to usher in more holiday sales for those that are JB-deal breaker inclined.

Could be Apple changing there ways a little also. Just read an article about them ditching the patent trolling too.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up:
Stay away from TetherMe and PDANet. One of those two are the reason my iPhone got bricked. I was worried I would be forced to 8.1.1 but thankfully they're still signing 8.1.
I'm in the middle of restoring and I noticed a few things:
Even if you use Option+Restore to force an older firmware, get passed signing and start the restore, you have to STAY connected to WiFi because iTunes will periodically check the internet while restoring. It's really stupid. I started the restore, thought "Okay it's loading the firmware now so I can leave this wretched parking lot and start returning to work."
Nope!
As soon as I got out of WiFi range, I got an iTunes error. I don't know exactly why it requires this but I feel like this is a serious software issue.
What if someone is out in a deserted area, their phone bricks and they have to restore it to call 911? No WiFi, I guess you'll be showing up in a news report after they find your dead body. Too bad, should've gotten stranded at a McDonald's.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Stay away from TetherMe and PDANet. One of those two are the reason my iPhone got bricked. I was worried I would be forced to 8.1.1 but thankfully they're still signing 8.1.

Even if you use Option+Restore to force an older firmware, get passed signing and start the restore, you have to STAY connected to WiFi because iTunes will periodically check the internet while restoring. It's really stupid. I started the restore, thought "Okay it's loading the firmware now so I can leave this wretched parking lot and start returning to work."

Nope!

As soon as I got out of WiFi range, I got an iTunes error. I don't know exactly why it requires this but I feel like this is a serious software issue.

What if someone is out in a deserted area, their phone bricks and they have to restore it to call 911? No WiFi, I guess you'll be showing up in a news report after they find your dead body. Too bad, should've gotten stranded at a McDonald's.

Well I don't thinkers tetherme. I've got that and mywi no problems

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Nope!

The last sentence is the only reasonable one :)

xiwong

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2013

Precisely what I thought. There are plenty of sales this weekend on iPads and iPad sales haven't been doing so well this year, so I can imagine they're trying to tailor to one more customer group to boost numbers.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Precisely what I thought. There are plenty of sales this weekend on iPads and iPad sales haven't been doing so well this year, so I can imagine they're trying to tailor to one more customer group to boost numbers.

Yep, I don't think Apple's changed their philosophy on jailbreak, closing the exploits, releasing new firmware, and closing the window, I think they're more acting out of self-interest and would rather you have a 'non-apple' apple experience while still contributing towards their sales numbers and bottom line vs switching to Android, or staying on legacy devices and contributing towards greater fragmentation (the iOS adoption charts always speak for major iOS updates, not necessarily who's on 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, 8.1, etc.)

Mrmikey7

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
I have a newbie question guys. I'm having some soringboard crashing issues. I wanna re jailbreak. Can I just do the normal iTunes back up and restore or do I have to do something special to be able to restore to 8.1 or will it just do it automatically if I don't want to upgrade? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I couldn't find a definitive answer reading through the thread.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
I have a newbie question guys. I'm having some soringboard crashing issues. I wanna re jailbreak. Can I just do the normal iTunes back up and restore or do I have to do something special to be able to restore to 8.1 or will it just do it automatically if I don't want to upgrade? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I couldn't find a definitive answer reading through the thread.

You'll have to download and select the ipsw firmware file for 8.1 for your model and hold shift and press "Restore" in iTunes and select it.
As for the backup, it should be fine. I've backuped and restored from jb backups and been fine in iTunes.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Yes. Download the 8.1 IPSW firmware file for your device. Then hold left shift and click on restore. This will open a window where you select the 8.1 firmware on your computer. Make sure you have Internet connection while you do the restore.

Mrmikey7

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
Yes. Download the 8.1 IPSW firmware file for your device. Then hold left shift and click on restore. This will open a window where you select the 8.1 firmware on your computer. Make sure you have Internet connection while you do the restore.

Thanks so much for the responses guys. Can u possibly provide a link for the iPhone 6 8.1 ipsw file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.