Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I'm definitely on the bandwagon for the smaller iPhone.

By the time you put it in a protective case, which is basically a requirement for me, my 4 is a brick in my pocket.

I get that women can just toss a Plus in their purse, and professionals who wear jackets have a pocket for them - but I'd rather Jony Ives focus on protecting the phone and making it smaller.

Maybe Apple should hire a regular guy named "Ray" or something who isn't effeminate to design phones for men?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Seems to be a hysteria of getting larger and larger phones.

At the same time most electronics is getting smaller and smaller.

I remember Steve Jobs and his thesis that you should be able to handle your iPhone with one hand.

I am looking forward to the Apple Watch and I really want Apple to either produce a smaller iPhone or at least update the 5s.

I am a part of a very small percentage but still wanted to raise my voice.

Thanks for reading.

I was very happy about iphone 5S dimensions, but I have to confess the iPhone 6 is a better solution. Not too big, but bigger enough to help me in any content fruition. Im not a fan of phablets, and I can't use my Lumia 1520 as my daily driver, but Im very happy about iPhone 6 dimensions.

----------

It surprises me when people cite Apple Pay as a reason for buying or staying with a phone. I couldn't care less about it.
maybe because not being american you can't use it .... :rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Since I have small hands, the 6 and 6+ are too big for me. So yes, I prefer smaller smartphones.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
As I'm sure has been said, it all depends on hand size. I tried out the 6 plus in the store, and I could handle it just fine with one hand. But for some people its very different. I don't think they should just take away the option of a smaller phone. I have an iPod touch, and I like it because it is just so easy to handle, and it is super thin and super light (a millimetre thinner and about half the weight of the 6 plus) and for some people that would be fine, but I usually go to my iPad for most things, because it just doesn't work on that tiny 4-inch screen the way it does on the 9.7-inch screen. Apple and developers have done a great job putting iPad like features onto the 6 plus. if they keep that going, I would definitely want a 6 plus as my next phone.
As for the standard iPhone 6, it's more like a scaled up version of old iPhone software, so it is sort of the same experience as before. That combined with the fact that it doesn't feel as great to hold with one hand makes me feel that it is a bad screen size for me.
4 or 5.5 for me, nothing in between

----------

As I'm sure has been said, it all depends on hand size. I tried out the 6 plus in the store, and I could handle it just fine with one hand. But for some people its very different. I don't think they should just take away the option of a smaller phone. I have an iPod touch, and I like it because it is just so easy to handle, and it is super thin and super light (a millimetre thinner and about half the weight of the 6 plus) and for some people that would be fine, but I usually go to my iPad for most things, because it just doesn't work on that tiny 4-inch screen the way it does on the 9.7-inch screen. Apple and developers have done a great job putting iPad like features onto the 6 plus. if they keep that going, I would definitely want a 6 plus as my next phone.
As for the standard iPhone 6, it's more like a scaled up version of old iPhone software, so it is sort of the same experience as before. That combined with the fact that it doesn't feel as great to hold with one hand makes me feel that it is a bad screen size for me.
4 or 5.5 for me, nothing in between

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
You're not the only one. I shared this thought until I used a big phone - now I'll never go back. My friend who still has his 4s says the same thing. But I imagine his mind will change once he uses a big phone. My wife was similar - she used a 5s (and she's 5'1 with tiny hands) and got a 6+ and can't imagine ever going to something smaller. She definitely spends a lot more time on her phone (6+ vs the 5s).
Same here although with Android. I am actually tired using phones with a 5 inch screen. I am willing to go as far as 6 inches esp with the way how I customize my phone. Anything under 4.5 inches would feel too cramped for me. Too many mistakes at texting since I usually type in portrait and too narrow even if SwiftKey is adjusted to the biggest size.

Other main reason why PHABLET sized phones have become very popular isn't mainly from media consumption but also BATTERY LIFE. I read many reviews from cheaper phones stating the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 (6.1 inch/3900 mAh) and ZTE ZMAX (5.7 inch/3400 mAh) with extremely great battery life. It is probably why I would always pick the larger sized iPhone. Bigger is better for me. I don't really see advantages of smaller screens except one-handed use and pocketability. Phones like iPhone 6+, Note 4, Nexus 6, and Mate7 are phones I would get next. Anything under 4.5 inches or smaller than iPhone 6 would look like a toy to me.

This phablet movement has already started in Asia a couple years ago. It simply hasn't caught on in the US since Apple is still the most popular OEM here and didn't release the 6+ until six months ago.

Phabulous Phablet advantages -
- Better media consumption
- Faster and less mistakes at texting
- Bigger capacity battery with better stamina
- Harder not to lose in your pocket

As long as we never reach the size of the Zack Morris phone. Jimmy Fallon's "Saved By The Bell reunion" skit was fantastic though!

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I don't really see advantages of smaller screens except one-handed use and pocketability.

- Bigger capacity battery with better stamina
- Harder not to lose in your pocket

Duh, the advantage of small screen is smaller sized phone.

Bigger capacity battery is very important to some, meaningless to others, me included. If you typically charge your phone every night, and has a life such that you don't spend hours on the phone everyday, and at the end of your day you only use 50% of your battery (believe me, a large number of these people exist), then extra battery capacity is meaningless. All it means it that you can skip charging every other day which save you 5 seconds a day of not having to plug your phone in before bed.

Harder not to lose in your pocket? In your bag may be, but none of the iPhones get lost in a normal pocket. They are not that small.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Start getting use to the 4.7" iphone 6 now because it'll be the smallest phone you can get. 4.7 isn't that big. When all phones are 5" and higher, thats when you should start lamenting the excessive size of these new phones.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Nope, you're not alone. I really like the form factor of my 5 and wish the 6 was still 4". My mom just upgraded to a 5s from an LG EnV3. I'm not positive, but size was probably a factor for her as well. My dad and brother both have 4Ses, and my boyfriend also has a 5 and hates the look of the 6.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Definitely not alone! I have the 6+ and I really do love it. But there are times the small form factor is better. I kept my 5s until I was sure about the 6 plus. I ended up keeping both. I hope Apple doesn't completely abandon the smaller phones.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If you look at all the Android phones, I think we are starting to reach its limit for phablets. Screens now range from 4 inches to 6 inches. I didn't see recently announced devices at 6.5+ or whatever except maybe the Fonepads. I don't think we need to find a healthy medium. There is no one size fits all here. Everybody is different. Many nice devices ranging from the still solid 5s at 4 inches, to Xperia Z1 Compact at 4.3 inches to Nexus 6 at nearly 6 inches.

We shouldn't try to find the perfect screen size because we are fickle. What might seem perfect now might not be next month. I remember in 2010, I saw the HTC Evo and thought it was too bulky at 4.3 inches. Now I can't go back to any phone under 5 inches. Our taste and needs changes over time. Having a small phone everytime may not be ideal to someone to use forever and ever. You will settle for it for awhile only to feel complacent. Enough people enjoy variety to try new things. That's how tech works. It keeps changing and we keep changing for it.

nmichave

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I bought the 6 plus because I watch a lot of YouTube and I love the big screen. (I don't own an iPad or tablet) I'm having trouble, as others are, using it one handed, though. I picked up my old 5c the other day and was stupidly and wildly amazed at how tiny it seemed after a couple of months on the 6+. I kind of miss how tiny it is. My hand seemed so HUGE. There is a lot to be said for smaller iPhones. You're not an idiot.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
I would love a return to smaller iPhones. I can't use a 6 with one hand (not to mention the 6+), which is a deal breaker because it means I can't use it on the go.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I currently have a 6 plus. I could do a phone the size of a 6 but never got back to the 5S or 4S size. I quickly got used to the size of the 6 Plus and absolutely everything aside from holding it up to your head to talk on the phone is a superior experience to the 4" and 3.5" Iphones. Typing is much faster and easier. Watching videos is finally practical as well. The 5S feels like a small toy in comparison now. I will admit that I was wrongly against larger phones before. Now I can never go back.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I have both.

6+ for office work during week but 5s on weekends. I miss being able to tuck phone into jeans and so the smaller version is a nice option.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Seems to be a hysteria of getting larger and larger phones.

At the same time most electronics is getting smaller and smaller.

I remember Steve Jobs and his thesis that you should be able to handle your iPhone with one hand.

I am looking forward to the Apple Watch and I really want Apple to either produce a smaller iPhone or at least update the 5s.

I am a part of a very small percentage but still wanted to raise my voice.

Thanks for reading.
Good chance that you are.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I suspect the size of your phone has a lot to do with your age and your lifestyle.

If you spend a lot of time in the office, on the train, on the bus, at school, sitting around with your buddies in your parents basement :D, watching a lot of videos, playing games, then you are more likely to opt for a 6+.

On the other hand if you have a more physically active life, spend a lot of time with people face to face, have many other things to do than spending hours surfing on your phone, send less than 1000 texts a day, don't frequent this forum, then you are more likely opt for a smaller phone.

Those would be my guesses.

- Jung

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Having a 6 definitely sold me on the advantages of a larger-screened iPhone, which I wouldn't have emphasized as heavily. Going back to my 4S it's shocking how small it is, and gives me that "I got stuff done on this screen?"-type feelings. The tradeoff in size is fairly negligible for me, coming from a 4S that was in an Otterbox to a 6 that has a Luvvitt case—it's no wider than the iPhone 4S and much much thinner, so it fits in my pockets a lot better (and doesn't wear impressions into the denim too, which is a nice side benefit.) The boost in battery life is probably a bit exaggerated since I was using the 4S for three years, but on paper it's certainly nice. I'm a light user on my average workday so I don't need to charge it for two or three days at a time.

That basically leaves the disadvantages of not being able to reach all parts of the screen as easily, which is minor in my case (small hands, but long fingers), and the matter of the camera. Actually using the 6 one-handed and hitting the shutter button on screen or hardware is more difficult, especially if you want to switch between settings. It's not a dealbreaker, but it is something that I notice every time I'm in that situation.

I'd love for Apple to offer a 4" flagship phone like they used to, or even just a smaller 4.2, 4.3" size, and try that out. Probably as long as battery life was fairly close (so it was a bit thicker, I guess) I'd probably go back, but it's not a huge wedge issue for me—I'm very happy with my 6, just like I was with the 4S.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
After getting a 6+ for my Mom yesterday and using it and 5 extensively, I do agree smaller devices have some uses like say working out in a gym or taking a jog. But for most other uses, I do prefer the 6+. Very hard for me to type on this 5 using SwiftKey after getting used to using it on a 5 inch device. And iOS version of SwiftKey is inferior since it doesn't have as many features as Android's and just the smaller screen. After owning phones with 440-468ppi, phones with 326ppi also don't look as sharp to me esp in text. So preferably 6+ with FHD in its 400+ ppi for me in most uses.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I purposely bought the 5s because at the time I always carried my phone attached to my belt and I just couldn't picture carrying a larger phone that way. However, I'm now carrying more and more in my shirt pocket and I can see where the larger screen size of the regular 6 would be nice. Right now I can't imagine going much larger than the 6, we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.